Monofixation

Guest voidwp2556

Guest voidwp2556

So I went to WPAFB for my FC1 physical earlier this summer. I did not do well on the depth perception tests. I passed everything else. Once I failed the OVT, they had me go through the other battery of depth tests, and again, I was spotty - getting things right but not consistently enough.

I left there being told I was DQ'd. I started doing a lot of research on depth perception - mainly on the mil forums - and started doing eye exercises everyday. Last week I was on TDY at Maxwell. At the advise of some of the ROTC officers there, I went over to the base clinic and asked them to test me on Depth Perception. I explained my situation to the technician, who said that sometimes the machines are not warmed up or calibrated properly. When I took it again with him (using all the tips I found here and having done the exercises I did) I passed through F.

I sent the results in, but am now being told that I was DQ'd for "monofixation syndrome which can result in intermittent lack of depth perception," for which there is no waiver.

Does anyone have any advice?! Would appreciate any and all input, thanks in advance!

Recommedations:

1st. See a civilian or preferably a former AF flight surgeon/Ophthalmologist and get a complete battery of tests and his opinion. It may be worth the expense.

2nd Occlusive patching or optical penalization should be considered as the clinical situation warrants. The amount of occlusive patching is dependent upon many factors, including age, density of amblyopia, and underlying etiology. In cases of mild amblyopia secondary to anisometropia, part-time occlusion may be all that is needed.

The prognosis for alignment and maintenance of subnormal binocularity is excellent.

3rd Keep up the firght until they throw you out the door.

4th There is always the Marine Corps...:) Good luck with it....

Guest usafa2007

So I went to WPAFB for my FC1 physical earlier this summer. I did not do well on the depth perception tests. I passed everything else. Once I failed the OVT, they had me go through the other battery of depth tests, and again, I was spotty - getting things right but not consistently enough.

Did the other tests include the one where you looked down a long, rectangular box and had to line two posts?

Did they outfit you with glasses and have you try with and without those?

I ask because if they did not, then you didn't get the full work up. Like spur said, keep fighting. Try to find a flight doc and/or commander who is on your side. In my experience, civilian eye doctors are MUCH more knowledgable about this (I could go on and on), but the military does not care one bit about this. Keep doing those exercises, but don't admit to doing them. And keep fighting.

• 1 year later...

Disqualifications for Flying are from AFI 48-123.

6.44.8.2.4. Heterotropia, including microtropias and monofixation syndrome, at near or distance.

This is frequently discovered and investigated at you're optometry eval. Post your -phorias and -tropias if you know them.

You're also going to get a depth-perception, which monofixation can have affect. If you fail the depth-perception, you will be specifically tested for monofixation as well.

• 2 weeks later...