Cycloplegic vs Normal Refraction

Extra300Driver

What if you are correctable to 20/20 (within refraction limits), pass MEPS..

But then you goto your FC1 Physical, and under Cycloplegic tests, they see your refraction is more than +2. like +2.5, which is beyond limits. Is there some sort of discretion there?

Reason is that my eye muscles are juiced up beyond belief, so good, that they make up for one of my eyes being an actual +2.5 in cycloplegic tests.

Guest goducks

What if you are correctable to 20/20 (within refraction limits), pass MEPS..

But then you goto your FC1 Physical, and under Cycloplegic tests, they see your refraction is more than +2. like +2.5, which is beyond limits. Is there some sort of discretion there?

Reason is that my eye muscles are juiced up beyond belief, so good, that they make up for one of my eyes being an actual +2.5 in cycloplegic tests.

There is no discretion- there are rules and policies that address this. Your eye muscles aren't "juiced up beyond belief." Any 20+ year old with +2.5 Diopters on a cycloplegic exam will likely exhibit normal visual function. It's called accommodation.

If you have normal depth perception (technically normal stereopsis) refractive errors up to +4.00 are waiverable.

Aren't you the same fellow who reported your right eye wasn't correctable to 20/20? Has something changed?

There is no discretion- there are rules and policies that address this. Your eye muscles aren't "juiced up beyond belief." Any 20+ year old with +2.5 Diopters on a cycloplegic exam will likely exhibit normal visual function. It's called accommodation.

If you have normal depth perception (technically normal stereopsis) refractive errors up to +4.00 are waiverable.

Aren't you the same fellow who reported your right eye wasn't correctable to 20/20? Has something changed?

Since I have been doing patching and visual therapy, my right eye is improving by the days.. Its amazing. I have no doubt that within 3-4 months, my eye will be back to 20/20. The refraction was my only concern. My depth perception is already perfect.. I already had that tested locally.

Guest goducks

Since I have been doing patching and visual therapy, my right eye is improving by the days.. Its amazing. I have no doubt that within 3-4 months, my eye will be back to 20/20. The refraction was my only concern. My depth perception is already perfect.. I already had that tested locally.

If all depth perception testing is normal and both eyes see at a normal level then you should be waiverable up to +4.00. The FCI exam does use Cyclopentolate which is stronger than what most civilian docs use (tropicamide and phenylephrine). If the +2.50 was determined using the weaker drugs, the Cyclopentolate refractive could read higher than +2.50, but I would be surprised if it was a lot more.

If all depth perception testing is normal and both eyes see at a normal level then you should be waiverable up to +4.00. The FCI exam does use Cyclopentolate which is stronger than what most civilian docs use (tropicamide and phenylephrine). If the +2.50 was determined using the weaker drugs, the Cyclopentolate refractive could read higher than +2.50, but I would be surprised if it was a lot more.

The doc that last tested me was ***********, they are actually a lasik operation, so the dilation drops they used were the strongest available (lasted for 2 days). They warned me that they dont use regular dilation drops.. so I am guessing thats just as strong as the FC1? :o)

Edited by Extra300Driver

Guest goducks

The doc that last tested me was ***********, they are actually a lasik operation, so the dilation drops they used were the strongest available (lasted for 2 days). They warned me that they dont use regular dilation drops.. so I am guessing thats just as strong as the FC1? :o)

Affirmative.

• 3 months later...

Just thought I would update this thread on my progress and a follow-up question:

Since I first started this thread, I began intense visual therapy.

As of now:

- my peripheral field test is off the charts (very good)

- 20/20 in left eye near and far

- 20/20 in right eye near, but 20/25 far (corrected)

- Binocularity (corrected) is perfect

For the next month, we are trying to get that distance on the right eye to 20/20 corrected. Problem is my central fixation is off by a tiny degree. But it originally was much worse.

Current Prescription:

O.D - +2.00

O.S - +0.75

QUESTION:::: I have to take an initial military entrance physical at MEPS. This is not the FC1, so will they DQ me for not being 20/20 corrected in one of my eyes? I figured since it was only for initial entry that it did not matter? I dont have enough time to fix my gaze in 2 weeks, but I definetley have enough time for the FC1.

Thank you in advance for your help!