CAT III Approaches

Guest H3NAV

I'm looking for information on airfield required equipment for a CAT III approach (Marker beacons, lighting, etc.) or any reference to an AF or DOD Manual covering CAT IIIs. Thanks

Ch 19 will give you a little info on equipment, but it's mostly procedures.

Appendix A of FAR part 91 also has a min aicraft equipment listing.

Try looking around the FARs a little but.

HD

[ 20. September 2006, 20:17: Message edited by: HerkDerka ]

Guest Hydro130

I've been out the game for while, do we still have the Advanced Instrument School at Randolph? They had a damn good website (dot mil only) -- email links to SME AIS cadre in particular.

I've pinged them with questions in the past, and always got prompt and complete answers...

Cheers, Hydro

EDIT: I can't check that AFFSA IRC link on the Baseops.net main page (Mr. Hydro these days), but that link may get you in the right neighborhood. IIRC, AFFSA had a link to the AIS page in there somewhere...

[ 20. September 2006, 20:14: Message edited by: Hydro130 ]

CatIII requires special aircraft equipment, special aircrew certification, special runway lights and equipment.

Here are CatIIIa Highlights as an example, there are more categories of CatIII approaches, based on company and aircraft rules and restrictions, other CatIII's do not require visual reference to land. All must be Auto-coupled/Auto-land.

CatIIIa three RVR readouts required, TDZ, MID are controlling, RO Adv only (if equipped far end may sub for inop RO). HIRL,TDZ,CL required, ALSF1 or 2 (SFL may be INOP) **they are behind you when you get to AH**. Cannot land if reported RVR is below minimums, must initiate missed approach no later than DH/AH.

[ 22. September 2006, 23:17: Message edited by: TheBurt ]