More PA Baffoonery!

C17Driver

Check out the last paragraph. Apparently the T-38 is being replaced by the T-6 now...

by Tech. Sgt. Cecilio M. Ricardo Jr.

Air Force Print News

7/23/2006 - SHEPPARD AIR FORCE BASE, Texas (AFPN) -- United States and European pilots may have language barriers but at the Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training wing, they all speak the same language -- avionics.

In the 55-week ENJJPT program, approximately 250 American and European students earn their wings yearly. Of those graduating, about 65 percent are American pilots and the remainder are European. The integrated training of U.S. and European forces prepares NATO pilots for real-world operations.

"We train like we fight -- with a coalition flavor in training which translates into a seamless working environment in the field," said Col. Jeff Kendall, 80th Fighter Wing commander.

In 1974, the NATO alliance created the ENJJPT program to overcome poor weather conditions and restricted airspace in Europe. NATO and the U.S. decided that Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas, could offer the best combination of good flying weather and adequate training airspace, plus it had growth potential.

In its top two positions, the ENJJPT wing has a U.S. Air Force wing commander and a German air force operations group commander.

As an example of this integrated structure, an American student pilot may have a Norwegian instructor, a Dutch flight commander, an Italian section commander, a German operations officer and a Danish squadron commander.

"A line of trust between NATO pilots forms because of this training environment," Colonel Kendall said.

"All NATO pilots come through this program," said Capt. Lars Holten, who attended as a student in 1994. After flying an F-16 Fighting Falcon for 10 years and serving in Afghanistan, Captain Holten is now an instructor with the ENJJPT program.

"What makes ENJJPT different is the diverse perspectives and techniques I learn from my international friends," said 1st Lt. Stephen Thomas.

Armed with real-world pilot experience, clear weather, modern facilities and training jets such as the T-37 Tweet and T-38 Talon, the ENJJPT wing sends most of its students into weapon systems aircraft -- bombers and fighters.

What really sets this Texas facility apart are its state-of-the-art flight simulators, providing unique tactical, weather and emergency scenarios.

"Our simulators save the Air Force money while providing invaluable training," said Lt. Col. Jeff Roach.

An upcoming upgrade to the ENJJPT arsenal will be the replacement of the T-38 Talon trainer with the T-6 Texan in 2008.

[ 04. August 2006, 05:44: Message edited by: Toro ]

Guest nunya

And apparently only bombers and fighters are "weapon systems aircraft."

[ 23. July 2006, 18:19: Message edited by: nunya ]

Guest cbire880

Aren't Sheppard's flight sims significantly less advanced than the JSUPT bases? I thought that was the reason for the extra flying hours at ENJJPT.

Guest Rainman A-10
Originally posted by C17Driver:

"We train like we fight -- with a coalition flavor in training which translates into a seamless working environment in the field," said Col. Jeff Kendall, 80th Fighter Wing commander.

Jeff, hate to break the news to you but you're not training to fight, you're not a fighter wing commander and it is not a seamless working environment with the coalition units (except the Brits and Aussies who do their own pilot training).

It is just undergraduate pilot training.

Guest Dirt Beater

Up until just about a year ago or so we only had "links" for the tweet and 38A, which provide fully functioning instruments and stick forces but there's no screen or anything fancy. I thought they worked great for instruments with a few other decent applications too. I dont know when the C model sims started arriving but I would say there are 6 or 7 enclosed 360-degree view sims and another 5 or 6 setups that have a pretty decent sized screen in front of the canopy "bow." Couldn't tell you about any T6 sims, not sure if there are any yet.