Herniated disc before OTS

Please help, I am really stuck.

In March I lifted something wrong and hurt my back. Since then, I have had sciatica down my right leg. I have been taking it easy and been doing physical therapy for 1.5 months, but I'm not seeing much improvement.

I am able to walk, run, etc. with no issues. I feel my pain when I bend my lower back with my right leg straight (touch toes, etc), or when standing up after sitting. It is pretty intense pain.

I was really hoping it would resolve on its own before OTS, but I'm losing faith and I'm not sure if I could endure all of OTS with this. I'm a Civ RPA select from 12OT03 and am supposed to leave for OTS in November. I already have an approved FCIIU.

My ortho is convinced it's a herniation, but we have not taken an MRI yet. I'm considering getting the MRI and then pursuing the epidural injection and/or microdiscectomy surgery. The other part of me wants to stick it out and see if I'm better before OTS, but then I may be in more trouble for waiting so late if it does not heal.

My fear is that the herniation, and the surgery to fix it, are disqualifying for flight physicals, although waiverable. How likely am I to get a waiver on my FCIIU if I'm asymptomatic after surgery? I'm really depressed that I could possibly lose the career I have worked so long and hard for because of a small injury that is correctable.

Any help is greatly appreciated

FWIW I had a microdiscectomy for a large L5S1 herniation in the middle of pilot training. 6 months later I was waivered on a FC1 and have had no issues with Gz/etc (FC2U should be pretty easily waived)

I believe my initial herniation happened in SERE, prior to IFS. Stuck it out for 6 months, but in the end the pain was too much and I got an MRI. I was in surgery 2 days later.

OTS is going to suck with an injury like that.

• Upvote 1

I would normally tell someone with a simple musculoskeletal complain to wait it out and have the Air Force take care of it for you once you arrive at training, however your case seems fairly severe. Continue to be seen by your Ortho, and ask him whether he thinks you could/should delay any procedures for another 6 months, and possibly request to seen a Chiro. My guess from your story though, is you ought to notify your recruiter ASAP, and undergo the surgery/treatment, and delay your OTS for another 12-18 mo.s.

Do whatever your ortho tells you. This really sucks, but my prediction is that if you delay care, you'll be in a worse position in 9 months, and be forced out of service, rather than ideally recovering and being in the best physical condition to succeed later.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

For IFC (untrained) personnel, microdiscectomy treatment is not waiverable, however you really need to know what your actual diagnosis is. If Herniated Nucleus Pulposus or spinal fusion (probably unlikely to be this second one from your description), you might be screwed right out of the gate. If you can, try to have your ortho dx you with simple lumbago/low back pain (probably with radiculopathy in your case), then get it resolved so you meet this criteria:

AFI 48-123

6.44.23.1.16. Verified history of neuritis, neuralgia, neuropathy, or radiculopathy, whatever the etiology, unless:

6.44.23.1.16.1. The condition has completely subsided, and the cause is determined to be of no future concern.

6.44.23.1.16.2. There is no residual which could be deemed detrimental to normal function in any practical manner.

If your treatment goes well, have him write a memo that he feels it has completely resolved and unlikely to recur.
  • Upvote 1

Thank you very much for the reply.

Definitely not the best news, but good to know where I stand. Unfortunately, my pain and range of motion have deteriorated, so things are looking worse. Will be getting the MRI soon and will know more.

Thanks again

I had a "herniated" disc while I was still in ROTC and missed FT that year. Was bed ridden for almost a month, shitty ROM and couldn't stand or sit. Got an MRI and did PT for a while, acupuncture and eventually it healed up fine.

When I went to IFC a few years later, I found out that what I had could be disqualifying, until they still passed me. They DQ'd another guy I knew with the same problem. I found out later that my official diagnosis in my initial plethora of paperwork that was submitted was this "radiculopathy" that deaddebate mentioned. Guess the doc at the time didn't want to bother defining it to me so just called it a herniated disc.

Try to do less invasive solutions first, and get it healed up. You're going keep your back beyond your years in the mil. Good luck.

I had a "herniated" disc while I was still in ROTC and missed FT that year. Was bed ridden for almost a month, shitty ROM and couldn't stand or sit. Got an MRI and did PT for a while, acupuncture and eventually it healed up fine. When I went to IFC a few years later, I found out that what I had could be disqualifying, until they still passed me. They DQ'd another guy I knew with the same problem. I found out later that my official diagnosis in my initial plethora of paperwork that was submitted was this "radiculopathy" that deaddebate mentioned. Guess the doc at the time didn't want to bother defining it to me so just called it a herniated disc. Try to do less invasive solutions first, and get it healed up. You're going keep your back beyond your years in the mil. Good luck.
You were waived because you met the normal criteria in 48-123 and a waiver wasn't even considered as there was no need.

You are right that non-surgical options are best to maintain flight eligibility, but unfortunately it probably isn't the case for the OP.

• Upvote 1