Info on Disenrollment from ROTC

Guest lightning4eva

Guest lightning4eva

All,

I'm looking for information concerning whether anyone has still commissioned after their det/cc has recommended that they be disenrolled.

If they didn't commission, did they serve enlisted (say if they were Prior-E) or did they have to payback their scholarship?

Rumors, examples, or anything is helpful.

Guest KillYourself

Buddy of mine who had his UPT slot and was 2 months away from commissioning was disenrolled for conditional events due to low grades. Currently serving as an A1C (without a degree).

Moral of the story: keep your priorities straight.

Guest twood

one of ours a year ago was disenrolled cause he was a junior and changed his major without telling the cadre, it would cause his commissioning date to roll back a year 1/2 so they make him enlist without a degree as well. We also had one lose a commission cause he got arrested he was let go, and another one is getting kicked out without having to serve cause he just plan sux

Guest ucandoit

Our det had a person who sie at ft and he had to pay back all of his schollarship. He did not have to enlist. The air force is cutting back now so you most likely will not have to enlist. They do not want someone who does not want to be there, its counterproductive for all parties involved

Guest ShadowNav090

Slik,

I had to go through a Dis-enrollment Investigation. I basically failed an entire semester of classes. I had some extenuating circumstances (my mom had cancer). It wasn't up to the Col. whether he wanted to start the investigation or not. He had to because I failed my classes. (don't think he liked me that much to begin with). I was a 5 year cadet and this happened in my 5th year. I also lost my Nav slot because I was changing my fiscal year of graduation. The biggest problem they had with me was that I didn't ask for help when I knew I needed it. (when my grades started slipping) I tried to do it all on my own.

So the story continues: I took the next semester off to get my head strait and get out of debt (I was also in debt with credit cards.... typical snowball effect). That was when they were doing the investigation on me. I wasn't the #1 cadet, but I did to copious amounts for the Det in way of training, recruiting, extracurricular, etc. I was a model cadet my AS 100 through AS 400 years. I also got some important people to write me recommendations (character letters). Bottom line is that I was giving a second chance, I finished the next year and commissioned in the spring.

My main selling points were 1) I admitted to my mistakes, and owed up to them. They were my fault and I took ownership of them. 2) I made the impresses upon the board that I was committed to getting my degree and that I would finish my BS even if I was not getting a commission (and they have to let you do that if they decide to enlist you). So I made the point that the AF would just be loosing an officer that has had an amazing learning experience and they would loose nothing by investing in me for another two semesters. (all of my character letters reflected the same points)

My advice to you is find out the process for a disenrollment investigation. Know the regulations! Know what they can and can't do to you and how much time you have to complete your portion of it. Also find someone on the Cadre that will help you with your portion. You will have to make a statement. I suggest you make a written one instead an oral one. Have that person. among others, proof your statement. Try not to sound like you are whining. I went through 6 or 7 drafts. Good Luck!

After I was reinstated (or whatever you want to call it) I got another nav slot and commissioned. Once I graduated it was all water under the bridge. I started clean with a new slate. That stuff doesn't follow you to active duty. Now I am a special ops navigator stationed at Kadena AB in Japan. I got DG out of of my flying training in Little Rock. Things can be turned around.

It can be done if you want it. But you need to impress that on the board members. If you don't want it, then it will be apparent. Good Luck Man. If you have any questions PM me and I will be happy to answer them.

R-17

• 3 years later...
Guest tenguFlyer

Question:

I have a rated position. I may be up for a disenrollment investigation in about 3 weeks. I say may, because it is likely not going to happen since it has to do with a grading error that will likely get changed. However, regs say that change has to be in a certain time period and the error was not discovered until that time preiod almost expired, so I am a little concerned because my school's beurocracy moves slow.

Ok, that doesn't really matter. Fact is, they will probably waive the grade in time. But I want to calm my nerves. If I do get a disenrollment investigation, my commander will reccommend to retain me. However, CAN they take my rated slot? (The grades did not affect my DOG or DOC). The conditionals are in split areas. (2 academic, 1 performance) Nothing like a DUI or drug use or anything insane like that. I'm worried about this more than anything else at the moment.

I'm pretty sure that the regs on disenrollment investigation AFROTCI 36-20XX say that the investigator can only reccommend to Commander AFROTC HQ to retain, disenroll, or retain with probation, and that is the only thing that goes to the Commander's office. But I can't find this anymore. Any help would be appreciated. TIA.

Guest ColumbusLT

Man, I don't know your situation, but if everything you say is true, I would imagine a lot of asspain could be avoided if your CC will step up and avoid doing everything to the letter of AETC-nazis. If in fact he WILL recommend you to be retained regardless, and its just a matter of correcting a grading error, I would get a memo from the powers that be that say it is a just simple grading error, and give it to your CC. If he's good, then he could just hold off on any disenrollment board until the rest of the paperwork cards sort themselves out. It covers him and avoids BS for you, him, and the AF.

Question:

I have a rated position. I may be up for a disenrollment investigation in about 3 weeks. I say may, because it is likely not going to happen since it has to do with a grading error that will likely get changed. However, regs say that change has to be in a certain time period and the error was not discovered until that time preiod almost expired, so I am a little concerned because my school's beurocracy moves slow.

Ok, that doesn't really matter. Fact is, they will probably waive the grade in time. But I want to calm my nerves. If I do get a disenrollment investigation, my commander will reccommend to retain me. However, CAN they take my rated slot? (The grades did not affect my DOG or DOC). The conditionals are in split areas. (2 academic, 1 performance) Nothing like a DUI or drug use or anything insane like that. I'm worried about this more than anything else at the moment.

I'm pretty sure that the regs on disenrollment investigation AFROTCI 36-20XX say that the investigator can only reccommend to Commander AFROTC HQ to retain, disenroll, or retain with probation, and that is the only thing that goes to the Commander's office. But I can't find this anymore. Any help would be appreciated. TIA.

I had a buddy on a PDT last summer who had to switch out of aero eng'g the semester he got his pilot slot. Keep in mind he was in his 4th year and was coming back for a fifth year. That was his third conditional, all were academic I believe, and he still kept his slot.

On another note I have 2 friends at my det, one who had 4 or 5 (def. over 3) conditionals and another who had exactly 3. All were for academics. They were both investigated for disenrollment, lost their scholarships but were retained. The one with 3 actually earned his scholarship back and had even gotten picked up for pilot this year.

You'll be fine.

Guest MegaPieBoy

Hopefully I can help ease some nerves.....At my det, we've had cadets get DUIs(2), arrested for domestic abuse, and sexual fraternization between cadets and cadre. They were all rated, they were all retained and commissioned, and three out of four kept their rated slots. My best guess says your fine. :thumbsup:

Guest Ze Mole
I had a buddy on a PDT last summer who had to switch out of aero eng'g the semester he got his pilot slot. Keep in mind he was in his 4th year and was coming back for a fifth year. That was his third conditional, all were academic I believe, and he still kept his slot.

On another note I have 2 friends at my det, one who had 4 or 5 (def. over 3) conditionals and another who had exactly 3. All were for academics. They were both investigated for disenrollment, lost their scholarships but were retained. The one with 3 actually earned his scholarship back and had even gotten picked up for pilot this year.

You'll be fine.

WTF?! I got my third conditional for a D last semester, teacher gave 2/3s of the class Ds/Fs, my commander put in a favorable recommendation for me, I wrote a strong personal statement, got another statement from my adviser saying I was going to graduate on time and my teacher really screwed our class, have a CGPA of 3.0, and as a result AFPC said "No Rated." I found out the same day my medical from Brooks cleared.

It made no sense to me...

Guest tenguFlyer
WTF?! I got my third conditional for a D last semester, teacher gave 2/3s of the class Ds/Fs, my commander put in a favorable recommendation for me, I wrote a strong personal statement, got another statement from my adviser saying I was going to graduate on time and my teacher really screwed our class, have a CGPA of 3.0, and as a result AFPC said "No Rated." I found out the same day my medical from Brooks cleared.

It made no sense to me...

What were the other 2 conditionals for? Grades? I know having all your conditionals in the same thing is like 30X worse than having them in different areas. In different areas your commander can provide statments you are improving in all areas which helps a lot.

We had a cadet who got a DUI, survived the DI, and then got a rated slot later on. But because he got pilot after he got the DUI he wasn't a good reference for my situation. What most of you guys say helps a lot. Ze Mole's story is a little bit concerning because it happened to him this FY but...

It looks like I will get my grade changed anyway. While it's not 100% the university would have to be filled with huge pricks not to accept my petition with the evidence I have including the proffessor's backing. The registrar already admits it is a good case to win but the college has to approve their reccommendation first. So as long as I graduate in August, it looks like I'm facing no DI.

Guest Ze Mole
What were the other 2 conditionals for? Grades? I know having all your conditionals in the same thing is like 30X worse than having them in different areas. In different areas your commander can provide statments you are improving in all areas which helps a lot.

We had a cadet who got a DUI, survived the DI, and then got a rated slot later on. But because he got pilot after he got the DUI he wasn't a good reference for my situation. What most of you guys say helps a lot. Ze Mole's story is a little bit concerning because it happened to him this FY but...

It looks like I will get my grade changed anyway. While it's not 100% the university would have to be filled with huge pricks not to accept my petition with the evidence I have including the proffessor's backing. The registrar already admits it is a good case to win but the college has to approve their reccommendation first. So as long as I graduate in August, it looks like I'm facing no DI.

All my conditionals were for academics. I got one my sophomore year, another my sr year, and my last one the first semester of my 5th year. It's just really annoying because if I wasn't on scholarship I might still have an opportunity to fly.

The good news though is that I'm now eligible for the GI Bill. The way our NCO explained it to me is that if you're on scholarship during every semester of college, they won't give you a GI Bill. But, if the AF doesn't pay for at least one semester of school, then you ARE eligible. However, they can't pull your scholarship unless you screw up.

The good news though is that I'm now eligible for the GI Bill. The way our NCO explained it to me is that if you're on scholarship during every semester of college, they won't give you a GI Bill. But, if the AF doesn't pay for at least one semester of school, then you ARE eligible. However, they can't pull your scholarship unless you screw up.

Under the new Chapter 33 GI Bill, everyone is eligible, even those who receive scholarship money.

Officers who graduated from service academies or received ROTC scholarships do qualify for Chapter 33 (the new, post-9/11 GI Bill). However, time spent satisfying the ROTC/Service Academy active duty obligation does not count toward the active duty service necessary to qualify for the benefits.

http://www.gibill2008.org/faq.html

-USAFJosh

• 10 months later...
Guest AFROTC CADET

All,

Alright, so I'm not a big fan of publishing my problems but I would really like all your guys' opinion on this matter. It's semi-complicated, so please bare with.

I'm an AS400. During my 200 year, I received the ICLS scholarship. I was majoring in nursing at the time, and was slated to graduate a year late (May 2011, instead of 2010 with my class).

Nursing school comes along my 400 year, and knocks me down to my knees. I fail my classes and get the boot from nursing school. It was that semester, I realized nursing was not my call, and that I desired a regular line-side job. I talked to me Commander, and said I would like to change my major to history.

They submitted a package requesting an FY11 Commissioning slot and change of major. It was denied. Basically, there are no more FY11 slots left. I am now up for dis-enrollment.

Some particular info:

PFA: 81% (obviously not the highest)

FT Ranking: Top-Third

GPA: 2.9 (According to ROTC HQ, I have a 2.5)

-Note: I had a decent GPA (3.0+) up until Nursing school, when I took a hit

Class Ranking: Dont really know, but I know I am a hard working cadet and my Cadre know that.

My Commander is recommending they keep me, and graduate FY12. He is also asking that I do not enlist. However, a big problem is that, I will be a completed cadet for more then a year, which is pretty bad.

Now, I know I screwed up, and should have picked a different major from the start. But I got into nursing school and realized it wasn't for me.

But like I said, I just want to calm my nerves a little. Being an Air Force Officer would mean everything in the world to me. No matter what job I get, I know can perform.

So, what are your opinions? Should I expect the boot? Or should I hope/expect a favorable outcome? & please don't sugar coat it.

Appreciate your time

Edited by AFROTC CADET

Guest Zerohour

Look man if they dont want to retain you, it dosent look good. The 200's going to field training right now have to fight for slots, our cadre already gave 10 the boot (out of 20) due to just PT performance because HQ said that they need to let 10 go and it didn't matter what kind of person they were, the just needed to get the class down to 10. If there are no slots for you as a LT coming on to AD in 2011, then your not going to get approved. "Everyone and their dog is trying to get into the Air force" (quoted by the NCO at our det) because of job security.

Guest AFROTC CADET

Look man if they dont want to retain you, it dosent look good. The 200's going to field training right now have to fight for slots, our cadre already gave 10 the boot (out of 20) due to just PT performance because HQ said that they need to let 10 go and it didn't matter what kind of person they were, the just needed to get the class down to 10. If there are no slots for you as a LT coming on to AD in 2011, then your not going to get approved. "Everyone and their dog is trying to get into the Air force" (quoted by the NCO at our det) because of job security.

appreciate your honesty man. Question: My Commander said that 100% I will not graduate in FY11. Now, what do you think about HQ approving me to commission in FY12?

If I have to compete with the 200's for an EA again, so be it. But do you see HQ doing that?

Tricky situation I know.

Guest Zerohour

appreciate your honesty man. Question: My Commander said that 100% I will not graduate in FY11. Now, what do you think about HQ approving me to commission in FY12?

If I have to compete with the 200's for an EA again, so be it. But do you see HQ doing that?

Tricky situation I know.

I dont know bro, i graduate in 2011 and i didnt even have to compete for a EA last year as a 200, if these 200's are getting the shaft left and right and they commision in 2012, i would think then that 2012 is already full. Like i said, each year the af goes up and down with how many officers they need. It appears they dont need alot right now. If you know any people high up, i would start makin phone calls, get some letters of rec, just a thought.

Guest AFROTC CADET

I dont know bro, i graduate in 2011 and i didnt even have to compete for a EA last year as a 200, if these 200's are getting the shaft left and right and they commision in 2012, i would think then that 2012 is already full. Like i said, each year the af goes up and down with how many officers they need. It appears they dont need alot right now. If you know any people high up, i would start makin phone calls, get some letters of rec, just a thought.

how would a letter of rec help me? I cant just throw it in my dis-enrollment package, can I? I don't even get to write any comments or anything.

how would a letter of rec help me? I cant just throw it in my dis-enrollment package, can I? I don't even get to write any comments or anything.

A letter from This Guy:

20070309-BarackObama.jpg

Or this Guy:

robert-gates21.jpg

Or someone of their caliber would be mighty hard to ignore.

Edited by M2
Sorry, Discus, I had to replace the picture of Gates

Guest AFROTC CADET

alright. so things dont look good.However, I wont give up till they force me out.

now, what about making me enlist?

Guest Zerohour

here is one i heard as a freshman back in 07,

3 cadets are getting disenrolled for grades, all are 300's, 2 of the cadets wait till the AF kicks them out, they dont have to repay anything and dont have to enlist basiclly got a free ride.

the third cadet decides that he will go in and tell them that he knows hes getting disenrolled so he is just going to quit. The AF makes him pay back eveything they had given him. he went in 2 weeks before the other 2 cadets. didnt have to enlist.

From what i hear, they hardly make people enlist but would rather just let them walk at least IMHO.

Guest AFROTC CADET

here is one i heard as a freshman back in 07,

3 cadets are getting disenrolled for grades, all are 300's, 2 of the cadets wait till the AF kicks them out, they dont have to repay anything and dont have to enlist basiclly got a free ride.

the third cadet decides that he will go in and tell them that he knows hes getting disenrolled so he is just going to quit. The AF makes him pay back eveything they had given him. he went in 2 weeks before the other 2 cadets. didnt have to enlist.

From what i hear, they hardly make people enlist but would rather just let them walk at least IMHO.

IMHO?

I cant really give you any foresight on your situation. Ive never heard of anyone in that position before. But as a current 200 I can definitely attest to the fact that EAs are hard to come by. Our APAS told us that AFROTC has about 400-500 more AS 200s than EAs to give out this year. So they're getting rid of anyone who doesnt meet standards just to get down to the right number.

Just throwing this out there, but what about OTS. If they don't have an EA for you and dont make you enlist, I guess that option is there.