AFRES unsponsored slots

Got it, well it wouldnt hurt talking to units if you can. Im not sure if you are prior service, but the units i have spoken to are all for me trying for the november board they are holding. (Grad date December 10) I havent touched bases with my officer accessions recruiter since taking my AFOQT (no scores yet), but I might see if I can get my way in to whatever board I can. is the 15 units preferred ? Because IIRC the regulation states final year of college (could be wrong, too lazy to look through regs tonight).

This is also relevent to my interests..

Got it, well it wouldnt hurt talking to units if you can. Im not sure if you are prior service, but the units i have spoken to are all for me trying for the november board they are holding. (Grad date December 10) I havent touched bases with my officer accessions recruiter since taking my AFOQT (no scores yet), but I might see if I can get my way in to whatever board I can. is the 15 units preferred ? Because IIRC the regulation states final year of college (could be wrong, too lazy to look through regs tonight

Yes, by the Regs is in the last year, however, this is at commander's discretion. I'm currently enlisted (Reserves). I have contacted some units, mostly fighters. Most fighter units want for you to have your bachelors already completed. Some heavy units will accept your application only if you are on your last semester within your last 15 college credits. Are you talking to any fighter units?

I got picked up a month before graduation. I had a letter from my counselor saying I was on track to graduate by a certain date and it was put in the application and I got accepted. I think the rule is you have to be no more than 6 months away from graduating. I HIGHLY recommend going unsponsored. It allows other units to see your application package and come to you with offers for interviews and, you never know when there will be another board. So get in ASAP.

How long ago did you get picked up? and did you interview with any fighter units?

Yes, by the Regs is in the last year, however, this is at commander's discretion. I'm currently enlisted (Reserves). I have contacted some units, mostly fighters. Most fighter units want for you to have your bachelors already completed. Some heavy units will accept your application only if you are on your last semester within your last 15 college credits. Are you talking to any fighter units?

How long ago did you get picked up? and did you interview with any fighter units?

I have NOT talked to fighter units. Only heavies. Because of my location and my airframe as an avionics guy on heavies, I have grown to like the heavies mission. I like the crew aspect, and the large aircraft really appeal to me. I imagine fighters may be more competitive, hence the degree only preference. The recruiter I most recently spoke with informed me that the reserves haven't been filling the pilot slots they need to be due to being overly selective, and thus there will be many more unsponsored slots throughout this year and next. In fact, he informed me of a guy with 40s pretty much across the board who got an interview on a C-5. The climate for hiring in the reserves seems to be in a lot of our favors. I will note though that the guy with those 40s is current enlisted reserve, which I know helps a bit.

Either way, this is the first time in a while in job searching that I have felt really confident. Only issue is if i bombed my AFOQT and TBAS which apparently are taking 3-4 weeks to score. :(

Edited by DeltaTango

I have NOT talked to fighter units. Only heavies. Because of my location and my airframe as an avionics guy on heavies, I have grown to like the heavies mission. I like the crew aspect, and the large aircraft really appeal to me. I imagine fighters may be more competitive, hence the degree only preference. The recruiter I most recently spoke with informed me that the reserves haven't been filling the pilot slots they need to be due to being overly selective, and thus there will be many more unsponsored slots throughout this year and next. In fact, he informed me of a guy with 40s pretty much across the board who got an interview on a C-5. The climate for hiring in the reserves seems to be in a lot of our favors. I will note though that the guy with those 40s is current enlisted reserve, which I know helps a bit.

Either way, this is the first time in a while in job searching that I have felt really confident. Only issue is if i bombed my AFOQT and TBAS which apparently are taking 3-4 weeks to score. :(

Yea I am aware of the selection criteria of fighters. thats why I am doing everything I can to be very competitive. I am currently with a fighter unit but they will not be holding a board this year. My unit usually holds a board every 2 to 3 years. I currently have a 75 pilot and 62 PSCM which is good enough for heavies but hardly significant when it comes to fighters. I'll be retaking both in Jun. I'm sure ill be in the 90s on the retake. Also by the time time the NOV UFT Board comes around I should be over a 100 hrs in flying time. Do you have your PPL. and the TBAS doesn't take long at all to score, it is the AFOQT which is currently backed up that is taking long to score.

Yea I am aware of the selection criteria of fighters. thats why I am doing everything I can to be very competitive. I am currently with a fighter unit but they will not be holding a board this year. My unit usually holds a board every 2 to 3 years. I currently have a 75 pilot and 62 PSCM which is good enough for heavies but hardly significant when it comes to fighters. I'll be retaking both in Jun. I'm sure ill be in the 90s on the retake. Also by the time time the NOV UFT Board comes around I should be over a 100 hrs in flying time. Do you have your PPL. and the TBAS doesn't take long at all to score, it is the AFOQT which is currently backed up that is taking long to score.

Hopefully your score increases, im hoping I wont have to retake. If I get scores around yours or even better I most likely wont retake in fears of doing worse. We will see what happens. I have my PPL with 64 hours currently. I fly about 4-6 hours a month, so come November time I should have around 100. I am aware of the speed of the TBAS, but due to me taking the AFOQT only 3 days before the TBAS I have to wait for that score first.. Which is lame, but I know the waiting game all too well. Im hoping for good enough scores to get myself in an interview, and hopefully present myself in a way that gives me at least two options for Airframe, but to be honest, il take what I can get!

I need that Oprah meme. YOU GET AN APPLICATION PACKAGE , YOU GET AN APPLICATION PACKAGE, EVERYONE GETS AN APPLICATION PACKAGE!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I went through the unsponsored track and got selected by AFRC in the January 2015 board. I'm currently in OTS at Maxwell. I just did a phone interview with the 305th Rescue Squadron out of Davis-Monthan, and they're going to sponsor me! I'm going to fly the HH-60!

I went through the unsponsored track and got selected by AFRC in the January 2015 board. I'm currently in OTS at Maxwell. I just did a phone interview with the 305th Rescue Squadron out of Davis-Monthan, and they're going to sponsor me! I'm going to fly the HH-60!

Congrats! Did you initially contact them or did they reach out to you?

Can anyone provide me with someone to contact for these unsponsored AFRC boards please?

I contacted my FSS and they have no idea what I'm talking about, and referred me to an active duty recruiter. Is that true? I even sent the FSS the link to this article. http://www.446aw.afrc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123443560, which seems to be a FSS helping the member work through the process.

They also referred me to the Ops group to obtain a UPT slot. I'm waiting to hear back from the Ops group to see if they know who to contact for the unsponsored.

I tried going through a recruiter and, being as though I am still a TR, they pretty much didnt want anything to do with me.

Edit: I made it a little easier to understand, was in a rush a few minutes ago.

Edited by Psymos

Can anyone provide me with someone to contact for these unsponsored AFRC boards please?

I contacted my FSS and they have no idea what I'm talking about, and referred me to an active duty recruiter. Is that true? I even sent the FSS the link to this article. http://www.446aw.afrc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123443560, which seems to be a FSS helping the member work through the process.

They also referred me to the Ops group to obtain a UPT slot. I'm waiting to hear back from the Ops group to see if they know who to contact for the unsponsored.

I tried going through a recruiter and, being as though I am still a TR, they pretty much didnt want anything to do with me.

Edit: I made it a little easier to understand, was in a rush a few minutes ago.

You will need to talk to an officer accessions recruiter that is in your area. You'll talk to them and they will get the ball rolling for you. I am currently in the process as well.

You will need to talk to an officer accessions recruiter that is in your area. You'll talk to them and they will get the ball rolling for you. I am currently in the process as well.

Thank you! I will give them a call.

It just seems kind of backwards to contact an Active Duty recruiter to apply to the AFRC board.

Thanks again!

Thank you! I will give them a call.

It just seems kind of backwards to contact an Active Duty recruiter to apply to the AFRC board.

Thanks again!

If I'm not mistaken, there should be a AFRC Officer Accesions recruiter as well. If you contact the active duty one, they'll just refer you to them.

If I'm not mistaken, there should be a AFRC Officer Accesions recruiter as well. If you contact the active duty one, they'll just refer you to them.

Thanks again. Haha. I called the Active duty recruiter and he is calling me back shortly.

I tried to get in contact with a reserve recruiter via the 1-800 number and get stonewalled by the people there. They tell me I'm already in and they don't deal with current members and to contact my MPF about career changes/progression and UPT Board.

I really think it's my MPF I should be dealing with, but they seem lost. So I'm not really sure what to do at this point? Maybe contact another bases MPF? But I'm sure they won't want to work with someone out of their unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks again. Haha. I called the Active duty recruiter and he is calling me back shortly.

I tried to get in contact with a reserve recruiter via the 1-800 number and get stonewalled by the people there. They tell me I'm already in and they don't deal with current members and to contact my MPF about career changes/progression and UPT Board.

I really think it's my MPF I should be dealing with, but they seem lost. So I'm not really sure what to do at this point? Maybe contact another bases MPF? But I'm sure they won't want to work with someone out of their unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in the same situation as you, I'm active duty as well. There is an AFRC recruiter at your base. Mine is located at the MPF Office. However, he got me in contact with an Accesions recruiter who is at another base. Typically recruiters deal with 3 or 4 bases, not just one. It just depends on your base, but definetly try there. There is no use going to an outside recruiter, they'll just refer you to the on base one because you're already in (Believe me I've tried). It took my a while to get into contact with her but she was the person that I needed to talk to. She is sending me documents that I need to fill out, but she confirmed to me they are indeed sending people unsponsored. She also said there may be a board as early as September and there is one scheduled in November.

I am in the same situation as you, I'm active duty as well. There is an AFRC recruiter at your base. Mine is located at the MPF Office. However, he got me in contact with an Accesions recruiter who is at another base. Typically recruiters deal with 3 or 4 bases, not just one. It just depends on your base, but definetly try there. There is no use going to an outside recruiter, they'll just refer you to the on base one because you're already in (Believe me I've tried). It took my a while to get into contact with her but she was the person that I needed to talk to. She is sending me documents that I need to fill out, but she confirmed to me they are indeed sending people unsponsored. She also said there may be a board as early as September and there is one scheduled in November.

Thanks for the info. I'm actually reserve and that seems to be the issue. If I were active or guard, they would have no problem talking to me, but being as though I'm a reservist the reserve recruiters wont talk to me. I do have a reserve recruiter at my base, so I will give that a try, I found his direct number online, instead of going through the 1-800 number. Hopefully he can help, or point me in the right direction!

Thanks again!

Just a little update, I found my answer. After getting in contact with an "Air Force Reserve Officer Accession recruiter", they sent me all of the afi's/guides on UFT/UPT.

It specifically says "Applicants currently in the Air Force Reserve (officer or enlisted) apply through their home unit’s Career Enhancement Branch or MPF. The Career Enhancement branch is responsible for submitting a candidate’s application to AFRC/A3TB for the UFT selection boards."

So, for current AFRC members, contact your MPF to apply. It looks like my MPF has no idea about this process.

Edited by Psymos

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Question for those of you who are enlisted reservist and have applied to the AFRC board Unsponsored. How do start the process with your MPF. I went to my MPF at my unit and they had no idea of what I was talking about. it is my understanding that you must have your FC1 completed before applying unsponsored. As a reservist how do you get this accomplished?

There's a memo to request the FCI. If you're commissioning as well, whoever is handling your commissioning package can also ask for a draft/template of the memo from the AFRC board folks/scheduler.

• 11 months later...
On August 3, 2016 at 0:43 PM, Vimix22 said:

Along the same lines of getting an FC1 is it up to the member to fund their trip out to Wright-Patterson? Or does the OA/recruiter do that for you? Asking as an unsponsored applicant. 

Great question, I am in the same boat. I got selected as an alternate and should be getting my FC1 soon but fear it will be too late before the November USAFR board and I am currently unsponsored (searching for sponsorship). I would pay out of pocket to go up there and getting it done instead of waiting for my unit. Thanks for the previous guy post who explain how he got it done... Pretty cool...