Phoenix and Luke AFB questions

Login Name

We did dice. There were 10 of us and we ranked our top 6 choices and gave them 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1 points respectively. We picked an assignment then went around and rolled two dice. We added that number to the number of points we gave the assignment and everyone had a total number of points for that assignment. The dude with the most had the choice of taking it, passing it up, or keeping a previously won assignment. So, basically it was rolling dice but biasing it a little bit to give you a better chance of your favorite assignment. Doesn't matter much though if everyone wants the same assignments.

Out of the 10 of us, 7 got their first choice. I got my third (Shaw) and two dudes got their #9 and #10 choices. Can't avoid that though when there is a Kun/Eilson and Cannon, which were not too popular. It took all of like 15 min to do the whole thing. We were thinking of everyone chipping in some cash to entice someone to take Cannon and avoid the drama of someone getting slammed with it, but the boss came down and said no money was changing hands, which probably made things a little less complicated for us.

It's about as fair of a deal as you can find, there really is no easy way to keep everyone happy unless you are lucky and the drop matches what everyone wants. Don't count on that though. My advice...try to get a block 50 regardless of location. They're at Shaw, Spang, Misawa and Mountain Home (52's...which may send some dudes to McEntire to have an AD/guard mix). The jet is a beast, it's like night and day compared to the 25's and 42's I flew (granted only a few rides in the 42).

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FAIPMAFIA

It still isn't clear.....does anyone know for sure that AFPC is not letting FAIPS with a 10 yr commit go overseas their first ops tour?

[ 28. January 2006, 20:31: Message edited by: FAIPMAFIA ]

If everyone except for the block 50 guys (and why not them?) go thru both courses, why don't they just incorporate it into the normal syllabus that the other squadrons are teaching instead of making it a top off course?

In the Mud Hen, we start training with the pod from their first A/G sortie. As for NVG's, they fly every night ride with nogs (TR, Int, BSA, SAT, to include NAAR)

Hoser

Guest f16wolf

If you have a 10 year commitment, plan to go where you want. Plan also to do your time on the ROK before your commitment is up. You can always email the F-16 porch (AFPC) to find out or look them up on the internet.

Guest JK73703

Another point I'd like to throw out there regarding the assignment processes is it's completely squadron dependant. In our squadron (the 61st) they handed us a list of assignments on Friday afternoon and told us to have it figured out by Monday morning...no questions asked. Other squadrons had a completely different approach to it. In the 63rd the class SRO was automatically given his/her first choice, and like was mentioned earlier some squadrons don't allow money to be exchanged. It all boils down to your squadron leadership.

I don't know the reason why they don't incorporate the pod into the b-course syllabus. I imagine it's because they simply don't have enough targeting pods for all the jets out here...just a guess though.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest rumblefish_2

Sorry to semi-revive this post, but I gots sumpin...I just got out of RTU a few months ago and we had two AD Capts. Both were not allowed to roll for overseas assignments, but could roll for Korea (if they wanted). Here's the kicker though, one was a Tweet FAIP with an 8-year commitment, but the other was a B-52 nav with a 10-year commitment. We were so confused on the whole bit we just followed what the squadron commander told us. After it was all said and done, we figured out the 10-year guy might've been shorted an overseas tour...

• 11 months later...

Hello,

My husband and I will be moving to Luke in the next 6 months or so and I wondered if anyone could give me any info about the housing near the base? I have heard on base housing can have up to a year-long wait, so we will probably just rent off base. Are there any areas to stay away from? What suburbs are located close to the base? We'd like to stay as close to base as possible, but we'd prefer an area that isn't congested, if possible. Any information would be helpful. Thank you.

A lot of people live in Surprise AZ, If you can, depending on what your DH does, it's a good time to buy a house down there, my friend(her DH is a Comms Officer) bought their brand new house for $175k.(somewhere around there)

If my mind is clear, the reason the house wait list is so long is because they are replacing the housing.

Luke is "nifty" base. It has a "commercial" side(but that side has dorms) and then the "residental" side, where housing, BX, etc. is.

I live about 1.5hrs away, but I have to go to luke for anything..

If you like, I can swamp emails and you and my friend can talk..

she would be the best person to talk, I hate AZ, so you won't hear anything "nice" about AZ from me.

I am currently stationed at Luke...leaving in about 6 months. Want to buy/rent our house?

Not sure if you are officer or enlisted...but the enlisted base housing is pretty nice. Officer housing isn't very nice...although they are building all new housing over the next 3 years. Both times I inquired about base (officer) housing I could have gotten in within a week or two.

There are TONS of houses in the area if you choose to live off base...Glendale, Surprise, Peoria, Avondale, Buckeye...suburbs everywhere! I'd recommend Surprise or Litchfield Park, but they're all pretty much the same.

A little tidbit...if you end up living in a place without a garage, make sure to buy a Club or other anti-theft device. We had our car stolen from our "gated" apartment community withing 3 months of arriving here. It's nice to have moved into a nice neighborhood and have a garage!

If you have any other questions PM me and I can answer or hook you up with my wife's e-mail.

• 1 month later...
Guest Ritalin IV

My folks live in Peoria, which, on the worst day, is not more than 20 min from the gate. Nice digs once you get about 15 miles away and pointed towards Phoenix. Luke is up a ways from I-10, the major artery from Phoenix, so you may want to keep that in mind too. Concur with everything the others have said and even think they are building up the area out by the 303 now. Last time I was out there I was shocked ad all the build up. You should have no problems scoring a house in any range. BTW, my folks bought a place for $98K back in ‘99 and it was appraised last year for over $200K.

-Ritalin

• 6 months later...

Does anyone know what the current base housing situation is at Luke? I know they were rebuilding but I haven't heard if it's complete or not - I'm moving there this January.

Also, which cell phone companies do and don't work out there: on base, off base?

And finally, if the base housing isn't ready, is Litchfield Park a nice area to live or not? Everyone I've talked to says to live in Surprise but Litchfield seems so much closer.

Thanks to everyone in advance. :notworthy:

I'm at Luke now and have been for about 7 months and I don't know a single person that lives on base. From what I have seen there is very little construction in the housing area so don't know if what you heard about is old or has yet to begin. Most of the married people I know (majority of them studs and some of them IPs) live in Surprise. I think one of the big reasons is that all of Surprise is a decent area vs. down by the base (i.e. Glendale/Litchfield/Avondale) have some areas that are older/not as nice/not as safe. Plus it is more difficult to find places that are available and are what you want closer to the base than out in Surprise based on my experience. Surprise isn't necessarily a longer drive either depending on what part of town you live in. But to answer the Litchfield Park question, yes, it is very nice I just think it will be more difficult to find something available that is alsowhat you want in a minimal amount of time. As far as cell phones I haven't heard anybody complain, its the metro Phoenix area so I don't think its possible to find a company that doesn't have service. The ahrn website (www.ahrn.com) was fairly useful in terms of finding a house so you may want to check it out to see what is out there.

• 3 months later...
Guest sweethomeco

My husband and I will be moving to Luke AFB around September (at least, that's what we know for now). Does anyone know what on base housing is like at Luke or how the rental homes are? My husband would like to do a year long tour in Korea after his 9 month training, and I am nervous about living in an unsafe area alone for a year.

I know the tour in Korea might not happen, but I would still like to prepare if it does. If the surrounding neighborhoods are in nice areas with low crime, I would be fine with living off base. However, if it is safer to live on base while he is gone, then I prefer just moving onto base right away. This will potentially be my first time alone (first of many) for a lengthy period of time, and I am a little nervous. Any advice on long deployments or any housing thoughts would be great! Thanks!

Edited by sweethomeco

Don't waste your BAH on base housing ... read up on privatized housing if you don't know what I'm talking about.

Phoenix has been particularly hard hit by the housing meltdown ... which is good for you. Prices skyrocketed a few years ago and are now falling. Still probably not a good time to buy, as they will continue to fall. The good part is the inventory on the market (there's plenty). Most folks trying to sell will lease to have some money coming in. There are also plenty of foreclosures that can be had on the cheap.

Rent did not shoot up with house prices and is still reasonable. There is plenty of inventory on the rental market. Pick an area you want to live in, and there will be plenty of houses available. I live in surprise and there are easily 10% vacant houses with plenty more being built.

My husband and I will be moving to Luke AFB around September (at least, that's what we know for now). Does anyone know what on base housing is like at Luke or how the rental homes are? My husband would like to do a year long tour in Korea after his 9 month training, and I am nervous about living in an unsafe area alone for a year.

I know the tour in Korea might not happen, but I would still like to prepare if it does. If the surrounding neighborhoods are in nice areas with low crime, I would be fine with living off base. However, if it is safer to live on base while he is gone, then I prefer just moving onto base right away. This will potentially be my first time alone (first of many) for a lengthy period of time, and I am a little nervous. Any advice on long deployments or any housing thoughts would be great! Thanks!

You won't be living on base then unless you are enlisted. However, the rental market here is outstanding if you are a renter. TONS of houses at well below BAH, especially if you just want a normal size house. I got a 5 bed 3 bath and pay my water and electric bill for under my BAH.

Technique only, I'd live either right by base, or north of it. The further south of base you go, the higher the crime rate (mainly burglary) is.

Guest sweethomeco

From what I read, it looked like Luke was actually on top of the new housing... guess not. So, renting is the way we'll go. Thanks for the advice. I'm looking around at the Surprise area, and you're right about getting a great house for under BAH. Now, the only problem is waiting until September to leave awful Oklahoma for Arizona!

Weather question...

I have a dog I go running with every morning. Will we have to get up at 4 am to beat the unbearable heat or do you get used to it?

My husband would like to do a year long tour in Korea after his 9 month training, and I am nervous about living in an unsafe area alone for a year.

Someone tell me if I'm wrong but it is my understanding that if he goes to Korea the Air Force will pay to move you to your Home of Record or anywhere else for that matter. So, you shouldn't have to live on your own in Phoenix for a year while he's in Korea if you don't want to.

Guest sweethomeco

Hmm, that is something to keep in mind. However, I will probably stay there regardless since career is very important to me, and I'm hoping to find a good writing or editing job there. Not to mention, the family might not look too kindly on having the animal crew come with me ;)

Weather question...

I have a dog I go running with every morning. Will we have to get up at 4 am to beat the unbearable heat or do you get used to it?

You'd have to ask someone else....I've only been here since Oct.....you know, when it only gets to 100.

They are in the middle of re-doing all the housing here at Luke. Most of the enlisted houses are done, but the officer housing still has a long ways to go. Won't be completed by Sept.

Weather question...

From a college student who lives in Goodyear/Avondale area (ten minutes from Luke in the "unsafe area" ha ha). It does not get too hot until about nine a.m. in the summer months. The hottest times in the days are usually the afternoons around three or four.

Any more questions I might be able to help you with?

Well its all relative. First of all there is plenty of nice housing in the area around Luke. Right now is a good time to buy since Phx hit rock bottom. As far as the heat its different. In the moring it will be under 100 but not cooler then 90 usually. Here is how they gauge temps,

Hot:111+

Warm: 95-110

Everything else isn't bad. It hits the 90's usually in April. If you rent or buy a house make sure it has a pool. Phx is an awesome town and has lots of things to do. Also make sure you don't have to use the 10 to commute or at least very far. The traffic is terrible.

• 5 months later...

I'm wondering if during RTU at Luke I'll have the time/energy to go skydive at Eloy on the weekends? I'm trying to decide if keeping all my gear is worth it or if realistically I won't really jump all that often. If I just end up going once every couple months or so, then I'd rather just sell my stuff and rent when I go. Has anyone here gone to Luke who skydives? Even if you don't skydive, what is/was your impression of time available on weekends? I'm wondering if I'll be slammed (sts) on Sundays w/ studying like UPT Phase II (or worse) and/or be so tired that a drive up to Eloy plus jumping all day just won't happen that often. Thoughts?

EDIT: I suck, thanks for moving this whoever did.

I don't jump, but I can tell you about the schedule. RTU won't be any worse than UPT (with the exception of the 1st 3 weeks). If you had time to do that on the weekends at UPT, you'll be fine here.

Sorry to hijack this thread but I didn't feel like starting up a new thread for one question. Anyone know when the 61st is supposed to start flying block 42s? I'm heading there next month for FTU and was told that the current class is the last to fly the block 25s. Just wondering if anyone else had heard the same or knows first hand. F-16.net says that they will start getting the 63rd block 42s sometime toward the end of the year.

Edited by aviator77

Sorry to hijack this thread but I didn't feel like starting up a new thread for one question. Anyone know when the 61st is supposed to start flying block 42s? I'm heading there next month for FTU and was told that the current class is the last to fly the block 25s. Just wondering if anyone else had heard the same or knows first hand. F-16.net says that they will start getting the 63rd block 42s sometime toward the end of the year.

The 61st is a bunch of fags. OK, not really.....just wanted to say that since they're taking our jets. They won't be getting the 63rd's jets until April or so of next year when the 63rd closes. The 63rd still has another B-course to put through that doesn't even start flying for a couple more months. Sorry to tell you, but you'll still be in the old Blk 25s.