General Questions

Guest cdh50193

Guest cdh50193

I have some 'basic' questions about my knowledge in the military. My apologies for any knowledge that are obvious and should be known by now.

I'm a High School Senior and I'm looking forward to the ROTC (Scholarship) Program, but I'm not sure. For now, the Air Force interests me most, then Army, then Navy which I'm not exactly sure if I should apply for it. Perhaps I might apply to all of them and consider later with their scholarship offers.

But in any case, I'm going for an Engineering Major (Aerospace, Electrical, or Mechanical). Now I've looked around the forums and to my knowledge, many people who know they want to be straight-up pilots when commissioned, major in something easy such as International Affairs or History because they're looking for a high GPA compared to a intense and possibly low Engineering Major GPA. But though I have being a Fixed Wing Aircraft Pilot in mind, I'm not 110% sure to the point where I'm going to major in something easily manageable. For a fact I know I will be majoring in the Engineering field. So that in mind, I cant guarantee that I want to pursue a Fixed Wing Aircraft Pilot Slot.

That being said, I'm also considering the Army ROTC, but in the Aviation Rotary Winged Aircraft (Helos). Though I'm not quite sure how competitive this may be compared to a Pilot in the Air Force, this will be the direction I'll be heading if I decide on Army ROTC.

Now you may have noticed that I'm pursuing a career in the Aviation whether it's planes or helos, that's why I'm broadening my chances and looking to all branches of the military, including the Marines, which is why I'm not totally dropping the Navy ROTC Application. I don't know if it's just me but I don't believe the Marines Pilots are as heavily competitive as the Air Force's or Army's, but I may be totally incorrect due to opinionated sources.

Knowing my background and personal interests, HERE are the general questions I'm seeking to find answers to.

1. How difficult is the Army Rotary Winged Aircraft Pilot slot compared to the Air Force Pilot slot?

2. How competitive is the Marine Fixed Winged Aircraft Pilot slot compared to the Air Force Pilot slot?

3. How competitive is the Marine Rotary Winged Aircraft Pilot slot compared to the Army Rotary Winged Aircraft Pilot slot?

4. How competitive is the Navy Fixed Winged Aircraft Pilot slot compared to the Air Force Pilot slot?

5. Though I highly and strictly doubt this were to happen, but can a Commissioned Officer in one branch of the military move to another branch?

Technically speaking, do engineering majors really have a shot in this broad 'field' of any sort of pilots in today's world?

Any clarifications/motivations/suggestions/recommendations will be greatly appreciated and accepted.

Thanks in advance. :salut:

Knowing my background and personal interests, HERE are the general questions I'm seeking to find answers to.

1. How difficult is the Army Rotary Winged Aircraft Pilot slot compared to the Air Force Pilot slot?

2. How competitive is the Marine Fixed Winged Aircraft Pilot slot compared to the Air Force Pilot slot?

3. How competitive is the Marine Rotary Winged Aircraft Pilot slot compared to the Army Rotary Winged Aircraft Pilot slot?

4. How competitive is the Navy Fixed Winged Aircraft Pilot slot compared to the Air Force Pilot slot?

5. Though I highly and strictly doubt this were to happen, but can a Commissioned Officer in one branch of the military move to another branch?

Technically speaking, do engineering majors really have a shot in this broad 'field' of any sort of pilots in today's world?

Army vs AF

Marine vs AF

Navy vs AF

etc., etc., etc.

Rule 6