Applying to the AF and Marines at the same time?

Guest ceoc747
I am an interview away from being finished with my AF OTS application. My scores are 88p 80n and 91pcsm. I will not know if I am accepted until June 3

SO...I called a marine officer recruiter today just to get information and got off the phone with my head spinning and an appointment to take the ATSB next Wednesday. The recruiter said that pilot is a 'hot priority' for the marines right now and acceptance is not to hard to get. I have a friend who is flying t45's in Texas who went through OCC with the marines, what I would go through. He did mention that in OCC even the best candidates have a 20% chance of washing out due to unlucky events such as a twisted ankle. He confirmed the belief that most marines want helo's and C130’s and a lot of guys are upset to have to fly f18's or harriers. I figured I could start the application process with the marines and get a select/non-select after I find out from the AF. But after talking to the recruiter I think they might move much quicker than the AF. If I do apply I will try to slow things down so that I hear from the AF first.

So is there any reason I should not start applying to the Marines? Is there any chance it could compromise an AF pilot selection? I know the AF is a nicer life but if I get the feeling I have a strong chance of getting an 18 I do not know if I would turn down the Marines for the AF.

I just applied for Oct 08 board for both AF and Navy, and both have a grace period to respond...check with your recruiter, but you will have time. I believe Navy is 60 days but not sure. Plus, the board is a professional recommendation, pending you pass the flight physicals (AF) and physical/background check (NAVY), so you will have time even after you get the board selection letter. I got selected for both, so now I am doing the physicals, and even though I have made my decision...I am still pursuing both until I have one for sure. These OTS/OCS recruiters work for you...don't forget that. If you want to have 2 packets to 2 services, they have to make it work. Mine were great and this process has turned out well!!! Good luck!!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic