Cleared for FCII but need FCI

jacob.p

Hello,

My current flight physical is only cleared for FCII. I was DQ'd for FCI due to refractive error. When Flight Med submited my stuff for a waiver, they said everything looked good and shouldn't be a problem getting a waiver.

After it came back I only got a FCII and no waiver. Is there any way to get a waiver after a physical has been put in the "system"?

Thanks.

I think you're a bit confused. FCI is only for Initial Pilot Applicants. Once approved, you'll only need an FCII.

AFI 48-123

6.1.1.1. Flying Class I qualifies for selection into MFS, and once MFS is passed, commencement of UPT.

6.1.1.2. Flying Class IA qualifies for selection and commencement of Undergraduate Navigator Training (UNT) and initial medical qualification for 12SX Special Operations Combat Systems Officer.

6.1.1.3. Flying Class II qualifies:

6.1.1.3.1. For selection into URT and flight surgeon training.

6.1.1.3.2. Rated officers for continued flying duty (pilots, RPA pilots, navigators/electronic warfare officers, 12SX Special Operations Combat Systems Officer and flight surgeons).

Are you currently an Officer in the Air Force? Have you previously been a Pilot or Nav/WSO? What is your current AFSC? Do you have a prospective AFSC?

Doc,

Thanks for the reply, I'll take any help with the medical stuff (especially if I'm mixing things up).

Currently an officer in the comm (17D) career field. Not rated but been trying to get picked up for UPT with the AD boards. The part that has been my road block is the medical and my eyes. My current physical says medically acceptable for FCII, disqualified for FCI, FCIA.

Do I need an initial FCI for the AD board?

Thanks

If you want to be a pilot, you must meet FCI waiver standards. If you had your physical at your local base, you must still go to Wright Patterson for the MFS part of the physical. They can review the physical and make a recommendation for a waiver, if you meet the requirements. The initial FCII you were approved for is most likely for RPA pilot.

Depending on your time line, you may also consider refractive surgery to get under the refractive error limits for pilot.