Hip/buttock to knee length

pirate

I received my FC1 back today from AETC and I was disqualified for the hip to knee measurement (28in). I called the base that I took the original FC1 and they told me to come in and they would do it again. I went in,they did it again and I passed(25 in). I had pretty good idea that something was screwed up because I am only 5'11 and I do not have freakishly low knees. My question is this. When I send my stuff back in to AETC will they recheck the entire thing or will they look at the amendment that says I'm not a freak and stamp it passed. I'm worried because I am running out of time for the upcoming reserve board. Thanks

Guest Bushmaster

Hey Pirate, good to hear you passed, I have a question, I am 5'11 too, I wanted to see my measurement, with a tape measure I measured from the top of the hip bone to the bottom of the knee cap... I don't know how they do it though it measured 22... What are the limits?

They mesure it while you are sitting with your legs bent at 90% and dangling off the edge of a table. They measure from the back of your butt along your leg to the point of your knee. The max is 27in if you are 5'11 and you don't require a special booth when you go to a resturant you will be fine. The easiest way to get an idea of how what your lenght will be pull a stool up to a wall, sit with your back straight against the wall and your upper leg straight out; bent at the knee 90% the mesure the distance from the wall to your knee. Hope that makes sense AFPAM 48-133 explans it better. Good luck

I still would like to know the answer to my original question. If the flight doc still comes to this board I could really use his advice now. I'm about to the point were I want to call my senator.

Thanks

Guest Flight Doc

This is one of those things you hate to see. It's one thing if someone can't be a military aviator because they don't meet the standards set by the powers that be, but when there is a simple goof that DQs someone who should have been qualified....

Anyway, they marry up the addendum (in this case the remeasurement of your hip to knee length) with the original exam and if it makes you qualified, you're done.

• 10 months later...
Guest Dirt Beater

I'm a pretty tall guy...6'4" and I have a good sitting height. I'm worried about the buttock to knee length though. I've tried measuring myself, but using a string and a ruler can't be accurate. If I am over the limit, what types of waivers, if any, are available for this? Anyone else have/had a similar problem? Thanks

Just found out the numbers this weekend if you didn't have them. SH is 34-40in, BK length is less than 27in. Sit with your back to the wall on a chair or table and have someone measure from the wall to the front of your knee. If you're within an inch or so you'll probably be fine. I'm 6'4 too and was a little worried but I have a friend who is 6'6 and out of almost every measurement who got a waiver to fly 16's.

Hope that helps.

-j

• 1 year later...
Guest ericvano

Wondering if someone could lend some info. I was accepted at the 05-03 OTS board for a pilot slot, and am in the final stages of completing my FC1.

I just received a call today that my buttock to knee measurement was half an inch too long at 27.5'' (I'm 6' tall, guess I've got a long femur). I was asked to come back for a re-measurement. Does anyone have any tricks to get it to 27'' the next time? And if not, what happens from there with waivers, etc?

The same thing happened to me. I am also 6' tall. When the airmen did the test he scribed the form in pencil and later came back and typed it in. When he did he screwed-up. My leg was like 24.5. I figure he confused his 4 for a 7 or something. Anyway don't sweet it. I would bet it's a mistake. Unless you are a really disproportioned knuckle dragger.