Nav Questions?

Guest Wxpunk

Guest Wxpunk

What's goin' on guys and gals? I know it's been a while since I've posted but hey, I've been busy!

Anywho, if anyone has any questions about the new UNT program (aka CSO training) fire away. I'm a little more than half-way through and if I haven't experienced it yet, I'm sure I know someone who has.

----------

Wxpunk

Guest AceLaRue

I was just searching the site (that's right I use the search function) for just that reason, my question though is about IFS and though you didn't go through it maybe you have insight: If I am scheduled to report NLT 29 July to Randolph and I have a class date in Nov, will I be doing IFS before or at that time? Thanks!

Guest ShortThrow
Originally posted by AceLaRue:

I was just searching the site (that's right I use the search function) for just that reason, my question though is about IFS and though you didn't go through it maybe you have insight: If I am scheduled to report NLT 29 July to Randolph and I have a class date in Nov, will I be doing IFS before or at that time? Thanks!

Can't answer your question, but I was just at randolph for the first time. Sweet base and facilities imo. Have fun!

Guest mikedjp
Originally posted by AceLaRue:

Assumig you're active duty you'll do IFS between 29 Jul and your class. You'll have a choice of flight schools, don't do what the latest dudes did who recently showed up and all went to the same school. Each school only has a 2 or 3 instructors, so if you want to get your 25 hours in a reasonable amount of time go to a school that isn't so busy. I was able to knock out all of my flying in 2 weeks at Southern Wings in New Braunfels. You don't want to show up at the end of July and still not be IFS complete by your class date. Amazingly people do spend over 2 months on IFS. Don't forget it takes at least a week to get approved after you pick a flight school.

Guest AceLaRue

Do you have any other suggestions for flight schools in the area? One other question: what are the odds of being able to get away for a weekend in late August to be in a wedding (NOT MINE)? Thanks for the info, that gives me a great outline for my summer/fall.

[ 22. March 2006, 12:15: Message edited by: AceLaRue ]

Guest mikedjp

You'll have no problem getting away for a weekend in late August. If it is within the 300 mile radius, you don't need to take leave. If not, you still shouldn't have any problem with taking leave to go. Take advantage of your time before your class starts, because studs generally don't take leave once your in class.

Go to Southern Wings. They'll work with you and you can fly as much as you can stand. Some schools are way more restrictive on wind and stuff like that. I've heard Check 6 is nice because you fly katanas instead of cessnas.

edit: spelling

[ 22. March 2006, 13:26: Message edited by: mikedjp ]

Guest Absolutlyfly

Is it hot in San Antonio during June? That is when I am going but the sun and I don't really get along.

And can you tell me how this EWO and CSO branching works? I have seen a little on each but how are people selected to go to either one, is one shorter then the other?

Thanks for your time, because there really isn't a lot of info out there on Navs let alone the new CSO program.

Guest Hydro130

Whatever...

Still hot in June, Riverwalk still rocks... Road trip to 6th St always still always a good time...

Have fun!

Hydro

Guest Navtastic

I did my time at Check 6 before they had the new sweet@ss planes. I'd recommend them on their program alone, even if I did have to fly around in the old Cessna puke buckets. They give you a full ground school (yes, it takes away from your party time, but it's totally worth it). The guy who runs the program is a retired F-15 pilot and loves, loves, loves to teach.

I agree with navtastic...Check 6 is a good place to go...the EWO and NAV programs are the same length, but you'll be doing a lot more work in the EWO program and you'll get more days off in the NAV program...don't let that make your decision for you though, you'll have plenty of time to talk to both EWOs and NAVs and decide what's best for you.

Guest Wxpunk

Ace,

You are correct in saying that I didn't go to IFT so I can't really answer the NLT question. I do know that you'll initially be in the NIFT Flight where you'll do your 25 or how-many-ever hours. The Captain that runs the flight is a cool cat.

As far as EWO vs NAV, the decision is partially yours and partially dependent on the drop. If you’re high in class rank you'll pretty much get your pick. If you're towards the bottom, expect to take what you can get. The drop depends entirely on the Air Force's needs.

And finally about Randolph/San Antonio: Beautiful base with lots to offer. This is probably due to the fact that there are so many officers on base.

San Antonio also has a lot to offer. There are plenty of things to do both at night and during the day...single or family. The River Walk is a great place to spend you nightlife but also offers fun things to do during the day. There is a Six Flags, water parks, a Sea World, and many other family type things to do. And lest we forget the historical value of San Antonio.

I hope this helps and keep the questions coming!

Good Luck!

-------------

Wxpunk

Guest Dabeers4444

Who's in charge of NIFT is always changing. But the current Capt it a great guy. As for how long your in NIFT is random. I was complete when I got here so I didn't have to wait long at all like 3 weeks or so. But some people waited 6 months or more. That is rare but possible still none the less. EWO vs Nav is up to the individual and everyone has different reasons for going either direction. My advice is to talk to everyone cause no matter who you talk to the other guy is the lame ass with a shitty job. Good luck

Guest AceLaRue

That was one of my questions I started off with on the thread...you need to fulfill your flight hours prior to your class date from what I understand. What else we'll be doing...someone else will have to answer.

Guest Navtastic

The NIFT flight guys are pretty much responsible for keeping the 562nd clean. I'm not kidding. You'll be cleaning windows and pressure-washing bird doo off the building every time a bigwig is scheduled to tour the squadron. To avoid being tasked to do that junk, I volunteered a couple times a month to go down to the MEPS at Ft Sam Houston to swear in the new recruits before they left for basic. Volunteer for something semi-cool every once in a while, and you won't be voluntold to do the scut work.

Guest Navtastic
Originally posted by sirjrod00:

When I was in NIFT we had to put together a lot of inflight guides for the bookstore for the squadrons on base...pretty boring job, but it was better than some of the other stuff they had going on there for us to do.

Mmmm, rainbow pages. I suggest you become intimately familiar with the pink pages.

Guest Wxpunk

They need to be intimately familiar with the yellow pages first...particularly the ones with black stripes. Of course, the salmon pages are great to know during sim failures.

Yur mom.

--------------

Wxpunk

Guest gonads

Some points to make here....

1) Everyone in my nav/ewo class wishes they were still in San Antonio. Best F'ing time we have ever had.

2) No one regreted staying Nav or going EWO. Remember that. However (comma) I LOVE being an EWO! At no time did I ever think I should have stayed Nav.

3) Casual/NIFT is the greatest scam ever. You have 3 hour work days (at the longest) and things only get busier when you start.

4) Don't go to the run of the mill Mexican chain places while you are in SAT. Go find one that you think might have a health code violation or two. It will be the best mexican food you have ever had.

5) There is a greasy burger place out the main gate called Chesters. They have great food and a $2 bottle of rootbeer that has as much flavor as a microbrew. Great stuff.

6) There is a waterpark in New Braunfels called Schlitterbaun that is the best in the country (according to the Travel Channel). Also, take the time to float the rivers. You won't realize how drunk you are until you try and stand up at the end!

7) Wear a baseball cap with your favorite team on it in the plane under your headset. No, you won't get in trouble. I even had a pair of fuzzy dice I used.

8) You are supposed to be confused at the beginning. Don't get frustrated.

9) Ask what you need to do to get a "4" on mission prep. You get points for doing non-useful things to your chart. No, it doesn't make sense, but just play the game. Also, the classes above you should have a bunch of gouge. I had a ton and I gave it to every class until CSO started. They changed the routes and the forms so what I had was useless to the later classes.

10) HAVE A F'ING GREAT TIME! You have no real responsibility, start you masters, and find yourself a wife. But above all......

11) DON'T TAKE YOURSELF SERIOUSLY! (no one else does)

[ 27. March 2006, 07:00: Message edited by: Gonads ]