SECDEF Ashton Carter

I believe it's time for a new thread now that he's sworn in.

http://www.defense.gov/transcripts/transcript.aspx?transcriptid=5592

February 21, 2015

SECDEF CARTER: [...] President Obama is considering a number of options to re-enforce our support for President Ghani's security strategy, including possible changes to the timeline for our drawdown of U.S. troops. That could mean taking another look at the timing and sequencing of base closures, to ensure we have the right array of coalition capabilities to support our Afghan partners, the right array to ensure that hard-won progress lasts, and of course the right force protection footprint for our remaining personnel.

But we also have to look beyond troop numbers, because the United States and our coalition partners' long-term commitments in resources, equipment and other support will be just as critical for Afghan security over the long haul. And an enduring partnership means expanding our partnership beyond the security space to include deeper political, economic and cultural ties as well. And the president and I had an opportunity to discuss those dimensions also, including the economic dimension, in which he has such enormous expertise and experience.

http://www.defense.gov/transcripts/transcript.aspx?transcriptid=5594

February 22, 2015

Q: [...] recently a congressional commission has suggested changing military retirement. What is your opinion of the current 20-year military retirement plan? And what do you suggest we do in the future with military retirement?

SECDEF CARTER: [...] I'm, of course, open to reconsidering the military retirement system. [...] Ultimately under the law I'm required to then tell President Obama what I think about it. And I haven't had a chance to do all that yet, and absorb it. [...] there's one other thing I should say, which is -- and this is in-line in what the commission said, is that any change we make be one that those who are already in service don't have to make if they don't want to. Because I don't want to breach our understanding with you at the time you joined, that's not fair. But we can make other alternatives available to those who may join in the future, and also available to those who are in now. But if we made a deal with you when you first got in, I think we ought to keep that deal.

Q: [...] What are your thoughts on transgender service members serving in an austere environment like this here in Kandahar?

SECDEF CARTER: [...] I'm very open-minded about -- otherwise about what their personal lives and proclivities are, provided they can do what we need them to do for us. That's the important criteria. Are they going to be excellent service members? And I don't think anything but their suitability for service should preclude them.