TDY Gouge - Oman

Baseops.Net

Muscat (Seeb Int'l), Oman - The C-130 base ops put us up at the Hotel Intercontinental in Muscat, awesome place. (Phone: +968-600 500, fax: +968-600 012 email: muscat@interconti.com) About 25 minute drive from the base. They have a buffet on the ground floor, a little pricey, but ask for the American Embassy meal cards from the C-130 base ops before going down town (then your meals will be paid for without using your perdiem!). Has a great pool and health club. Be careful, the Flight meals you order from the ATOC support guys cost $15.00 a piece, there a some KFCs, Pizza Hut, etc. on the way back to the airport, and the drivers were happy to stop for us to get food.

Salala, Oman - I've diverted into Thumrait; but this was before the US buildup after Sept 11. We traveled to Salala for the Hilton (perks of flying a KC10). This was a 1.5 hour drive from Thumrait, but 15-20 minutes from downtown Salala or the airport. The Hilton in Salala is located on the edge of town on the Gulf heading towards the Yemen border. The complex is new and it is very very nice. The rooms are large and very plush. There are four restaurants and a couple of bars. The food is outstanding; especially the restaurants outside near the pool and beach. Check out the stir fry huts (the best I've ever had). The breakfast buffet wasn't all that considering the cost (the most expensive meal there) but it is acceptable. I would rate the Hilton in Salala a green star.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.