Sonic Booms are a Violation of Human Rights!

bucky60k

The most ridiculous item of the day:

BBC: Medics condemn Gaza sonic booms

Doctors' groups have filed a petition at the Israeli Supreme Court seeking to halt air force jets from breaking the sound barrier over the Gaza Strip.

The UN says the tactic is an abuse of human rights, causing widespread fear especially among children, and medics say it induces miscarriages.

The sonic booms from Israeli jets are designed to be a show of force to militant groups, correspondents say.

Israel evacuated its settlers and troops from Gaza earlier this year.

However, the Jewish state continues to control the territory's airspace, coastline and borders.

It has also continued to carry out air raids against what it says are militant targets.

'Miscarriages'

The joint Israeli-Palestinian petition filed in the Supreme Court by the Gaza Community Mental Health Programme and Physicians for Human Rights-Israel says that according to international law, "the booms are collective punishment against the civilian population and thus illegal".

The head of the Gaza group, Dr Eyad Sarraj, a psychiatrist, has said that the sonic booms are having serious effects on children in Gaza, including anxiety, panic, fear, poor concentration and low academic success.

He also reports that the number of miscarriages among pregnant women increase during periods of frequent sonic booms.

The head of the UN Development Programme in the Gaza Strip, Khaled Abdul Shafi, said: "We at the United Nations have already submitted a letter of protest to the Israeli government urging them to stop... the sonic booming and the air raids immediately, because we simply think that this is a violation of basic human rights, especially rights of children to live in peace and to be educated in peace."

The Israeli military declined to comment.

"Because the subject is before the Supreme Court, the response will be given in that framework," the army spokesman's office said.

Guest KoolKat
Originally posted by ucf_motorcycle:

How would you like an extremely loud explosive sound to occur at random times during your day without warning?

Quit making extremely loud explosive sounds from sonic booms, or from making extremely loud explosive sounds via air strikes...priorties people!

According to international law, "the booms are collective punishment against the civilian population and thus illegal".
International law says that? I must have skipped that chapter. :rolleyes:

I read somewhere that international law states that Uncle Sam should be providing Bender with one free six pack every day, but you don't see me filing petitions.

Anyhoo...If f'in' hasbla or whatever would chill out, they could probably cut down on the noise pollution a little bit. Just a thought.

BENDY

Is a sonic boom on the same level as suicide bombings and indiscriminate Katusha rocket fire against civilians? No. Do the very loud noises bother people? Sure. We get calls every time a jet booms the town of Goldsboro from the Echo MOA, or fly over their farm while doing VR-83.

Noise happens. It surrounds us. I don't think extra noise constitutes a violation of Human Rights.

Hoser

[ 06. November 2005, 19:11: Message edited by: Hoser ]

Originally posted by Hoser:

Is a sonic boom on the same level as suicide bombings and indiscriminate Katusha rocket fire against civilians? No. Do the very loud noises bother people? Sure. We get calls every time a jet booms the town of Goldsboro from the Echo MOA, or fly over their farm while doing VR-83.

Noise happens. It surrounds us. I don't think extra noise constitutes a violation of Human Rights.

Hoser

Really? So I guess you wouldn't mind if our jets broke the sound barrier over and near your house throughout the day and night. Get real guys, this is a real gripe. I wouldn't want this happening in my neighborhood al the time either.

Originally posted by LJ Driver:

Really? So I guess you wouldn't mind if our jets broke the sound barrier over and near your house throughout the day and night. Get real guys, this is a real gripe. I wouldn't want this happening in my neighborhood al the time either.

Originally posted by ENJJPT IP:

Only the cool people get to tear it up in the Echo MOA!

ENJJPT knows this because he actually boomed the ECHO MOA just the other day during a Mud Hen Incentive Ride while gunning the snot out of another F-15E IP. Come (STS) back any time. I still have some cigars left.

Hoser

Originally posted by Hoser:

ENJJPT knows this because he actually boomed the ECHO MOA just the other day during a Mud Hen Incentive Ride while gunning the snot out of another F-15E IP.

He was in my pit - I thought he was the one getting gunned?

Well, technically.........but only because I was taking it easy on him! Had I used all my skills that I finely tuned while flying extended trail in the Tweet........well, the results would have been the same. Except we would have been killed ALOT sooner! Either way, it was a hell of a ride!