Huey II pics

Guest JollyFlight21

Guest croftfam

Well, I got a forward a while back from the cadre at Rucker. This is what the Huey II will be. Pretty gucci! It's as good as going from the tweet to the t-6!

TH1HCO1.jpg

TH-1HR1.jpg

Guest HueyPilot

I know the ARNG is considering buying some for their Light Utility Helicopter requirement, but is the USAF getting a few for the Ft Rucker program? Just curious...noticed the AETC patch on the door and the USAF above the 45 deg. gearbox.

Anyways, looks pretty nice. Much better than the old H and V models I used to fly. I hear it'll have the T53-L-703 used in the Cobra? More power...but geez, those T53s burn some gas. Better engine would be the T800 that was dumped from the RAH-66 program.

The Huey is still one of my favorite aircraft of all time. Slow, ugly, but extremely dependable. Just a great all-round aircraft...I miss flying them sometimes.

Guest croftfam

Rucker is actually getting like 30 of them or something. Completely replacing the H model fleet. I think they should replace the N model with this too. Much better helo than the N even with the Cobra engine.

Guest Wxpunk
Nice, but where'd the second engine go?

And the skids?

Government confidence in American aircraft industry...second engine would hurt the economy. :D

Skids? This is the amphibious Marine version. Only catch is 1.3 second critical buoyancy limit...fast Marines are required for aqueous capture. :D

-------------

Wxpunk

Guest DangerousLT

Ah, if only they could be ready by the time I get there. I seriously doubt it. Sucks, I miss out on the T-6 as well as the Huey II.

Guest Rainman A-10
Originally posted by heloguy:

Much better helo than the N even with the Cobra engine.

No way.

I will take another engine over glass everytime. Not even close for me.

Guest HueyPilot

Rainman...in the N model Huey, the second engine doesn't really provide much margin for operations. I don't even think the N model can really fly on one engine...more or less a (more) controlled descent.

Fixed-wingers are used to the idea that a second engine provides a (marginal) level flight capability. In some helicopters, they can fly OK with OEI (Black Hawks, etc). But the N model is terrible at OEI flight.

As for where the second engine went...it never existed in those airframes to being with. They are modifying UH-1H models to the Huey II variant. The H model Hueys had a single T53-L-13B engine that produced something like 1,400 shp. I believe the -703s produce around 1,800 shp.

NOW, the question is...will Bell modify the Huey IIs transmission to handle more than 1,100 shp?

Guest croftfam
Originally posted by HueyPilot:

NOW, the question is...will Bell modify the Huey IIs transmission to handle more than 1,100 shp?

As far as I know, they are putting in a much better xmsn to handle the added power.

Guest HueyPilot

That's great...I wish I could fly one. That's one durable aircraft...my grandfather, dad and I all flew the H model Huey during our careers.

Guest rotorhead

Lots of info on the Huey II on the net, including: http://www.defensedaily.com/cgi/rw/show_ma...le=0802huey.htm

This "brawny Huey" is weaker than the one they gave to the Iranians over 30 years ago! Instead of 1800 max HP, we gave the Shah just under 3000 on one motor!

Later, they stretched the beast and put two Black Hawk engines on.

Go to http://www.airliners.net for photos. Search for Bell 214.

By the way, in case you are not familiar with that site, you're gonna lose your mind and hours of time there!

Guest HueyPilot

The Bell 214 is a beast...Air Logistics and PHI have a few. I used to see them flying around Louisiana often. Sounds just like the AH-1 Cobra when flying around with those massive wide-chord rotors.

Guest Rainman A-10
Originally posted by HueyPilot:

Rainman...in the N model Huey, the second engine doesn't really provide much margin for operations. I don't even think the N model can really fly on one engine...more or less a (more) controlled descent.

Fixed-wingers are used to the idea that a second engine provides a (marginal) level flight capability. In some helicopters, they can fly OK with OEI (Black Hawks, etc). But the N model is terrible at OEI flight.

I agree, the N model is not so great single engine. However...

I have lost engines in both the UH-1F and UH-1N. N model lose an engine and it is really a non-event. As for the F model, I've never been more scared in my life than the few moments between the engine quitting and being on the ground. If you think the N model has crappy single engine flight characteristics try losing a motor in a single engine Huey.

Just MHBAO.

Guest HueyPilot

I haven't lost an engine in an H or V model, but I had the skid cross tubes fail on an H once. Was doing some run-on landing work, and the skids split wide open...it's funny how fast you can get an aircraft shut down when you see the MR blades swing within inches of the ground.

BTW, investigation revealed hairline stress fractures on both cross tubes, and then they inspected the whole fleet at Rucker and found a bunch of them that were about to fail. Ironically, that run-on landing was pretty smooth, and the IP was in the middle of telling me how good of a job I did...