AFSOC questions

Guest WSteig

Reading these posts is giving me a sharper appreciation for the job I have ahead of me. It sounds like after I get to the 9th, my next hurdle is AC upgrade. What is my CC going to look for when he decides to send me back to The Rock?

[ 24. June 2005, 12:12: Message edited by: SUMA ]

Originally posted by Mike Murph:

Who knows, hopefully that will turn around as regular slicks approach the same manning percentage but for now, no luck.

Restricted tails, Grounded tails, No permanent replacements even on the drawing board, and a cut in flight hours by AMC. I wouldn't expect the slick manning to increase for awhile.

HD

Gabe2surf - well put. I had some of the best times and WORST times of my life.

As far as drinking. I "heard" it was a certain sq that flies...what mistakutz Dad flew...rumors only. But the Wing CC came down with the edict.

Mistahkurtz (damn that is hard to spell when drinking)...you are very wise for your years. AFSOC is doing it and doing it more dangerously than others. Let me give yall an idea of what I have experienced. Since Feb 2001....MC130P crashed RIGHT next to me in formation..they lived....2 Paves crashed and got bent up and I or my form members refuled them....Marine C130 that we worked in the same hangar with crashed. 3 Talon IIs crashed...2 of those guys were former Sq members...6 SOS plane crashes. Used to work with Brian..he left the AF for US AIr, got furloughed and came back...then the U2 the other day. Former 16 SOS pilot and buddy.

Realize..it's a war. AFSOC, particularly Hurlburt is fighting it! This was never as clear as it was today when I was going to work (I am an AMC guy now but work man days at HRT in Current Ops and SOF) and a cute blonde 1Lt in MX said that HRT was - and I am paraphrasing - fighting the whole war for AFSOC. Almost 100% true. It's CENTCOM. Its HRT.

OK I'll shut up. Yall will be busy. It will be the best of times and the worst of time. You will be able to sit your grandkids on your lap one day and tell them what you did.

LJFlyer....well..I have heard 2 things..that 1) the SOW is dry for TDYs and 2) only CERTAIN TDYs are dry. You are about to be TDY to AETC. If I were you...and I bet everyone here would agree....Id do what I did at ABQ. Drink heavily. It is a 2 month program crammed into 4-5 months!!!! Enjoy!!!

Dude, one thing I wanted to do but didnt was jus drive route 66 in my Mustang. Oh well. Central Ave downtown. Just go!

[ 25. June 2005, 04:51: Message edited by: dtfl ]

Suma...simple.

920 total hours. That is with the 10% waiver of the 800 hours airframe time.

Not to be a penis but that is it.

SO do well and get 920 hours.

AC school was a total joke. Serious. I didnt learn crap.

IP school? Different story. I personally did not learn how to INSTRUCT for shit...but learned the plane like no tomorrow

• 6 months later...

So I've heard the discussion about going from slick 130s to AFSOC, but what about after that? Do guys ever do slicks then AFSOC then a white jet/instructor tour as a third tour like you might do if you stayed slicks, or do they want you to do 2 tours as an AC in AFSOC (or 1.5, or whatever the case may be) if you come from slicks?

Just curious about the typical career progression for guys that go AFSOC after slicks, so any info would be appreciated.

[ 14. January 2006, 11:52: Message edited by: herk28 ]

Most slick-to-AFSOC guys/gals I've known go from an operational AFSOC squadron to a Group/Wing job. After that, they either punch out or stay in. If they stay in, they go fly at the schoolhouse or get into "other" AFSOC opportunities. After that, career options vary based on rank, career blocks filled, job openings available, etc... A lot of people end up doing the old PCS-around-the-world tour too. This is when you get stationed at all the AFSOC locales (Hurlburt, Kadena, Mildenhall and Kirtland). Just as an added note, guys that go straight into AFSOC can normally expect two operational tours before being tagged for the schoohouse, never after only just one tour. This is all for the MC-130 world. I can't speak for the AC-130 or helo world.

[ 15. January 2006, 07:41: Message edited by: gabe2surf ]

Originally posted by herk28:

Is an AFSOC Group/Wing job like pretty much anywhere else (i.e. flying 3-4 times a month, not deploying with a crew, etc.)?

On average, they flew 4-5 times a month and deployed once a year. AFSOC is so small (though rapidly growing), you'll end up at one of the operational squadrons again soon enough. If you don't help out, people remember.

[ 15. January 2006, 23:09: Message edited by: gabe2surf ]