Going The As700 Route...

Guest Codename46

Guest Codename46

I'm currently an AS200 and plan on staying as a 700 because some extra classes would require me to stay in college for another year.

My GPA has also taken a big hit this semester as well. I was wondering if people who stay a year long are categorized and given their assignments with the FY11 people or FY10?

I'm currently an AS200 and plan on staying as a 700 because some extra classes would require me to stay in college for another year.

My GPA has also taken a big hit this semester as well. I was wondering if people who stay a year long are categorized and given their assignments with the FY11 people or FY10?

Being a super-senior is awesome! You still get paid and you have virtually no responsibilities around the Detachment. I give it three thumbs up.

If you take this route make sure that the admin folks get your projected graduation date updated in ALL your files. I changed to the five year program sophomore year. When I did the Det updated their paperwork but AFROTC HQ never made the change. This resulted in me missing my categorization board (same thing happened to two of my bros). Apparently when HQ gets a categorization package a year late, by their records, they throw it away instead of checking with the Det to see if there is an error with their projected grad date. We eventually got it worked out but it could have been very ugly.

Being a super-senior is awesome! You still get paid and you have virtually no responsibilities around the Detachment. I give it three thumbs up.

Umm.....maybe for some people. At our det, we have to register for Lead Lab, hold normal POC jobs, go to PT, fall into a flight at PT with 200s so that we are in better shape for Active Duty, report to AS 400s that are in charge of us....AND remember you only get paid if you are in a SECAF approved 5 year major.

Crank, Mappelby, and I would definitely not use the word awesome to describe our 5th year.

Here is a picture I made for commissioning that represents our 700 year.

n23201424_33540846_6782.jpg

The best part is you get to talk to your friends that commissioned in 4 years and hear all about how awesome AD is.

Umm.....maybe for some people. At our det, we have to register for Lead Lab, hold normal POC jobs, go to PT, fall into a flight at PT with 200s so that we are in better shape for Active Duty, report to AS 400s that are in charge of us....AND remember you only get paid if you are in a SECAF approved 5 year major.

Crank, Mappelby, and I would definitely not use the word awesome to describe our 5th year.

Here is a picture I made for commissioning that represents our 700 year.

n23201424_33540846_6782.jpg

The best part is you get to talk to your friends that commissioned in 4 years and hear all about how awesome AD is.

That sucks Wannabe. . . Det 165 seems to have gone way downhill since I wandered the halls of D.M. Smith. Back in my day they recognized that it was hard enough to get out of Tech without any extra ROTC bullshit. I think we had one AS700 LeadLab all year and it consisted of the Colonel briefing us on whether it was smarter to use our built-up leave or sell it back at the end of a career (if you get out early use it, if you get out late sell it back). Is your current bird a product of the ops world?

On an unrelated note. . . You guys need to request a C-17 show-and-tell and an orientation flight from Charleston one of these days. My bros did one at Virginia Tech last year and I'm itching for an excuse to go buzzing around the ATL.

Guest MizzouNav

I am with ya c17! The 5th year depends on how your Col does things, and i mine was similar. That 5th year feels like a century, but at least at my det i managed some BS jobs that reported to the wing commander and i got away clean. Just try to not get to jaded or frustrated, i knda failed at that the last 3 months of rotc.

That sucks Wannabe. . . Det 165 seems to have gone way downhill since I wandered the halls of D.M. Smith. Back in my day they recognized that it was hard enough to get out of Tech without any extra ROTC bullshit. I think we had one AS700 LeadLab all year and it consisted of the Colonel briefing us on whether it was smarter to use our built-up leave or sell it back at the end of a career (if you get out early use it, if you get out late sell it back). Is your current bird a product of the ops world?

On an unrelated note. . . You guys need to request a C-17 show-and-tell and an orientation flight from Charleston one of these days. My bros did one at Virginia Tech last year and I'm itching for an excuse to go buzzing around the ATL.

We aren't even in D.M. Smith anymore. They kicked us out 2 or 3 years ago and moved us over by the basketball coliseum. Our Col was a Nav but is too laid back, its really the Lt Col that took over as COC two years ago that brought about most of the drastic changes like AS700's registering for Lead Lab.

Our Col was a Nav but is too laid back

Wow, what tactful wording...

Like everything in ROTC and the Air Force, it all depends on YOUR situation at that precise moment, and everything is cyclical. As GearMonkey brought up, G Tech once was very friendly towards 700s. Now they treat 700s like crap. 3 years from now, who knows. Whatever you have to put up with, don't worry, it will all be over very soon. I would not think twice about doing it all over again to get me to where I am right now.

Good luck!

My eyes have been opened to a whole new bizzaro-AS700 world.

Codename, depending on your Det it may be great or it may suck. The bottom line is that a crappy extra year of ROTC is far better than flunking out of school or ruining your other four years by cramming too many classes into too little time.

• 2 weeks later...

monkey u got it right. my det/cc is a real nazi. i'm going to be a 700 next year and hes actually trying to create an as700 class that he highly encourages us to take. and of course with that we're expected to go to pt, llab, and hold cadet positions in order to "set the example as future af officers" for the younger cadets.

I had it pretty good as a super senior. I did have to show up to PT, so I always had the 80% attendance. :) LLab was still required, so I took classes in the afternoon so I missed half of it. And then I would skip that class sometimes. :) :)

Ya just gotta work the system. Now before you jump all over, "leadership by example!!" that's not the role of the "wing advisor." Go minimums!

Guest MizzouCE
Ya just gotta work the system. Now before you jump all over, "leadership by example!!" that's not the role of the "wing advisor." Go minimums!

My last year was "special projects officer" which meant advisor to the wing advisor, then i was recruiting officer, whcih menat i helped out the cadre keeping track of all 4 recruiting events we had! I was the recruiting guy and didn't get the recruiting ribbon. But all the stupid stuff sucked, like marching with freshman without being able to help train, we were just filler for the freshman to march in a full flight.

My last year was "special projects officer" which meant advisor to the wing advisor, then i was recruiting officer, whcih menat i helped out the cadre keeping track of all 4 recruiting events we had! I was the recruiting guy and didn't get the recruiting ribbon. But all the stupid stuff sucked, like marching with freshman without being able to help train, we were just filler for the freshman to march in a full flight.

The school I attend is a five-year school either way, so you just work out to having three years POC time. The program has been modified in this fashion:

100- PT, LLAB, AS100

200- PT, LLAB, AS200, FTP?

300- PT LLAB, AS300

400- PT, LLAB

500- PT, LLAB, AS"400"

Most of our five year cadets go off and on cooperative education for a quarter at a time. Additionally, since we have three quarters in the traditional academic year with ten weeks being a quarter, the winter quarter does not have any AS classes, just PT and LLAB. The CW/CC and other upper staff members are usually a fifth year cadet, and you're called literally a "350" during your fourth year. It works out, since you're never getting shit on by someone 'below' you for the last four years- they're still one down on the food chain.

You put in for and find out your AFSC in your fourth year, then your basing in the beginning of the fifth. The sweet part of that deal is you have all your contacts from 4 year schools who will be going off to AD, so you can pester them for info and tricks for when you get on with it, especially if you're in the same field. Sure, everyone you knew from FT (particularly the douchebags) will have a year TIG on you, but who cares? I get to avoid real life for another year, consume fore Jameson's and Guinness than thought humanly possible for another year of my prime, then go to AD, and they got to go right to their training base- I win.

So, yeah, it does suck not getting 'time off', but whatever... you're still getting paid and it keeps you in shape. Put up with the bullshit for another year and get to AD, forget ROTC, and move on.

Even if that means moving into a missile silo in the mid-west....

Edited by Stretch

I was the recruiting guy and didn't get the recruiting ribbon.

reason 1 billion and one that ROTC ribbons don't mean sh!t.

I got that one by taking 3 minutes to write an email to my AAS candidate class, to tell them that we had an opportunity to give tours at the det to prospective students... and then I couldn't even make it to that event. End of the semester, because cadets decide who gets that ribbon, our whole candidate class got it.

anyway, AS700 year... I'll be one of 2 AS7/800s with a job, since it's a carry over job.... oh well.

heh, made the decision to stick around for 1 more year of college, then slowly began to despise my campus more and more as time went on. Now I can't wait to get outta here!

Other advantages to staying for an AS700 year:

More time to impress cadre/get grades up/finess that PT score for categorization. More time to let the UAV hype pass.... which could backfire if UAV demand keeps skyrocketing. An opportunity to milk AF scholarship money and go for masters in 1 year (for some people). One year further from being stationed at Minot.

A positive for me is that it gave me one more summer, in which I got a cultural immersion PDT :rock:

Remember one thing... if you stay the full extra year, stipend cuts out before graduation.

Edited by AEWingsMN