Dating a foreign citizen

Guest joyrider

Guest joyrider

I'm headed for OTS soon to be followed by UPT. I've recently started dating a 1st generation American-born Turkish girl with dual citizenship. I'm not sure what lies in our future, but she's pretty awesome and things are already fairly serious. Could this situation hinder a TS clearance, especially if things got more serious down the road between us?

Guest CoupPawn
Originally posted by cb03t:

No chance. If it was 2nd generation, no problem. Sorry.

I think I may have to wave the BS flag here, because my father was born in Cuba and became a naturalized citizen like 30 years after he got here. This would make me technically first generation born in the US. I had absolutely no problems getting a TS security clearance.

I would ask someone more in the know, but if she was born in the US, then she is technically a US citizen. I wouldn't worry too much about it, but definitely ask someone with more authority.

Guest boson69
Originally posted by joyrider:

I'm headed for OTS soon to be followed by UPT. I've recently started dating a 1st generation American-born Turkish girl with dual citizenship. I'm not sure what lies in our future, but she's pretty awesome and things are already fairly serious. Could this situation hinder a TS clearance, especially if things got more serious down the road between us?

I have a little bit of experience with the clearance process because I wasn't born in US and some of my family is still in Russia... Long story short - it's on based on need - if "they" need you, you'll get it.

One suggestion though - once you get closer to getting a TS or getting (permanently) hooked up with this girl, have her renounce her Turkish citizenship - it'll make your life a lot easier. If she complains - why would anyone want to be a citizen of anything when you are already a citizen of the United States?

Maybe you should be waving the sarcasm flag before you break out the BS flag.

The dude who posted this did mention that she has dual citizenship. She is not "technically a US citizen", she is a US citizen.

As for the original question, friends who have "international" connections have told me that they just had to dig a little deeper regarding overseas influence, and ask a few more questions.

Lots of people worry about their clearances - unless you've been convicted of a crime, been in some serious financial trouble, or were a founding member of Islamic Jihad, you're probably going to be OK.

If you're curious, ask the investigator. The ones I've talked to have always been pretty honest and open about the whole process.

Guest boson69

I agree with Young Crow -

And as far as honesty goes - ALWAYS put down what it is, no ifs or buts - if you lie, they WILL find out, and then you're screwed for sure - possibly prosecuted.

Guest nkwilson

I am a dual citizen with South Africa and am having no problem getting my TS, just a slightly slower process and they ask more questions. I say 0 problem for you!