Lasik + Visual Therapy for Amblyopia

Extra300Driver

My recent vision diagnosis was 20/40+1 and 20/30 in each eye. I am farsighted (Hyperopia). My near vision is perfect.

With correction in the eye exam, I was only able to get 20/20-1 in one eye and 20/25 in another.

My correction was +2.00 in one eye and +1.50 in another.

I have never worn contacts or glasses since I was a kid.

If I were to wear contacts, do you think my vision would improve to 20/20 in 6 months? (thats when the next board is due).

I am considering just shooting for lasik this month ASAP. But I worry that I might be biting off more than I need.

Edited by Extra300Driver

Guest goducks

My recent vision diagnosis was 20/40+1 and 20/30 in each eye. I am farsighted (Hyperopia). My near vision is perfect.

With correction in the eye exam, I was only able to get 20/20-1 in one eye and 20/25 in another.

My correction was +2.00 in one eye and +1.50 in another.

I have never worn contacts or glasses since I was a kid.

If I were to wear contacts, do you think my vision would improve to 20/20 in 6 months? (thats when the next board is due).

I am considering just shooting for lasik this month ASAP. But I worry that I might be biting off more than I need.

Something is not adding up. If you are far-sighted, your distant vision should be as good, or better, than your near. At your age, if your eyes are +2.00 or +1.50, you shouldn't have any problem with vision. Your eyes might have to work a little harder than normal, but this shouldn't have much impact on acuity.

Did they dilate your eyes and check the vision after dilation? That might yield more information that would be useful to understand what is going on.

As far as your questions go, it's hard to say whether contact will make any difference until we understand why you're not correctable to 20/20 today. If one eye was 20/20 and the other was not, I'd be suspicious that you might have a small amount of amblyopia due to the hyperopia. But, if both are not 20/20 that theory doesn't hold. You need to get more information from the doc.

I would NOT do LASIK if it were me. That's only going to complicate matters. With the numbers you gave IF your eyes are correctable to 20/20, you'd meet the refractive standards. But you must be correctable to 20/20.

GD

Something is not adding up. If you are far-sighted, your distant vision should be as good, or better, than your near. At your age, if your eyes are +2.00 or +1.50, you shouldn't have any problem with vision. Your eyes might have to work a little harder than normal, but this shouldn't have much impact on acuity.

Did they dilate your eyes and check the vision after dilation? That might yield more information that would be useful to understand what is going on.

As far as your questions go, it's hard to say whether contact will make any difference until we understand why you're not correctable to 20/20 today. If one eye was 20/20 and the other was not, I'd be suspicious that you might have a small amount of amblyopia due to the hyperopia. But, if both are not 20/20 that theory doesn't hold. You need to get more information from the doc.

I would NOT do LASIK if it were me. That's only going to complicate matters. With the numbers you gave IF your eyes are correctable to 20/20, you'd meet the refractive standards. But you must be correctable to 20/20.

GD

Yes.. my last doc told me I have a very mild case of amblyopia (lazy eye) in my right eye. No matter what they do with the lenses, they cannot get my right eye in 20/20. Do both eyes have to be 20/20 ? My left eye is easily correctable to 20/20, because its my dominant eye.

Do you think a patch over my eye for 6 months will help? lol.. thats when my MEPS visit will have to be done before the OTS rated board date.

Guest goducks

Yes.. my last doc told me I have a very mild case of amblyopia (lazy eye) in my right eye. No matter what they do with the lenses, they cannot get my right eye in 20/20. Do both eyes have to be 20/20 ? My left eye is easily correctable to 20/20, because its my dominant eye.

Do you think a patch over my eye for 6 months will help? lol.. thats when my MEPS visit will have to be done before the OTS rated board date.

Most people consider the visual system to be fully developed by age 10 (give or take a few years). I wouldn't expect wearing a patch will make a big difference, but truthfully it's an unknown.

Both eyes must be 20/20. That's the standard and I wouldn't expect much wiggle room.

Most people consider the visual system to be fully developed by age 10 (give or take a few years). I wouldn't expect wearing a patch will make a big difference, but truthfully it's an unknown.

Both eyes must be 20/20. That's the standard and I wouldn't expect much wiggle room.

Well I was reading that many LASIK patients have seen improved conditions with Amblyopia.. I mean.. It musnt be that bad if my amblyopic eye can almost achieve 20/20 vision with correction. I wasnt born this way. It must have happened in my later years as my left eye decided to takeover. BTW.. im nearsighted (not farsighted). Sorry.. seeing far away in my amblyopic eye is the 20/25.. near vision is fine.

Guest goducks

Well I was reading that many LASIK patients have seen improved conditions with Amblyopia.. I mean.. It musnt be that bad if my amblyopic eye can almost achieve 20/20 vision with correction. I wasnt born this way. It must have happened in my later years as my left eye decided to takeover. BTW.. im nearsighted (not farsighted). Sorry.. seeing far away in my amblyopic eye is the 20/25.. near vision is fine.

I've not read any studies that show improvement of amblyopia with LASIK. Not saying it doesn't happen, just that I've not heard.

Sorry, but it is that bad if your "amblyopic" eye can't see 20/20. Normal vision is about 20/13. 20/20 (and no better) is actually well below normal.

I assumed you were farsighted as the numbers you posted (+1.50 and +2.00) are how we report hyperopia, i.e. farsighted. Furthermore, amblyopia is almost never associated with being nearsighted. Again, the overall picture isn't making sense.

Guest goducks

Heres my diagnosis

OD - 20/40+1

OS - 20/30

Correction

OD - +2.00 20/25-

OS - +1.50 20/20-

"Frequency 55 aspheric lens"

Diagnosis: 367 OU Hyperopia, 368 Amblyopia, 367.2 Astigmatism

Well, the uncorrected acuity makes no sense. Given those numbers you should be 20/20 (or very close) without correction. Regardless, the picture is pretty clear that you have amblyopia in the right eye. This is somewhat common when you are farsighted and there is a difference in refractive error between the eyes. Normally, amblyopia is typically associated with a larger amount of anisometropia (that's that official name for differences in refractive error between eye), however, I guess it's possible with only a 0.50 D difference. Again, if you were cyclopleged, that difference may be dramatically different.

Bottom line is that you must be correctable to 20/20. Waivers for anything less are unlikely.

Guest goducks

I am going through with the Lasik and then doing RevitalVision Software.. which is a new FDA approved visual therapy program. I have 6 months.. and they say patients generally see results in 8-10 weeks. Lets pray this works!

I am curious as anyone (except for you) to find out if this works.

I am curious as anyone (except for you) to find out if this works.

Google "Adult Amblyopia Lasik" and you will see a few good trials/studies where many lasik patients in their mid-20s saw great improvements in their Amblyopic eyes.

In regards to RevitalVision.. Its actually sponsored and sold by Dr. Updegraff. And he is pretty famous for his work in Lasik, etc.

Edited by Extra300Driver