Tinted (amber) Visor

Guest Bushmaster

Guest Bushmaster
I watched a guy take a round in the chow line two people in front of me.
What was he? AF? Army?

Originally posted by Toro:

Double ear protection is not a flat-out rule for the flightline - the only time I've ever done it was in Tweets. The guy has his helmet on for exercise purposes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm pretty sure it is a rule for mx guys.

Yep, double ear protection is prescribed by AFOSH standards any time you fire up a power unit, air cart, or any other noisy equipment (like the jet on an engine run)...it's also required in backshops like Fab shop where they're always running drills, grinders and bucking rivits...

Guest txaggie_99
Originally posted by Bushmaster:

Do all visors shield harmful UV?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was told yes by the LS techs at CBM - even the clear visors.

I think they're smoking crack. I have gotten sunburns on my fore-skull and upper cheeks many times while flying with my visor down -- specifically I recall this happenening during pond crossings with both a high contrast and a smoked visor.

For those of you still wondering, here's the Gentex website who manufactures the visors Gentex ...if you look at the specs, it does not mention any UV protection, however the specs state they comply with MIL-V-43511 and from what I found they call for UV protection...it took a while to find it, but at least it's a not bullshit answer. It's also 30 minutes of my life I'll never get back... :D

Guest croftfam
Originally posted by Bushmaster:

This must be some sort of exercise and he must be waiting, ready to go... You can see he is sitting next to his jet, the reflection from his visor. I have never seen AF guys flying with the vest on, never seen our Apache guys either, that is why I was wondering. I thought it was mostly for people on the ground, combat arms etc...

In the sandbox we fly with some kind of body armor. I guess that's a little different though.

EDIT: I should caviat that with, "I haven't actually been there yet." From talking with those who have from the 60 community though, that's how it goes.

[ 13. June 2005, 16:10: Message edited by: heloguy ]