When to apply for federal job while on AD?

LoadClear

Hey all, hopefully someone has a clue regarding my question...

Currently, I'm a guardsman on AD for nav school. I was a guardbum loadmaster before leaving for training, but am unsure of how good bumming will be when I get done with training. I've started to look at my options in the federal civilian sector on USAJobs. My question is, am I even eligible to apply for a civilian fed job while on AD? If I am, will they even look at my application if I'm putting my first available date isnt for a year (UNT/follow on 130 school)? Or is it possible to apply and if I'm the most qualified applicant, to get a job and just not start until I'm off AD?

Anyone have any experience in this sort of thing? Should I wait or start putting in apps? If the right job comes out, I'd like to apply. I've applied for some in the past and the time between application and interview was super long, and I don't want to start looking for a job a month before I'm done with training and I'm unemployed/begging for days after I'm off AD.

As always, thanks!

Similar situation I went through 9 years ago when I initially separated from AD. Was working a deal to basically do my military job as a GS slug & of course, it took awhile.

If you see something you like, apply. As you mentioned, it always takes a long while for the government to get off its collective ass, so you have nothing to lose. If you get the job, you can always work something out so the two don't conflict.