Scleral Laceration

bottlenose

I have not seen any information about Scleral Lacerations anywhere.

My case:

I was 3 years old when a piece of glass broke in front of me and a small piece chipped off and cut the white part of of my left my eye. It was a very small, 3mm cut, occurred about a half centimeter from the limbus. I had surgery to repair the cut and never had any issues since (now 22 years later). I was cleared through MEPS and had no issues with depth perception, color vision, or anything other than being about 20/40 (correctable to 20/20) in that eye (right eye is 20/20 uncorrected). It was not easy getting documentation from this incident but forunately I was able to retrieve a post operative report. My eyes were never an issue growing up. In fact, MEPS made me get an in depth eye consultation from a civilian opthomologist and he saw nothing wrong with my eyes, other than being very slightly nearsighted in my left eye.

I will be going to Brooks for an IFC1 in the near future. What I wanted to know is if this will cause me any problems getting a IFC1. Perhaps an MD can shed some light on this. Thanks in advance.

Edited by bottlenose

Guest goducks

I have not seen any information about Scleral Lacerations anywhere.

My case:

I was 3 years old when a piece of glass broke in front of me and a small piece chipped off and cut the white part of of my left my eye. It was a very small, 3mm cut, occurred about a half centimeter from the limbus. I had surgery to repair the cut and never had any issues since (now 22 years later). I was cleared through MEPS and had no issues with depth perception, color vision, or anything other than being about 20/40 (correctable to 20/20) in that eye (right eye is 20/20 uncorrected). It was not easy getting documentation from this incident but forunately I was able to retrieve a post operative report. My eyes were never an issue growing up. In fact, MEPS made me get an in depth eye consultation from a civilian opthomologist and he saw nothing wrong with my eyes, other than being very slightly nearsighted in my left eye.

I will be going to Brooks for an IFC1 in the near future. What I wanted to know is if this will cause me any problems getting a IFC1. Perhaps an MD can shed some light on this. Thanks in advance.

I doubt there will be an issue. It might need a waiver, but assuming no damage to underlying structures (retina, trabecular meshwork, lens, etc) that compromises function that shouldn't be a big deal. Also, that's based on no peripheral vision defects. After a couple of decades, the risk of further progression or degeneration is highly unlikely and that's what waivers are generally based on.

GD