Contact Dermatitis

Guest NimitsTexan

Guest NimitsTexan

1. Is Contact Dermatitis (in this case caused by nickel) considered an allergic reaction, and does it have any effect on flying status?

2. In regards to the boxes on all those medical forms, does nickel-induced contact dermatitis require that the "Have been diagnosed with allergy" box be checked?

(P.S. Already have FC1 approved, commissioned, and in IFT).

[ 08. September 2004, 20:39: Message edited by: NimitsTexan ]

Guest NimitsTexan

It came up during my Flying Class 1. A suspicious looking rash had me sent to a civilian dermatologist, who diagnosed it as contact dermatitis caused by nickel (common according to at least two civilian doctors I have spoken too). Letter to that effect was placed in my medical records, and FC1 was approved without waiver, so I guess it was not big deal . . .

Anyway, my question was more to whether this is techinically considered an allergy or not, especially in reference to flying status, so I can know how to reply to future medical questioneers. If it is not technically an allergy, I would rather not mention (as mentioning medical "problems" unnecessarily can cause more than its share of trouble).

[ 09. September 2004, 08:51: Message edited by: NimitsTexan ]

Guest F16PilotMD

I would not call it an allergy. This is (I think) the most common metal to which people have a reaction. Very, very common.

• 3 years later...

I searched around and could not really find anything on poison ivy and contact dermatitis. I have applied to the current 08OT03 board for a pilot/nav slot. I have yet to do my FC1 yet but just two weeks ago i got an extremely severe case of poison ivy on my ankles/legs, arms etc. So i had to go to the ER and follow up for 4 days and then followup again last week with a dermatologist. I was put on prednisone, antihistamines and antibiotics. The dermatologist added another 12 days of prednisone last week after being on it for 10 days. I am just wondering if this will have any impact on my FC1, if and when it comes time to have it (i.e. would this be disqualifying)? Also is there anything else i would need to do except to notify my recruiter and would anything have to be changed with my records since i never had this when i had my initial MEPS physical back in feb? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Edited by Dukecush