Epi-pen

Duck

ALC? No I sure don't. Spent last 4 years hanging out with the guard so was on Tricare Prime Remote. Got allergy tested and found out I have severe (anaphylactic shock) allergies to shellfish. Went to Flt Doc today and was given a refill of Epi-pens (6) no questions asked. I am scheduled to deploy next year, any advice on what to do?

It's amazing the solid info I get from this site. Can't imagine going through my AF career without it.

Guard
Sounds about right.
AFI48-123, AFGM2015-01, 27 August 2015

5.3. Standards. While this is not an all-inclusive list of disqualifying conditions, conditions and defects listed in Chapter 5 and the Medical Standards Directory are potentially disqualifying and/or preclude continued military service.

Medical Standards Directory (MSD), 28 Jul 2015

A2 Any allergic condition which requires desensitization therapy. 

A3 Allergic manifestations:  A reliable history of generalized reaction with anaphylaxis to common foods (the eight common foods as per FDA:  Milk, Eggs, Wheat, Soy, Peanut, Tree nuts, Shellfish, or Fish), spices or food additives. 

A4 History of food-induced anaphylaxis.

You definitely need a FFD/MEB, followed by a flying waiver.  The Public Health techs that screen you for deployment, and the Doc that processes your DD 2795 SHOULD catch it, but they might not.  (You feelin' lucky, punk?)

Everything for the MEB should be done at least 120 days before your depart date to allow the flying waiver to route (which needs ACS review), and then to allow the deployment waiver to process through CENTCOM/USAFCENT (or whoever the gaining COCOM is).  This is probably doable, and what I recommend you pursue.  Otherwise, you're kinda rolling the dice with your career.

If you are already seeing a TRICARE network Allergist, or saw one in the last 90 days, half the work is already done.  Talk to the local MSME, talk to your FS, and make them prioritize your case.  Be persistent and proactive.  The condition is listed in the flying waiver guide as "Urticaria, Angioedema, and Anaphylaxis."

If there is a clinical need to have an Epi-Pen available at all times, that makes the case incompatible with unrestricted flying duties. [...] Anaphylaxis is not graded acute or chronic, so any aviator case diagnosed as anaphylaxis necessitates grounding followed by a thorough evaluation prior to consideration for a waiver. [...] Anaphylaxis can be considered for a waiver ONLY if the cause is identified and can be treated and/or totally avoided
Don't get discouraged by these standards.  The FCII waiver approval rate for Anaphylaxis is remarkably good (~85%).
  • Upvote 1

Haven't been on here in some time but glad I checked back in. I am going to the allergy clinic tomorrow to have an allergy test conducted due to a reaction to a fire ant bite. I didn't have a full anaphylactic reaction but broke out in hives and had numbness in my face. I have been carrying the epipens since August and was told by the allergist that if I am found to be allergic to fire ants and start the Immunotherapy (IT) that my med records will meet a RILO, Records in Lieu Of which he explained as an internal review. He first mentioned MEB and I began to sweat so he clarified the process but I still have my fears. I am an enlisted flier, over 20 and trying to stay in my current unit for at least another 2-3 years. The allergist also said the IT would keep me from any deployments due to the shots which are given monthly for 3-5 years and the possible reaction each time. I will have to do some more reading in the above regs if it turns out I am allergic to something necessitating the IT. Best of luck to you Duck.

• Upvote 1

Thanks man. Went to the flight doc with deaddebates info. No word on what's gonna happen with the deployment and he didn't ground me... I didn't argue either way...