ACTIVE PSDM 23-54: 2024 Active Duty Flying Training Board

Recaged

20 hours ago, Blue said:

If I recall correctly, when folks are talking about an "Active Duty Flying Training Board," they're referring to a board to select current Air Force officers for flying training (pilot, Nav, ABM, UAV, etc).  So, you have to be an active duty Air Force Officer in order to apply.

I read "Active Duty Officer Board" to mean a board for people wishing to become active duty AF officers, not a board for people who were already active duty AF officers. I'll see myself out...

I'm a prior service O from another branch. Like you mentioned, IST is suspended; the AD Flying board is for current AF officers, and the Line Officers board is for civilians or enlisted personnel seeking to become AF officers. As far as I can tell there is no path for prior service officers from other branches to enter the Air Force. Unless I'm missing something (please tell me if I am!) it looks like my only option is to continue pursuing a slot in the guard. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/6/2023 at 7:02 AM, dillonberg92 said:

To everything but my PCSM and AFOQT scores. New letter of Rec from a really great 2-star, took a different approach to my personal statement, and I received a pretty big Department of the Air Force level award last year. So it's a big swing this year emoji1696.png and yes, I applied last year as well. I also applied when I applied to OTS in 2019, but they wanted me for something else instead. 3rd times a charm!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I'm in the same boat. Applied in 2016 when I went to OTS but got my second choice. Applied last year but was an alternate. Also took a different approach with my personal letter, got a couple awards under my belt and a much better letter of rec, but definitely not at the levels you got! I would imagine you're in a great spot this time around. 

On 8/6/2023 at 5:18 AM, Dusty318 said:

Another dumb question for the group: where can I find PSDM 23-54? I don't have access to MyFSS and haven't turned up the PSDM through searched. The recruiters I've worked with are less than helpful; both the AD recruiters and interservice transfer office keep referring me to one-other saying they can't process a former O from another branch (now civilian). 

I know I'm behind the curve here - like I said in a previous post, I've been on the Guard/Reserves "circuit" of interviews for a while but new to the AD process. I think I have just about everything I need to submit to the AD board other than the FC1, and I don't even know where to begin with that. I think getting my hands on PSDM 23-54 is a good place to start. Any other tips for someone just starting this process, who knows next to nothing about it?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but just to properly set your expectations. Getting your FC1 can/probably will take a while. If I had to guess a range, it will take 2-6 months. If you haven't started it, you are unlikely to submit your application on time. The good news is once you get it, it's valid for 4 years so you don't need to worry about for next years application.

You can always reach out to the AFPC selection board with questions, I have found them to be very responsive and helpful. Their email is AFPC.DPMO.UFTBOARD@us.af.mil

On 8/8/2023 at 12:20 PM, Dusty318 said:

I read "Active Duty Officer Board" to mean a board for people wishing to become active duty AF officers, not a board for people who were already active duty AF officers. I'll see myself out...

I'm a prior service O from another branch. Like you mentioned, IST is suspended; the AD Flying board is for current AF officers, and the Line Officers board is for civilians or enlisted personnel seeking to become AF officers. As far as I can tell there is no path for prior service officers from other branches to enter the Air Force. Unless I'm missing something (please tell me if I am!) it looks like my only option is to continue pursuing a slot in the guard. 

Only guessing here, but I think you have to contact an OTS recruiter and apply as a civilian for your AF commission. That's what I did, but I wasn't prior service. Either way, they should be able to point you in the right direction. *Make sure you contact an officer recruiter not an enlisted recruiter.

Edit: being a prior service officer will greatly help your application for obvious reasons as long as you separated for good reasons. I'm 90% certain this is the way.

Edited by goboldtigers

I'm in the same boat. Applied in 2016 when I went to OTS but got my second choice. Applied last year but was an alternate. Also took a different approach with my personal letter, got a couple awards under my belt and a much better letter of rec, but definitely not at the levels you got! I would imagine you're in a great spot this time around. 
Yeah I appreciate that. But anything can happen, and we're all just putting our best foot forward. Alternate is closer than I've ever gotten, so I have a good feeling about you! Best of luck!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, goboldtigers said:

Only guessing here, but I think you have to contact an OTS recruiter and apply as a civilian for your AF commission. That's what I did, but I wasn't prior service. Either way, they should be able to point you in the right direction. *Make sure you contact an officer recruiter not an enlisted recruiter.

Edit: being a prior service officer will greatly help your application for obvious reasons as long as you separated for good reasons. I'm 90% certain this is the way.

I have since found out that I am ineligible to go AD Air Force. Having "previously received a commission in any of the uniform services" is disqualifying and unwaiverable (AFMAN 36-2032).

That, combined with the IST program being shut down indefinitely, means that prior service O's from other branches can't come over to AD Air Force. Looks like I'll keep going down the NG route for a UPT slot.

Good luck everyone. 

Just now, Dusty318 said:

I have since found out that I am ineligible to go AD Air Force. Having "previously received a commission in any of the uniform services" is disqualifying and unwaiverable (AFMAN 36-2032).

That, combined with the IST program being shut down indefinitely, means that prior service O's from other branches can't come over to AD Air Force. Looks like I'll keep going down the NG route for a UPT slot.

Good luck everyone. 

That doesn't make any sense at all! Sorry to hear that. I would think they would appreciate having an officer bringing knowledge of how sister services operate.

1 hour ago, Dusty318 said:

Good luck everyone. 

Only because I'm stuck at a computer at work with nothing to do and curious, I tried looking it up and couldn't find the disqualifying statement you referenced. Where does it say it?

Edit: nevermind, I found it. AFMAN 36-2023, Table 10.6, Rule 8 references Attachment 24.

Edited by goboldtigers

On 8/25/2023 at 2:47 PM, goboldtigers said:

Only because I'm stuck at a computer at work with nothing to do and curious, I tried looking it up and couldn't find the disqualifying statement you referenced. Where does it say it?

Edit: nevermind, I found it. AFMAN 36-2023, Table 10.6, Rule 8 references Attachment 24.

Yeah, I pulled that language from the table. Good on you for digging into the AFMAN though. It's hardly "light reading"...

Morning all! Thankful for this resource. Looking for some perspective: does a high PCSM with no PPL have a shot of getting picked up by the board? Thanks in advance. 
Obviously haven't made it yet myself, but last year like 36 out of the 70 people who got picked up did not have PPLS. I also don't have mine and have a PCSM of 95, and didn't get picked up last year. So other things go into play

3 hours ago, dillonberg92 said:

Obviously haven't made it yet myself, but last year like 36 out of the 70 people who got picked up did not have PPLS. I also don't have mine and have a PCSM of 95, and didn't get picked up last year. So other things go into play emoji106.png

Thanks for the reply! Just want to cage my expectations. Did you get your PPL for this years board? Best of luck!

Speaking of PPL's, does anyone know the last day that you can submit changes to your application, such as obtaining a PPL? I don't have access to a CAC reader (refreshing, but work-related issues still haunt me).

I had a 99 PCSM for last year's board with no PPL, and did not get picked up. One of the dudes I know who got picked up who did not have one had a discussion with me and we determined that the philosophy of the board might be that anyone can be good at the stick and rudder skills, but the AF is looking for people who can do that AND have good leadership/potential leadership skills.

All speculation at this point, but I don't find that idea unreasonable.

Thanks for the reply! Just want to cage my expectations. Did you get your PPL for this years board? Best of luck!
I did not get my ppl. That'll unfortunately cost me another $6k, which isn't a small chunk of change lol. But I worked really hard in areas I felt I needed to grow and develop in as an officer as a whole. I'm just hoping I was able to capture that in my package

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just submitted mine. Here's my stats:

- 88 PCSM 

- 99 AFOQT

- 25 Flight hours (No PPL)

- Gp/CC (O-6) signed my letter of rec

- 1 out of 5 Wing ranking on AF215

For perspective, I applied last year, was selected as an alternate but ultimately not picked up. I was given feedback by the AFPC board that 40% of what they look at is leadership qualities and 30% is potential. So this last year I focused on improving in those areas and made sure I included them in my letter of rec, personal letter, and bullets in the AF215. I believe it helped me earn the top Wing ranking.

The main thing I did not do is get more civilian flying hours/get a PPL. I don't want to spend thousands of dollars if I don't need to. 

Fingers crossed I make it this time, and good luck to everybody else.

Edit: for the curious, AFPC said the remaining 30% of what they look at is the quantifiable numbers (gpa, fitness test, test scores, etc)

Edited by goboldtigers

New to the forum, good luck to all you dudes and dudettes!

my stats: 

current RPA IP

869 combat MQ9 hours, 400 other hours 

90 civ hours (no ppl) lots of ultralight 

78 PCSM 

88 Pilot AFOQT 

O6 chief of safety at Randolph gave letter of Rec

Personal letter focused on being selected to plan sorties for our RPA wing in the ECS to combat near peer adversary.

strat: 3 at the wing. 

how the data trends, looks like they alternate high and mid level pickup numbers. Last year they selected 69. Fingers crossed this year they take close to 100 this year.

Good luck everyone. We’ve got this! 

Nervously, 

QUAG

• Like 2

Hey future Aviators. Good luck to everybody. Submitted my package yesterday. Here are my stats….

• 96 PCSM / 98 Pilot / 25 Civilian Flight Hours
  • x2 CGO of the Qtr at Group Level / x1 MAJCOM Level Award / x2 #1 Strats (from previous Wing)
  • #11/15 Wing UFT Selectees (with current Wing - heard from AFPC these rankings are pretty political/subjective. Was only with my new wing for a few months then got deployed… so kinda checks out.)
  • O-6 Wing/CC Letter of Recommendation

and now we wait….

• Like 1

On 10/3/2023 at 9:18 AM, QUAG said:

my stats: 

current RPA IP

78 PCSM 

88 Pilot AFOQT 

Personal letter focused on being selected to plan sorties for our RPA wing in the ECS to combat near peer adversary.

how the data trends, looks like they alternate high and mid level pickup numbers. Last year they selected 69. Fingers crossed this year they take close to 100 this year.

Nervously, 

QUAG

I remember seeing 69 selected and couldn't help but wonder if that number was intentional... Lol

I hope you're right about alternating!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2023 at 12:36 PM, LeeLue said:

Hey future Aviators. Good luck to everybody. Submitted my package yesterday. Here are my stats….

• 96 PCSM / 98 Pilot / 25 Civilian Flight Hours
  • x2 CGO of the Qtr at Group Level / x1 MAJCOM Level Award / x2 #1 Strats (from previous Wing)
  • #11/15 Wing UFT Selectees (with current Wing - heard from AFPC these rankings are pretty political/subjective. Was only with my new wing for a few months then got deployed… so kinda checks out.)
  • O-6 Wing/CC Letter of Recommendation

and now we wait….

What wing are you at with 15 applicants? Your stats look fantastic too, your wing must have had to really stretch to place you #11.

On 8/25/2023 at 12:38 PM, Dusty318 said:

Good luck everyone. 

We've got a former army officer in my class who's now in the AF Guard so it definitely is a possible route! It seems like such an odd and arbitrary restriction to have.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, nolifepilot said:

What wing are you at with 15 applicants? Your stats look fantastic too, your wing must have had to really stretch to place you #11.

We've got a former army officer in my class who's now in the AF Guard so it definitely is a possible route! It seems like such an odd and arbitrary restriction to have.

I’d rather not say lol. Just know it’s a flying wing, and i’m a non-rated applicant. Pretty positive 90% of my competition are flyers whose scores aren’t as high as mine, but WingKing is a flyer so he’s looking out for his peeps. 

PSDM mentioned that the UFT office would reach out within 1-2 weeks after submission to confirm receipt - anyone gotten an email yet?
I reached out to the AFPC member I was working closely with to make sure that they have received it and they said they did, but I received no email like previous years

On 10/24/2023 at 4:32 PM, Hope2Fly said:

PSDM mentioned that the UFT office would reach out within 1-2 weeks after submission to confirm receipt - anyone gotten an email yet?

Same as @dillonberg92 I emailed the board confirming they received it. They replied they did but I did not receive an automatic email

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2023 at 9:18 AM, QUAG said:

my stats: 

current RPA IP

78 PCSM 

88 Pilot AFOQT 

Nervously, 

QUAG

Love your optimism QUAG. Personally I have a feast rather than famine mindset & it seems like you do as well! There’s enough room for all of us to get picked up

New to the forum and damn y’all are making me nervous about not getting picked up hahah. First year applying and probably the only time for me. Y’alls scores are looking extremely competitive!

Package has been submitted:

2.8 GPA

94 PFA (first time not getting a 100… I’m still pissed about this lol)
98 AFOQT 

97 PCSM

69.4 flight hours (PPL)

GP/CC Letter of rec

Butter bar but will be a 1lt when the board results drop. No awards personally but I’ve been a Flt CC for 70 person flight so have a good bit of leadership experience and my team has won a significant amount of awards. I figure I probably have a 50/50 shot at getting picked up since the board seems to favor Captains(85% of selects last year) and every seems extremely competitive at the board already 

good luck everyone! Attached some slides from this previous “Rated Prep Program” as well to help everyone out

8C5FA4DB-3A02-44FC-84E8-A84D309558AC.png

33FC03BD-4BCE-4C00-9831-0A52CA7B8A8B.png

Edited by FloridaMan26