Apache takes out terrorists

trailmix

Heres a link to a pretty good video... unfortunately its on a liberal indy-media site that calls the attack "murder." What is funny though, is that the longer version is very incriminating but the short version (made by the host) actually looks like the attack is unwarranted. Read the comments below, its good for killing some time (no pun intended).

http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2004/01/284086.html

[ 12. April 2006, 09:18: Message edited by: trailmix ]

Guest msmith16

I had a hard time getting the long version to play. The site even says that it wont play on some computers. Accident? Probably not, just another attempt to paint the US military in a bad light.

-Striker

Yeah you need the divx plug in. Google "divx" and dowload it for free if youre interested, then DL the whole video to your computer. You can so easily see these guys offloading weapons into the desert, its funny to hear ppl talk about them being farming equipment. After the first dude gets shot, the 2nd dude is desparately trying to unwrap the "farming equipment"... thats what I would do too, open up that SA-7, err, i mean, garden hoe, to get some last minute work done!

[ 12. April 2006, 10:16: Message edited by: trailmix ]

Guest Hydro130

This vid has been floating around for a quite a while. I'm sure it's still out there if you look hard enough...

Footage like that or the other internet-hit, the AC-130 video, were better off never having been made leaked.

I'm certain, that in both circumstances, the leak was innocently intended to stay among friends (military community morale booster), but made it out to the public masses.

My point being, no one who wasn't right 'there' should be Monday quarterbacking the situation based on a 30"+ clip of video.

But, this is the world we live in!

Cheers, Hydro

I don't want to Monday morning quarterback and by no means do I have ANY sympathy for the terrorists killed in this video, but I do wonder about the legality of the very last shot. From my understanding of the Geneva Conventions, wounded enemies are no longer considered combatants unless they again engage in warfare. Obviously I am no expert on the GC's, this is just from ROTC and those stupid computer training we have to do all the time and I'm sure most the guys here are more knowledgeable. However, if you watch the video, at about 3:05, they see the guy crawling out from under the truck, say "He's wounded, hit him." That seems fairly black and white to me. I am sure the world is a better place today without those bastards that got shot, but we should all be careful about situations like this. We should not lower ourselves to their level of warfare. Again, please correct me if I have misunderstood how the GC's apply here.

Guest PilotKD
Originally posted by Grad@ENJJPT:

I don't want to Monday morning quarterback and by no means do I have ANY sympathy for the terrorists killed in this video, but I do wonder about the legality of the very last shot. From my understanding of the Geneva Conventions, wounded enemies are no longer considered combatants unless they again engage in warfare. Obviously I am no expert on the GC's, this is just from ROTC and those stupid computer training we have to do all the time and I'm sure most the guys here are more knowledgeable. However, if you watch the video, at about 3:05, they see the guy crawling out from under the truck, say "He's wounded, hit him." That seems fairly black and white to me. I am sure the world is a better place today without those bastards that got shot, but we should all be careful about situations like this. We should not lower ourselves to their level of warfare. Again, please correct me if I have misunderstood how the GC's apply here.

No, because the US does not recognize members of Al Qaeda or the Taliban as lawful combatants.

Also, at the time of this clip (it is VERY OLD) the JAGs added that there was no way the pilots could know whether or not there were any other weapons in / around the vehicle (such as a MANPAD) that the "wounded" terrorist could grab and use.

Personally, I remember when that clip was first released on the internet, I found it incredibly amusing and inspiring -- I would watch the clip 3-5 times whenever I was having a bad day! (with the sound turned WAY UP)

Guest KoolKat

My dad (a Nam Huey guy) about creamed his pants watching the long clip...

He asked me to tell you thanks for posting that.

BENDY

Originally posted by Baseops.Net:

Also, at the time of this clip (it is VERY OLD) the JAGs added that there was no way the pilots could know whether or not there were any other weapons in / around the vehicle (such as a MANPAD) that the "wounded" terrorist could grab and use.

Sounds like a good enough reason to me. I stand corrected.