What are the odds?

jspace17

Hey everyone, new here but I've been lurking for a little bit. Just wanted to get some opinions on my application that I just submitted and what I could work on if I'm not selected.

Some details about me... I graduated with a 3.36 GPA in mechanical engineering, but my engineering GPA is 3.81. I have a lot of flight hours, 87 or so, and will have my PPL in the next two weeks (my club makes me take a mock checkride before the real deal and the mock one is this Monday.) My AFOQT scores are 95/92/87/65/99 which puts my PCSM at 86. I have a lot of leadership experience from internships, class projects, and even management and team leader positions in the work force. I did really well in my interview and although it was short, I saw the notes were all positive and "select now" was listed several times.

Although I feel pretty good about all of this, there is a catch. When I was young, (17-19) I made some stupid mistakes and got in trouble with the law on more than one occasion. After 3 different instances of being stupid (1 underage drinking, 1 noise complaint from a party, and 1 false I.D.), I wised up and got my act together. My GPA went from a 2.00 average to almost a 4.00 which is why my GPA is much lower than my engineering GPA. I had to get a waiver for my application, and it was approved, but I'm afraid that it will still severely affect my application. I feel horrible about my mistakes and I take full responsibility for them but there's nothing I can do about them now that I have them. I'm afraid that my stupid young mistakes will haunt me the rest of my life and I won't be able to fulfill my dreams of being an Officer. I was hoping I could get some feedback on how bad this waiver will affect my application. Is the board likely to see that I've turned around and cleaned up? Or do they follow a strict "no tolerance" policy on this kind of thing? Does anyone know anybody that had a similar experience in trying to commission? I'm afraid they're going to look at my application, see the waiver, and just reject it. What do you think?

The "rule of thumb" according to my recruiter was that as long as you have no more than one waiver for something usually you'll be okay. Most of us were young and dumb at some point in time. Your GPA, scores, and flight time (get that PPL) are pretty solid and show that you've probably matured. Based on what you wrote it sounds like you're probably okay.