Police Record

Guest Eagle Man

Guest Eagle Man

I grew up always getting in trouble, but when I was 16 I realized what I wanted to do. My dream is to become a military pilot flying for the guard. Being arrested over 10 times for minor things such as truancy, trespasing, etc. prevent someone from getting in? I currently have all my licenses and just graduated from college with a solid 3.9 GPA in ME, I'm also 25, any chances?

some questions to consider

1. Have you been arrested for anything after you turned 18.

2. If not, was it in a state where juvenile records dont matter after you turn 18. Pretty much dont exist after you turn 18.

Congrats on getting on the straight and narrow, but being arrested that much, i dont know. But, you never unless you apply.

Guest Rainman A-10
Originally posted by WHAP:

some questions to consider

2. If not, was it in a state where juvenile records dont matter after you turn 18. Pretty much dont exist after you turn 18.

Don't be fooled, those records exist. Don't lie about it.

More than 10 arrests? Ouch.

yeah, but some states dont allow even the offender to discuss the records officially (like informing employers, ect) without court consent. The records exist but they are expunged. I knew some guys back in arizona who got in despite having a criminal record when they were juveniles.

Guest kylejustin

Eagle Man,

Just make sure you are up front about it, even if they were as a juvenile. I had 3 arrests on my record prior to turning 18 and when I enlisted in the AF, they were still able to access them. I recently paid a lawyer $350 to have the records expunged...turns out it was a waste of time/money because even though the record was expunged, it is still not totally destroyed. I was under the impression that if the record was expunged, I could legally say I had never been convicted of a crime. Juvenile records are not public record, and the only way someone can get access to them is if you authorize it. So, paying to have to have the record expunged is unnecessary.

When you do your security clearance, the last page is consent to give the investigator full access to your records. I called the courthouse in Idaho where my records are kept and they told me if an investigator shows up with this in hand, they have to give him/her access to your records.

Guest Rainman A-10

yeah, but some states dont allow even the offender to discuss the records officially (like informing employers, ect) without court consent. The records exist but they are expunged. I knew some guys back in arizona who got in despite having a criminal record when they were juveniles.

Just because they got in doesn't mean someone didn't look at the records.

I would tell the truth but you can take WHAP's "Internet Message Board Harvard Law Degree" advice and hope you don't have to explain yourself later.

You can lie and take your chances or you can tell the truth. It sounds like you have more than enough recent performance history to prove you have "grown out of it."

When in doubt, tell the truth. Technique only.

Guest kmgraham79

For your own good, just tell them the truth about your past. You don't want to have to worry about Security Clearance Investigations.

In a past topic, Rainman mentioned that he had to have a semi-annual lie-detector test for his security clearance. From what I've heard and read, this is very rare...but it does happen depending upon the airframe and mission your going to get. You don't want to have worry about that down the road.

Guest Eagle Man

Thanks Guys! I will be upfront, I know they will find out. Hopefully they take me. Thanks again guys, I feel more confident now!

Read the post rainman, i didnt say lie about it. I simply told the guy about an option he could look at. And by the way, I got in the AF by telling the truth and getting a waiver myself.

Harvard law huh? nice shot, but not quite my style.

Guest Rainman A-10

Read the post rainman, i didnt say lie about it. I simply told the guy about an option he could look at. And by the way, I got in the AF by telling the truth and getting a waiver myself.

Harvard law huh? nice shot, but not quite my style.

I know what you said. To me, purposeful omission is not honest...it is lying. I didn't call you a liar. Good on you for telling the truth, that's the right thing to do.

Technique only, you could've told this kid to do what you did and had credibility based on your own experience.

BTW, the Harvard Law thing wasn't a "shot" at you, it's just something we say in my unit when guys start to quibble or BFM the rules. No pilot likes to be compared to a lawyer.

I like to use the line "I went to flight school, not law school...can you make the ROE a little easier to understand and apply for a guy who is flying a single seat jet, at night, in sh!tty weather, with people shooting at him?" when people start getting too technical with the rules/regs.

Anyway, I meant no personal offense to you. Just trying to get a young kid started out with his shoulders square to the line of scrimmage.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TheBurt

Eagle Man,

The stuff you did before age 18 can be expunged from the record, true. But unfortunately when you get your background checked they go see your school teachers, friends, family, search NCIC, local police records, credit history, etc, they also can get access to your juvinile records and believe me they will find out. Most of us have had the Office of Personnel Management case officer come ask us about someone we knew who was getting a clearance, and they ask for 3 more names and so, on and so on, you get the picture. You made the right decision in deciding to tell all, anyway, good on you and good luck.