Waiver for green weak color vision on an SMOD physical?

Greetings,

First off I know this isn't necessarily a flght question but this seems a good place to get the answer I'm looking for, so forgive me if I'm wasting time.

I've been searching through numerous AFI's and AFPAM's about this issue, but I cannot seem to find a straightforward answer.

I know that for a SMOD physical, normal color vision is a requirement. However, is it possible to get a waiver? Has anyone ever heard of it? The only waiver guide I can find says a waiver will not be granted for a flight physical.

I'm highly interested in the 13SX field (Missile side to be exact) but I'm green weak and I cannot pass a PIP exam. Other than that I don't think I'd have any other issues. I currently operate and maintain a ground-based radar set with no issues; whether it's working with color-coded wires or working with a color computer moniter, and was not even aware I had a color issue until a few years back

Insight from people with first hand knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Crew Dawg,

You probably just made my god damn day - been trying to wrestle answers out of the vortex known as the internet for weeks now. Many thanks for your help.

Follow on question:

Did you get that waiver/AFSC combination coming into the AF or did you get it after you where already in?

Edited by Chernobyl1986

Air Force Waiver Guide

Last Update: 2 Aug 2012

…Waiver recommendations and management are primarily dependent on the etiology, severity of the color deficiency and can only be made on a case by case basis…color vision deficiency for the following career fields is NOT waiverable (per Career Field Manager): 1A0, 1A1, 1A2, 1A3, 1A4, 1A6, 1A7, 1U0…

ACS evaluation at the discretion of AFMSA

You are eligible for waiver. If tentatively approved for waiver application, you may need to go TDY to ACS at Wright-Pat for eval (Link: https://kx.afms.mil/...Consult_USAFSAM ).

Be mentally prepared for a possible DQ. Looks like in 2010, there were 35 SMOD waiver applications, 24 were DQ’d, for a 31% approval rate.

See link in my signature for the Waiver Guide link.

Edited by deaddebate

Thanks alot, both of you. Even better to have numbers backing it up so I know I'm not just getting the run-around.

I was already accepting of a DQ because I didn't think I was even eligible for a waiver. My backup choice is the 21AX field which (to my knowledge) doesn't have a color vision standard.

Will keep posted on any official happenings.

Edited by Chernobyl1986

Good afternoon-

Concerning the SMOD, would they waive excessive refractive error? I am sitting at -9.00 in both eyes.

Nope, you're good with that. SMOD only has a Color Vision requirement and you need to be correctable to 20/20, near and far.
Air Force Waiver Guide 2 Aug 2012

Excessive refractive error is not listed specifically as disqualifying for ATC/GBC and SMOD duties, but these members must be able to correct to 20/20 near and far in each eye.

Edited by deaddebate

• 2 months later...

I know this is primarily a flyer's board, but for those Space/Missile folk out there (and in additional response to the original question)...

AFI48-123 was revised and released on 24 Aug 2012 as AFI48-123_AFGM3, but didn't make it down to my level until the last couple of weeks. Biggest thing to denote:

13SXA, 13SXB, 13SXD, and 13SXE AFSCs no longer required to be on a SMOD status. The coneheads are still required to do so. However, the requirement for normal color vision is still required for entrance into the career field (waivers still possible, as I can attest).

Also, retention standards for people with obstructive sleep apnea have been revised.