Does FCIA have to be complete for commissioning?

FlyingBull

I commission on August 10th and in April I was upgraded to a CSO slot. Naturally I had to go get a FCIA physical at the local base. Did that and there were some minor dental issues I needed to get fixed and I did that and handed in the paperwork. I get a phone call yesterday and I'm told (less than two weeks before commissioning) that I need to get glasses to 'prove' my 20/30 vision in my right eye is correctable to 20/20. This is a bit confusing because in May, the Optometrist on base told me I don't need to get glasses until training starts and my physical should be fine because he 'proved' my eye was correctable in the eye exam with the mechanism they use that has all the lenses on it. It makes sense to me, but the flight doc now says he won't sign off on my physical without me first getting glasses. Well I'm working on that but there is no way I can 1) get an appointment 2) get the glasses 3) get another appointment at Flight Medicine and 4) have all the paperwork processed by HQ before August 10th.

That is critical because one of the NCOs at my Det said I can't commission as a CSO without a complete flight physical. I find this dubious because I know of someone at my Det who was upgraded to Pilot just days before he commissioned, and won't go to Brookes until after his EAD. Also I already had a commissioning physical done at MEPS before I was upgraded to CSO so there is a current physical on file, just not a flying one.

One last thought is that what if I was upgraded today instead of April? Would I have to delay my commissioning for months while I waited on the paperwork? That just doesn't seem to make sense but I can't find the AFI or AFROTCI which says what the rule is on this situation.

Anybody have any answers?

Guest goducks

I commission on August 10th and in April I was upgraded to a CSO slot. Naturally I had to go get a FCIA physical at the local base. Did that and there were some minor dental issues I needed to get fixed and I did that and handed in the paperwork. I get a phone call yesterday and I'm told (less than two weeks before commissioning) that I need to get glasses to 'prove' my 20/30 vision in my right eye is correctable to 20/20. This is a bit confusing because in May, the Optometrist on base told me I don't need to get glasses until training starts and my physical should be fine because he 'proved' my eye was correctable in the eye exam with the mechanism they use that has all the lenses on it. It makes sense to me, but the flight doc now says he won't sign off on my physical without me first getting glasses. Well I'm working on that but there is no way I can 1) get an appointment 2) get the glasses 3) get another appointment at Flight Medicine and 4) have all the paperwork processed by HQ before August 10th.

That is critical because one of the NCOs at my Det said I can't commission as a CSO without a complete flight physical. I find this dubious because I know of someone at my Det who was upgraded to Pilot just days before he commissioned, and won't go to Brookes until after his EAD. Also I already had a commissioning physical done at MEPS before I was upgraded to CSO so there is a current physical on file, just not a flying one.

One last thought is that what if I was upgraded today instead of April? Would I have to delay my commissioning for months while I waited on the paperwork? That just doesn't seem to make sense but I can't find the AFI or AFROTCI which says what the rule is on this situation.

Anybody have any answers?

I know for a fact that FCI exams are signed off at Brooks without the need to actually procure a pair of spectacles. As you said, the "correctable to 20/20" part can all be handled using temporary lenses in a trial frame.

Having said that, it seems that you are somewhat at the mercy of the flight doc if he/she insists on you getting glasses to sign off on the physical. Maybe it's worth the money to go down to Lenscrafters and pay our of pocket to get your glasses in one hour, then sit in the FSO office until they retest you (should take all of 2 minutes). At that point, all of the signatures and forwarding to various levels is all done electronically so there really doesn't need to be much of a delay.

GD

I hadn't thought about the Brooks thing but that makes perfect sense. I've got my Det NCO's involved and if the Flight Doc doesn't budge and I can't get glasses in time (less than a week now till Commissioning), the NCO's said they could get a waiver from HQ to commission and then finish the flight physical since I already have a commissioning physical from MEPS.

Should know for sure tomorrow.

Guest goducks

Turns out the flight doc doesn't give a damn what the optometrist on base has to say. So now I am shelling out a couple hundred bucks to get the damned glasses so I can commission.

What a dickhead. That's money well spent (not) given that you won't be allowed to fly with them. I suppose he doesn't believe the MRI results the neurologist sends down either. Unbelievable.

Edited by goducks

• 1 year later...

I've run into somewhat of the same problem. I graduated in December but due to a long delay in scheduling from the local base I didn't actually get my FC1A done until about a day or so before commissioning. I also have to get a waiver, which required me to go off base and see some local docs for a check up on a previous condition. Anyways I was informed today that I need to go back and have some blood work done next week. I still haven't technically commissioned and my EAD is coming up in early Feb. Since my FC1A hasn't even left the local base, I expect my EAD, IFS, UNT dates to change. Assuming everything comes back OK, does this cause any real problems other than moving EAD and class dates back? Should I expect to be waiting a while once my FC1A is sent out?