Lab results

Login Name

Doc,

I just got some lab results for an upcoming deployment...I'm a civilian now and don't have a PCP so I went to a clinic my company set me up with. Apparently I have abnormal blood work b/c of high Creatinine Serum (1.28H mg/dL) and LDL Cholesterol (121 H mg/dL). I know about the cholesterol, it's high, and it's the bad cholesterol. I'm more concerned about the Creatinine b/c I know nothing about it other than what I read online. The limits the lab set for me are between 0.76 - 1.27...so I'm just above the "normal" range. Is it something I should worry about and go talk to a doc over? They said I'm still deployable so I imagine it's really not that big of a concern.

LDL Cholesterol (121 H mg/dL). I know about the cholesterol, it's high, and it's the bad cholesterol.

If you think 121 is high, then you don't know a much about cholesterol as you think. 130-159 is considered by most to be borderline high, 160-189 is high and greater than 190 is very high. Depending upon your total cholesterol and any other risk factors, this LDL is anything but high. I know you were asking about the other number, but your assumption on your LDL's is not accurate.

If you think 121 is high, then you don't know a much about cholesterol as you think. 130-159 is considered by most to be borderline high, 160-189 is high and greater than 190 is very high. Depending upon your total cholesterol and any other risk factors, this LDL is anything but high. I know you were asking about the other number, but your assumption on your LDL's is not accurate.

I think he was saying his LDL was 121, not the total, which would be LDL + HDL + Triglycerides/5 = total cholesterol. 121 of LDL would be "above optimal" or just a little high. Less than 100 on the LDL is optimal. Your previous flight doc was correct. On the plus side, it is easier to lower LDL (bad stuff) than raise the HDL (good stuff). Your ratio of HDL to LDL is more important overall than the total number. Here is some good stuff on Cholesterol from the AHA.

Edited by Carpetbagger

I think he was saying his LDL was 121, not the total, which would be LDL + HDL + Triglycerides/5 = total cholesterol. 121 of LDL would be "above optimal" or just a little high. Less than 100 on the LDL is optimal. Your previous flight doc was correct. On the plus side, it is easier to lower LDL (bad stuff) than raise the HDL (good stuff). Your ratio of HDL to LDL is more important overall than the total number. Here is some good stuff on Cholesterol from the AHA.

I know exactly what he was saying. As I said 121 is not high. I think you said pretty much the same thing, as does the link that you put here. Most docs will not prescribe meds until LDL is above 160 unless there are many other risk factors and the overall profile is taken into account as well.