AFRC board - June 2011

Guest lbzrider14

Guest lbzrider14

So board deadline is out; May 31st. Seems like we'll all have plenty of time before submitting, right?....wrong? Thanks to the FCI base change to Wright Patterson.

Seeing where everyone stands and who will be submitting to this board along with myself. Heard a few people already received FCI dates at Wright Patt for April 25.

Edited by lbzrider14

Interesting...

Well if anyone has info on how long the FC1 physicals are actually good for, let me know.

Also, does anyone have any info on what the "flavor" of the next board is going to be?

- A couple of sources have told me that this past board was all Generals. Will that happen again next go around?

- Weather fair or not, a line on AFOQT scores was drawn and AFOQT scores pulled a lot of weight...

I'm confused as hell about what to do and how to prepare for the board. Just ordered the ARCO 7/e book to study and retake the AFOQT, but I'm not even convinced that is the best decision at that point.

-One question I have about that is how much will my PCSM go up if my AFOQT Pilot score goes up? Already maxed out the flight hours...

Edited by skifreeatomic

Guest UCav8or

3.1.2. Flying Training. Examination (SF Form 88) must be current within 36 months prior to starting Undergraduate Flying Training (UFT). Medical history (SF Form 93) must be verified as current within 12 months prior to start of training.

3.1.2.2. A long flying class II physical is conducted prior to beginning active flying Undergraduate Flying Training (UFT). Pilot candidates must have a current, certified flying class I examination on record, pass EFS-Medical and meet flying class II standards to begin UPT.

That's what I found. I couldn't find any guidelines as to what the board is looking for. My guess, as long as you've passed and certified a FC1 within the past 24 months... That should be good enough to get you started into UPT by the 36 month deadline. In reality, 12 months from board selection to the start of UPT should be plenty of cushion... But things happen.

Again, that's just a guess but if the FC1 needs to be current within 36 months for UPT and you're 27 now... You shouldn't have a problem. As for being age critical... I turn 29 in May and my recruiter said I'll be good for the next board and maybe the one after that... Maybe.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Guest lbzrider14

Skifree, what are your scores for AFOQT and PCSM? Have you already taken it twice? I know two is the max. You have a lot of time to kill before next board, so If your really concerned with scores and they're below 80's for pilot and PCSM, I'd pick up a joystick, rudder peddles and a fun game like lock on, flaming cliffs 2 and play every day for two months. This will give you lots of practice using one hand on the stick and trigger , the other on the keyboard, and feet on pedals. Study the book every night before bed so you Can nail the pilot parts with ease. Develop an ABC strategy gameplan for the easy/fast paced sections like the tables and plane orientation. For the orientation I always did the following.. looked at heading first, bank right or left, climb/decent last so that I always looked at it in that order and every picture was the same technique. If your nonpilot scores are fine, just study the sections that make up the pilot scores, there is a breakdown out there of what sections gets calculated into pilot/nav/ aptitude/ etc, I use to have it. Also since you have taken the tbas before there is no reason you shouldn't get 100 percent of the UAV orientation questions correct, its a simple technique that you Can already be clicking the correct image even before it allows you to, which will make your selection time less than 0.1 second. Do some research. PM me I have the AFOQT breakdown.

No way you should get lower scores, but only improve them next time around.

Edited by lbzrider14

Guys and Gals: You've heard, I'm sure, that a number of unit selectees were not hired by the November 2010 HQ board. My suggestion to you all is to consider how you can improve your chances. Next board will be more competitive because those who weren't hired in Nov. will sit again, and their packages will almost certainly be stronger. You're NOT hired yet, so stop telling people you are and don't get too comfortable. For you civilians, no relaxing until you're on a base in a uniform. For the Nov. board, the average AFOQT Pilot score was 91 and the average PCSM was 94. Good luck to you all.

Guest lbzrider14

Is there a difference between a FC1 and a FULL FC1 that people are saying the board requires? Will we have to go to Brooks prior to being able to compete at the board or just have our FC1's at WP complete?

The official name for the physical we are required to have to meet the board and fly is FCI/AMS. There two different physical administered at the same time. everyone is referring to the full FCI/AMS when they're discussing the Brooks physical. But this is all changing to WP. brooks will eventually no longer give flight physical to candidates.

The difference this time around is that apparently all packets that meet the June board will have to be certified by AETC (or whomever)...that means going to brooks (or in this case WP), having the physical and getting the docs to sign off on your stuff (usually a week or two after the physical), and then having the physical approved by whatever command authority is required for the FC1 to be complete.

In my case, because I required a RS Waiver, I did the FC1 in late July and got final approval in mid October if I remember correctly.

YMMV. This is just rumors of course, so check with your recruiters.

I don't think I'm alone in this thought, but here we are in mid December. If any one of us who is already sponsored by a unit cannot get a flight physical conducted and certified in the six months prior to the next board, that is rhediculous. Not saying it's out of the question, but working with our recruiters and units, if we can't get everything accomplished in six months, it's nuts - and clearly out of our control.

Guest lbzrider14

I don't think I'm alone in this thought, but here we are in mid December. If any one of us who is already sponsored by a unit cannot get a flight physical conducted and certified in the six months prior to the next board, that is rhediculous. Not saying it's out of the question, but working with our recruiters and units, if we can't get everything accomplished in six months, it's nuts - and clearly out of our control.

Yeah normally it would not be an issue to get it done in 6 months. However, considering the Brooks to WP conversion, last week couple guys started getting Wright-Patterson dates for all the way out to April 25th. This is a severe issue for folks trying to go for the June board, and is sure causing my head to hurt seeing as though I'm one of those going for the June board. haha

Does anyone out there think that we might be able to get our FCI's completed at our own unit if we were sponsored? I would imagine that AFRC wouldn't approve of this but has anyone asked their recruiter or POC at their unit if this would be possible?

Guest T56HeAd

I'm sure its possible to get it done at your sponsoring/home unit considering this timeline isnt adding up... the board will no longer view packets that do not include the complete FC1... but WPat isnt going to be doing any until late April (from what I am reading here)... takes Brooks 2-4 weeks to get the results if you dont require a waver. I must assume that WPat will have some of the typical start-up problems until they run a few groups through. It doesnt seem like there will be many packets that qualify to meet the board in June.

As I posted in another board, my recruiter told me of a change in requirements several months back and had me conduct my flight physical at my home unit prior to even interviewing with the unit to see if they would sponsor me for the board. I think they're receiving direction to get us certified at our home units for the time being. I will confirm whether or not I'm able to get that flight physical certified and post whether or not I'm able.

I'm actually waiting to hear if my unit will sponsor me for a nav slot and hope to know more soon.

As I posted in another board, my recruiter told me of a change in requirements several months back and had me conduct my flight physical at my home unit prior to even interviewing with the unit to see if they would sponsor me for the board. I think they're receiving direction to get us certified at our home units for the time being. I will confirm whether or not I'm able to get that flight physical certified and post whether or not I'm able.

I'm actually waiting to hear if my unit will sponsor me for a nav slot and hope to know more soon.

So apparently as a Nav, I only need a unit flight physical, not a Brooks/WP physical, so my scenario is not the least bit helpful to the majority of folks here which I assume are pilots.

Guest messenger

Does anyone here have GOOD info on the likely hood of an age waiver being considered at the June board?

I am unit sponsored, but was not selected by this past Nov AFRC board. My pilot AFOQT score is 97 and my PCSM is 90 (soon to be 91 with a few more flight hours). My medical from Brooks is complete and approved. I am already a member of the sponsoring unit and am ready for immediate orders to OTS. I will be 29 at the June board, but would be 30 by the time I started UPT.

If it’s over, I understand, but if there is still a possibility, I’d like to know about it.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

Guest UCav8or

I'm kind of in the same boat. I'll be 29 in May but should be okay for UPT if I get picked up this time around. I'll probably be listed as age critical though... If you get picked up, they will do everything they can to get you into UPT before you turn three-zero. From what I've heard getting an age waver is next to impossible unless you don't make it due to air force error (paperwork gets lost, ect.).

I wouldn't lose hope though. With all the changes being made (Brooks to WP and the change to the board date) things will probably go in your favor as long as you have a strong application packet. I don't know how many letters of rec. you had, but try to have at least four (preferably from high ranking government officials).

Here is a little tip that worked out great for me, but you'll have to start now. Send out letters to your state's senators, congressmen... Hell, even your local chief of police will work. Tell them your situation and that you would appreciate a meeting with them to discuss the possibility of them writing you a letter of rec. It's not an election year, so that kind of sucks. But keep bugging them and you're sure to get a bite. Just make sure you treat it like a professional interview and dress appropriate.

Other than that... Get on the horn with your recruiter and try to get things moving for an age waver (if he thinks you'll need one). I think you'll be fine. If your unit want you and you have a solid application, you should have no problem getting picked up this time around.

Does anyone here have GOOD info on the likely hood of an age waiver being considered at the June board?

I am unit sponsored, but was not selected by this past Nov AFRC board. My pilot AFOQT score is 97 and my PCSM is 90 (soon to be 91 with a few more flight hours). My medical from Brooks is complete and approved. I am already a member of the sponsoring unit and am ready for immediate orders to OTS. I will be 29 at the June board, but would be 30 by the time I started UPT.

If it’s over, I understand, but if there is still a possibility, I’d like to know about it.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by UCav8or

The difference this time around is that apparently all packets that meet the June board will have to be certified by AETC (or whomever)...that means going to brooks (or in this case WP), having the physical and getting the docs to sign off on your stuff (usually a week or two after the physical), and then having the physical approved by whatever command authority is required for the FC1 to be complete.

In my case, because I required a RS Waiver, I did the FC1 in late July and got final approval in mid October if I remember correctly.

YMMV. This is just rumors of course, so check with your recruiters.

hhmmmmm currently I am active duty and had my FC1 done at my base. I did have PRK and required a waiver. I have NOT gone to Brooks however I just got an email confirmation from our FC1 Cooridinator at my base that my FC1 and waiver was sent to AETC, certified, and returned. Does this mean I am good to go?

Guest T56HeAd

From what I understand, you are good to go. When I went to Brooks, I was told that I could have just gotten my FC1 done at my home unit instead of traveling all the way down (I am already commissioned though). So I don't think it is totally necessary to go to Brooks/WP.

Guest lbzrider14

So It's been over 5 months since my recruiter sent over my "FCI/1A request to physical" and a little more than a month ago I got the official word from AFRC surgeon general that I was "approved" to take my FCI physical but still no dates given to me as of today.... I thought people usually are notified of their physical dates within 2 weeks of sending down the request to physical?

Does anyone have any ideas what the holdup could be, or advice of who I could contact besides my recruiter to look into this?

So It's been over 5 months since my recruiter sent over my "FCI/1A request to physical" and a little more than a month ago I got the official word from AFRC surgeon general that I was "approved" to take my FCI physical but still no dates given to me as of today.... I thought people usually are notified of their physical dates within 2 weeks of sending down the request to physical?

Does anyone have any ideas what the holdup could be, or advice of who I could contact besides my recruiter to look into this?

My FC1 came slower than christmas as i recall.

I got hired by my unit in may. FINALLY got dates around AUG and went on 27 sept.

• 1 month later...
Guest hold_shortc5

Hey whats up everybody? I was wondering if there were anyone monitoring this topic that didn't get accepted for the November 2010 and what there status is as of right now? What you are doing to pass the time till the board meets again?