Laughlin AFB info

Guest Tokyo

...and a long and boring one it is! About the only thing of interest you will pass will be the set for the original Alamo movie.

Be warned, there are cops along US 90 W...heading back to S.A. one day on the motorcycle I got a bit bored and opened the throttle up somewhat...I was doing well over a ton and passed on a solid line (with a clear view of the road ahead), when the car, a dark Mustang with tinted windows, heading towards me and about a half mile or so in front of me, put on a light show (red and blue) in its front grill. :eek: I thought I was hosed, so I went hard on the brakes and bleed off as much speed as possible, still doing so when we passed each other. I was watching my mirrors expecting a Smokey and The Bandit reversal and he just kept going on his merry little way! :confused: , but I wasn't complaining! However, you may not be so lucky, so be forewarned!

Cheers! M2

Guest HueyPilot

US 90 is the road in and out of Del Rio. It's not too bad until you get to Uvalde...at that point, you're really out in the sticks.

5-0 is bad along the road, especially beyond Uvalde. Brackettville has "Bracketville Bob"...he sits on the side of the road in his cruiser and WILL pull you over for going slightly over the limit. So drive the limit or less there.

Elsewhere, you can probably cheat up to 10 MPH over without being pulled over, but I'd watch it. Whatever you do, don't argue with the cops. A couple of knuckleheads went to Corpus for a long weekend and got their heads bounced off of a cruiser while getting arrested for being intoxicated...they were removed from training, and had to be medically re-evaluated due to the head injury. I don't think either of them got back into training.

Current XL student. These elders speak the truth about Bracketville. I know someone who received a ticket for 43 in a 40 there. I saw the ticket. Maybe they're saving up for a public water system or something. I don't know. It's just one of those crappy-ass towns with no other revenue-generating alternatives. Other points along the route are not great as well, but Bracketville is by far the worst.

Regarding airlines: Delta, Southwest, American, United, and Continental all provide at least limited service out of San Antonio. And even though San Antonio will quickly become the staple for somewhere to go when you want to get out of here, you'll get tired of it, too. I would recommend College Station on a home football game weekend. "I have only yet begun to defile myself" was the quote from the weekend, I believe.

• 2 months later...

Usually any kind of agricultural type place (ie, co-ops....livestock, grain, etc) have scales.... Not sure if that is applicable to where you are at right now though.

As far as scales on-base, I hear that the Outdoor Rec places tend to have scales (they do here at CAFB).

That may help.... If not, then haha

• 3 months later...
Guest newflyer

Just about to leave Moody for phase III at XL and was looking for the general delivery address for the post office. Can anyone help?

Thanks

• 10 months later...
Guest Tokyo

Searched, didn't produce.

Does anyone know (or have buddies that know) if you can trail ride within a couple hours of Del Rio? Looking for a duplex mate as well...

Cheers

If you're already there, my recommendation would be to just drive north up the highway (been so long, I can't remember which one it is) and you're bound to find some good stuff. I never drove an ATV, but me and a couple buddies would mountain bike on the off-road dirt trails. About 45 miles north of Del Rio there was a real nice area that we went rock climbing - I remember it having dirt trails wide enough for cars, but I don't remember how far they went. Baseops.net was there, he may have some info.

There were a lot of good places off of Hwy 90 as you're heading out past Lake Amistad towards Comstock. When I was there in 2001 I would just pull of the hwy, unload and go. No one cares, and there are PLENTY of trails out there. Hell, I took my 4Runner out there on many occasions.

Wright's Steakhouse (2 miles from the border on Hwy 90) was really good last time I was there.

But I think most people don't think of it and go to the other steakhouse, but I can't recall what the name is.

Guest Major High

Cripple Creek is the name of the other steakhouse in town - out on your way to Lake Amistad. It's okay, but it's definitely no Outback. However, there is an awesome BBQ place even further out towards the lake. It's on the left side of the highway (if your driving towards the lake) and it's in a tiny little red building - but it's phenomenal! It is always packed with Border Patrol guys because they know where all the good eats are!

Guest flychick

I second the little red bbq place. That place ROCKS.

You can run in Del Rio, but maybe not during daylight hours in the summer. But there is a running track upstairs in the fitness center. Don't know about taking a stroller on it, but I don't see why not.

Guest goirishgo

My own Del Rio restaurant review....

Cripple Creek is extremely overpriced especially for the quality of food there. You'll leave wondering why you spent so much money on bad food.

The little red shack, Border BBQ, is a pretty good mom and pop joint, but I've been to better mom and pop joints.

TB's Bar and Grill was pretty decent also, lots on the menu to choose from, and a decent hangout. Beware of bad singers on karaoke night.

Subs and Clubs makes all right sandwiches, better than Subway.

Avanti's italian food. Well, if you don't mind waiting for a long time and getting bad service for what I would call average italian food, knock yourself out.

Make sure you check out Super Taco Morales, probably some of the best tacos I've had. There was one special there, it was kind of like a burrito but I forget what they call it. We went there often for lunch or a quick dinner.

Best Mexican food in town, my vote is Memo's. And on most Thursday nights they have a latin jazz band that plays some solid music.

Julio's chips are popular, didn't think the restaurant was anything to write home about, but they use MSG in everything, even their salsa, so I would steer clear.

Jitra Thai restaurant is not bad. Looks kind of like a place you wouldn't want to take your cats or dogs near at first, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Then of course there's Chili's and Applebee's. Now that I don't live there anymore I'll never eat at another Chili's or Applebee's again...

Guest kirkhac

As far as things to do in Del Rio, you can't forget the free beer every couple weeks when a class graduates/tracks. Mexico. The Frio river near Uvalde is also a good time with a couple coolers and some friends. Like everyone has been saying, go in with a good attitude because it is what you make of it. Don't be the guy who isolates himself and never hangs out.

Guest ncguardwife

Del Rio is definitely what you make it. We just left there last September. The temps are high during the summer months, but generally, humidity is low, so it's bearable. The "family" housing is pretty nice (we lived in a 3 BR/2 BA on McKee Street and loved it). The Lake is awesome. Also, there's a really neat little store downtown called The Emporium - it has an old-time ice cream parlor inside and lots of unique gifts and scrapbooking items, as well. We also had a dog while we were there - he LOVED the lake. I would highly recommend The Pet Resort for boarding - Shawn is great (it's located behind and to the left of Julio's - off Hwy. 90). The vet is only on base for 2 days each month and there's no boarding available on base. Shawn charged $10/day. The other town we visited (other than San Antonio) was Eagle Pass - it's not much bigger than Del Rio, but the mall there is better - it's about a 45 min. drive from base, but be careful, I think they may be having gang-related issues there (don't go alone). Also, you should definitely plan a weekend to visit Fredericsburg - it's several hours from Del Rio, but is a really neat bed & breakfast kind of town. Finally, the Nueces River (between Uvalde & San Antonio) is really fun, as well. If you are adventuruos and open to new things, you should enjoy your time in West Texas. We often spent our Saturday's just driving and enjoying the scenery - Big Bend National Park is about 4 hours away, as is Corpus Christi. Also, Schlitterbahn (one of the world's largest water parks) is located in New Braunfels (basically a suburb of San Antonio) if you like water parks...Your husband obviously won't have a lot of free time, but once he gets settled into UPT, you guys should be able to enjoy your Saturday's together (assuming he's flying well, of course). If you want to PM me your email address, I'd be happy to send you the link to my online photo albums from XL. Good Luck!

Guest mghodgson

No one has mentioned the winery...the Val Verde Winery is in a really cute part of Del Rio, and is the oldest continuously running winery in Texas. They give tours (takes only about 15 min) and then you do a wine tasting at the end. It is a great place to take family when they come visit for graduation!

Also keep your ear out for concerts in Acuna...we saw Cross Canadian Ragweed while we were there. Just go with someone who has been there (across the border @ night) before and you'll be fine.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cmstrasser

Hello,

My husband and I lived in Del Rio almost a year ago. I thought I would write a few suggestions that could help curb your boredom.

1, GO TO THE LAKE...and rent the boats....It's the best way to get outside.

2. Try Memo's Restaurant, the steak grande quesadilla....It's good.

3. Go search inside the Kickapoo caverns. It's north of Bracketville. You have to reserve a time with the Ranger. Note: The cave is not paved, has no lights and is not like a crappy tourist attraction. Soldiers from the early 1900's stationed at Bracketville would take their dates there. If you look around, you can see their names on the walls.

Hope this helps!!

• 1 year later...
Guest AceFlyHigh

Hmm...ok

The pamphlet had a lot of FAQ's about privatization. Basically you will sign a lease like if you were off base...and you're bound to that lease similarly as if you were off base. If you have PCS orders...obviously you can break the lease, but there may be more restrictions as far as if you are going on a TDY or deployed or something and want to leave base housing and have your spouse go live with the in-laws etc. With every question in the pamphlet it had a regulatory disclaimor that it depended on the company in charge of the privatization to some degree. Another change with privatization is there will be more of a push to keep base housing full. Here at XL right now there are a lot of empty houses. That's in married housing. I think there are over 40 or so empty on the whole base in the Officer housing. There are a lot of single Officers that want to share duplexes...but the Married housing isn't for them..so they stay vacant. With Privatization the company will be trying to keep the houses full. The pamphlet said that if occupancy goes below 90% then the company can allow civilians to live on base. I imagine they will try to fill them with Military members first, but I'm not sure what this will actually entail. There will still be Officer and Enlisted housing. They will be renovating...but they didn't say that there would be a huge shut down or anything for renovation. They will be trying to renovate as people move and as the company dictates basically. When privatization begins initially people will be given a chance to move off base or if they want to come on base...they will be given that opportunity. Rent will be BAH minus 110% of the average utilities. The first couple of months they will just collect the BAH and start metering the utilities...then they will gather the data...and figure out what 110% of the average utilities bill was and charge that for rent. Renters will have to sign up for utilities like they are off base.

One good thing...if you don't have a fence...supposedly they are going to mow all the common areas...which would be your back yard and your front yard. We'll see if that actually happens or not. Hope that helps a little.

• 7 months later...
Guest thebratpack

OK - so we are in Del Rio at Laughlin and have been here a year.

In respect to housing. Whatever the housing office tells you THERE IS NOT A SHORTAGE of housing on base. To be honest I don't think I have met anyone who waited more then a couple of days to get into living quarters. The only hold up might be the timing of your personal goods.

Now with reguards to base. We came down here with three kids all under the age of 3 (at the time of the move). Base life is what you make it to be. Takes some time to adjust to the big brother concept....but it is OK. We go out every day for runs, walks, playdates, and what not. Every monday there is a playgroup that meets at Su Casa on base from 10-12. From September until it gets hot (mid april) kids gather at the playgrounds in the middle of the housing on the south side of base) around 4:30...not as much activity on the north side of housing. Friday ther is story hour at the library at 1030. The paved walk/bike trails are nice. The hiking trails are awsome (I run them with the three kids frequently). The North side trails are more scenic then the south side. My advice is go outside every day. If you are a walker get out early in the morning in the summer. Most days start out comfortable....but the comfortable burns off by 1030/1100 then it gets hot. It typically gets comfortable again around 2000 (during the summer months). The winters here are nice but windy. I don't agree with the cold statement. It is cold in the morning but almost always nice enough to be outside by mid afternoon. Like I said we have been outside every day unless it is raining. Things to do in Del Rio are few and far. However, if you are a homebody then no big deal. The base does 5K every month but May. These are great gatherings for walkers or runners and strollers are welcomed. The fitness center has a "family fitness room" which we frequent often, you can workout and socialize while your kids play in front of you. I agree that the pool is nice and a good place to meet other moms (they have a canopy over the baby pool). Bowling alley is free for kids 12 and under during lunch 11-1. There is a roller skating rink in town (we did that once but not the cleanest place). The town is like the armpit of Texas. You do adjust to the culture though. Things are done considerably slower here....in all respects. Custmer service is poor, and you need to call back cause they won't. We have done the lake and is you can't beat the boat rental price from November - March. We have made a couple of weekend trips to San Antonio and Austin. We have enjoyed our time here....however, we are looking foward to getting the hell out.

• 3 months later...
Guest King Z

My wife and I are scheduled for Laughlin with a RNLTD of 26FEB09. All of this information has been wonderful, but I am an avid cyclist and I am hoping that there are plenty of road with little/no traffic so I can ride after class on most days of the week. Is this going to be possible?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by King Z