All American LZ

Guest JArcher00

Guest JArcher00

I do not have the time right now to look this up so someone please help. Is the All American LZ in LR considered a "dirt strip" for dirt qualification purposes? It says it is "cemented soil" Thanks

[ 15. May 2006, 04:12: Message edited by: RedDog ]

Guest KoolKat

Red-

There isn't anything I can find in the Vol 3.

Considering we have the asphalt strip, what would be the reason for using AA LZ if it wasn't for that?

Sorry man, I wish I had more time to try and dig through a book.

BENDY

Guest KoolKat

The flimsy calls it "cement stabilized dirt" with an RCR of 16 (dry) and 5 (wet.)

Sounds sufficently shitty to me for your purposes.

Better ask S&E though, just to be sure.

BENDY

Guest JArcher00

Thanks. That answers it. I could not remember from when I was there and now it is coming into play. Thanks again.

Guest Hydro130

Ah yes, good ol' AALZ...

When they first opened it up again ('99ish IIRC?) and it was NOT "cement stabilized dirt", I remember taking studs out their to get dirt-qualled (right after it had been freshly grated, mind you), and after only a couple of hours of single-ship zone ops, STS was calling "Terminate" because the zone was getting too rutted :eek: . It would take forever to get the zone re-grated. It was a 'good week' if there was one AALZ sortie on the bluelines :mad: ...

They needed to go to the "cement stabilized dirt" plan just to support the number of needed AMC/AETC dirt-qual sorties for LRF -- that move actually had nothing at all to do with Barney...

Cheers, Hydro

EDIT: Yes, it still is considered a "dirt LZ" for qual purposes, no question about that....

[ 16. May 2006, 12:03: Message edited by: Hydro130 ]

We're lucky if we're getting one line per week there, and not to mention we aren't even dropping there anymore. There were some close calls with the run-ins and the pattern/charlie climbout... so until they work that out it looks like blackjack. Ft. Polk is one of the other options our guys have been using for dirt quals. And I know that it had nothing to do with the 17's that's just what's been the latest cheap shot at Barney floating around.

Guest Hydro130

Dead,

Are you kidding me? Yowsers...

That (AA mid-air crap) was the EXACT same story brewing when I left LRF in mid 02...

So much for ANY progress in 4 years!!!

Hydro

Hydro

Yeah no big progress that we can see on the lower levels in the Squadrons just the knee jerk solution... SHUT IT DOWN! Everyonce in a while you'll see the LZ on the bluelines, and the 463rd is sometimes uses it for NVG Assaults instead of going all the way up(relatively) to BYH.

Standard AETC, can't do a damn thing to actually help the 463rd. God forbid they be able to get their dirt quals in their own local area.

Can't change the hallowed Charlie Climbout now can we.

I'm with both of you. Typical bad decision from a micro-manager. "Shut it down completely and we won't have any more problems!"

There's a difference between "fixing" a problem and "solving" a problem. Solving the problem means no other problems arise because you took the time to come up with an educated action instead of the knee-jerk fix to make everything look good on paper.

HD

--slight thread hijack--

Anyone remember a few years ago one of the actual dirt LZs at Pope (in the R5311 Range) being paved with concrete then dirt moved OVER the top of the concrete to HIDE the concrete just so the C-17s could land there?

I can't remember which LZ it was - which of the "big four" it was (SI, NO, SA, HO)...

Pretty darn funny stuff.

Guest Hydro130

I remember hearing that as well. It was associated with a specific event too, IIRC... Some kind of Barney show-of-force media stunt.

I don't recall which LZ it was though...

Pope TDYs... 5311, Longstreet, Green ramp, snowshoe, red corridor, food lion, "Tip" Stinette :eek: , etc, etc...

Yep, those were the days... Good times, good times!

:D Hydro