Hair products (Propecia/Rogaine)

Spartacus

Guest F16PilotMD

No, you cannot use Rogain (minoxidil). It is "not waiverable".

Can't find anything on hair transplants. Can't see why they would be a problem.

They will certainly earn you a call sign...that you probably won't like.

(If you could see my cranium, you'd know I'm allowed to make those jokes)

A common side-effect to Rogaine from my reading is syncope.

"Syncope (SIN'ko-pe) is temporary loss of consciousness and posture, described as "fainting" or "passing out." It's usually related to temporary insufficient blood flow to the brain. It's a common problem, accounting for 3 percent of emergency room visits and 6 percent of hospital admissions.

It most often occurs when the blood pressure is too low (hypotension) and the heart doesn't pump a normal supply of oxygen to the brain."

Seems like a good reason to me. Maybe the experts have something more to add.

Guest F16PilotMD

Most medications that are not approved just have not been tested. Nothing, and I mean nothing, gets approved without extensive research and testing by "Brooks". Some drugs have known side-effects that scare them away. I don't know much about Rogaine or Propecia--probably a combination of both not tested and potential side-effects. Syncope is not common with Rogaine. I may be that, of the very few side-effects that do occur, syncope is listed. That is irrelevant to the civilian world and unacceptable to the pilot world. Yes, that makes sense I guess but...look up the potential side effects of Aspirin or Tylenol...it will scare you. The list goes on and on.

Bottom line is don't look for a reason for each drug to not make the list. Most often, you won't find a good reason.

• 3 years later...
Guest Micro-Brew

Does anybody know if Propecia is in the testing process to be approved. (like in the next 5-10 years). I probably won't need it until I hit mid 40's, but I'm just curious. (I'm pretty vain about my hair...not gonna lie..... lol)

• 1 month later...
Guest Mike Brogan
Does anybody know if Propecia is in the testing process to be approved. (like in the next 5-10 years). I probably won't need it until I hit mid 40's, but I'm just curious. (I'm pretty vain about my hair...not gonna lie..... lol)

"2"

My hair has been steadily falling out since my early 20s. I've still got some left, but my Dad, who is in his 50s and has been on propecia for years has much more hair than I do, with zero side-effects! I'd like to get on that stuff as soon as it is approved...hell, I'll even volunteer to help Brooks test it!

• 2 months later...
Guest PAFly
"2"

My hair has been steadily falling out since my early 20s. I've still got some left, but my Dad, who is in his 50s and has been on propecia for years has much more hair than I do, with zero side-effects! I'd like to get on that stuff as soon as it is approved...hell, I'll even volunteer to help Brooks test it!

Sorry if this is too late, but I just read this and thought I would let you know that you are allowed to take Propecia now without a waiver....one of my classmates is now taking it and he said all he had to do was let the flight doc know.

As far as Rogaine, not sure all I know is about Propecia because I might start it myself.

Does anyone know if hair transplants would make you DNIF for an extended time or not?

Does anyone know if hair transplants would make you DNIF for an extended time or not?

I have no knowledge of hair transplant procedures, but in general, when you are no longer under medication you are no longer DNIF.

• 1 month later...