Chances for ANG Fighter?

tar_heel

Just got my PCSM score back & finalized some applications. Figured I'd post here for some feedback. I'm a civilian, no prior military experience.

PCSM: 74 with 16 flight hours

AFOQT: 98 Pilot, 99 Nav. 95 Verbal, 76 Academic, 49 Quantitative

GPA: 3.34

I know I hit it out of the park with the AFOQT Pilot & Nav. I don't have a great feel for PCSM--someone told me that above 70 was great. Thoughts?

Thanks!

PCSM 2.0 is very heavily based on flight hours. A PCSM of 74 for 16 flight hours most likely means your 201+ column is mid to high 90's. Keep flying, earn that pilots license, and I highly doubt it will be difficult for you to get an interview. At that point, just be yourself (I know, but it's true), and hopefully a unit will see you as a good fit.... Just as long as your degree isn't gender studies.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, tk1313 said:

PCSM 2.0 is very heavily based on flight hours. A PCSM of 74 for 16 flight hours most likely means your 201+ column is mid to high 90's. Keep flying, earn that pilots license, and I highly doubt it will be difficult for you to get an interview. At that point, just be yourself (I know, but it's true), and hopefully a unit will see you as a good fit.... Just as long as your degree isn't gender studies.

201+ column is 97, so makes sense on weighting. And no, I went to school for a degree that I could put to use...BS in Buisness

• 2 weeks later...

I can only speak from my own experience, but when I was trying to get picked up by a Guard/Reserve fighter squadron, it seemed like the person or persons who ended up getting hired fell into two categories. Category one were applicants who made a real connection with the guys at the squadron, and fit well into the culture. Category two was the same as category one, but add an ATP license and a resume that had a bunch of contract ISR work on it. I had better scores than you, but didn't really mesh well with the several fighter squadrons I visited. Luckily ended up finding a heavy unit that I really fit in with, and got hired by them.

My point is, your scores are fine (PCSM a little low, but get enough flight hours til its in the 80s at least and you should be good), but what's gonna make it or break it is if you get along with the guys in the squadron bar, and they like you better than they like the 15-30 other people who came to visit/rush.

^ Pretty much what sforron said, the biggest thing your scores and resume needs to answer for them is "Will this guy make it through all the training?". Arbitrary and undefined goal, but my point is you don't have to have the highest score of all the applicants, just one that gives them a warm fuzzy you'll make it through. If the answer to that question is yes, then the most important follow on question is "Do I like this guy/gal and will they fit in?". That's where visiting the squadron and getting to know the board and pilots will make you money, as well as the interview itself. Chances are if you made it to the interview, they at least feel confident you're qualified and likely to make it through.