529 College savings

Guest C-21 Pilot

Guest C-21 Pilot

Posted by WildBill in thread Roth IRA

While we're at it, who knows about 529 College Programs, not trying to threadjack.
WildBill,

This is by far the best research tool that I have found on the ol' internet about the subject.

http://www.savingforcollege.com/

I recommend using USAA, but sometimes, you can find better % rates (mere fractions) if you shop around. If you do bank with USAA, there is an easy step by step process...

I also recommend hitting up the grandparents, uncles, aunts, etc...you could easily ask for a $10-20 a month donation into the account. We also encourage the relatives that if they want to give money as a present, they give 50% of what they were going to send in cash, the other in a donation.

I'm sure you can easily fork $50-100 out of your pocket (2 nights out eating dinner), and with contributions - could make a pretty good donation.

I would also like to point out this website:

www.upromise.com

Self explaining website - but a GREAT way to save $$$ on everyday shopping.

Guest SnakeT38

Whatever you do, if you go with a firm that

does age based portfolio's check the expenses.

I have tried two different companies for

the 2 I am doing, finally just went to American Funds and set it up through them.

I don't like how conservative the age based portfolios were early in the deal. The companies were making as much as I was based on the fees.