USAF / USA / USN / USMC Vision

Guest doctidy

• 1 month later...

Hey guys I'm an upcoming AFROTC senior just returning from my FC1 at Wright-Patt. Unfortunately I was told up there that I will be DQ'd from pilot due to "abnormal corneal topography". Regardless of my perfect 20/20 vision, good depth perception scores, and no color vision issues the ophthalmologist told me that my case has no chance for a waiver because my corneas are too thin. I am just trying to find out if this doctor doesn't know what he is talking about and I should pursue a waiver, or if I should look into other rated positions. Thanks guys. 

• 6 months later...

Cornearip - if you're still around this is the link to the ~960 page medical waiver document... good luck. 

https://www.wpafb.af.mil/Portals/60/documents/711/usafsam/USAF-Waiver-Guide-190916.pdf

Check page 424. Since I don't know the specifics of your diagnosis you'll have to read that and potentially do a follow up appointment. I'd bring this a copy of the applicable section of this document with you to a follow up. 

Edited by abmwaldo
Specificity.

• 1 year later...

Not sure what the question is.  Are you asking where it says you must be 20/20 (either with or without correction)?  If so, that's in Table One of the MSD (a recent, although maybe not most current version can be found at https://afspecialwarfare.com/files/MSD May 2020 FINAL 13 MAY 2020.pdf).  Sorry in advance if I'm missing the intent of the question.

7 hours ago, stuckindayton said:

Not sure what the question is.  Are you asking where it says you must be 20/20 (either with or without correction)?  If so, that's in Table One of the MSD (a recent, although maybe not most current version can be found at https://afspecialwarfare.com/files/MSD May 2020 FINAL 13 MAY 2020.pdf).  Sorry in advance if I'm missing the intent of the question.

I guess I should say my question is where does it define what 20/20- is?

It is kind of a convoluted question, but my flight doc and commander have been incessantly beating down the doors to try to figure out a way for me to get to WPAFB. So long story short, they sent me for an eye workup and the optometrist put 20/20- on the exam. And that 20/20- is kinda roadblocking me.

So we are trying but we cant seem to find anywhere in pubs it outlines what 20/20- means. Is it 1 letter wrong? Is it slowly working through the line? is it actually 20/20? Basically it seems to be a very subjective measurement. In the end my flight doc is looking for that verbiage before he goes knocking down more doors on my behalf.

Hopefully that clears it up, sorry my question was kind of vague. 

Technically, for aeromedical purposes, there is no 20/20-.  On the OVT (the machine used for visual acuity in flight medicine) there are ten letters on each line (i.e. 20/20, 20/25, 20/30, etc) and you get credit for the smallest line that you get ALL letters correct.  Having said that, you are correct that in the optometry world we will denote 20/20- when a person misses a letter on the 20/20 line, or 20/20-2 if they miss two letters.  But again, that is not what should be used for a flight physical.  It's only the OVT that counts since it's standardized, versus optometry eye charts that may or may not be.  They may be improperly calibrated whereas an OVT cannot be adjusted and should always be in calibration.  I'm pretty sure this guidance is only found on the Knowledge Exchange, which is CAC protected so I can no longer access it, but I should be able to get it for you if needed.  Is there a reason to believe you shouldn't be correctable to 20/20?  It's very rare for a young healthy eye to be below this level.

1 hour ago, stuckindayton said:

Technically, for aeromedical purposes, there is no 20/20-.  On the OVT (the machine used for visual acuity in flight medicine) there are ten letters on each line (i.e. 20/20, 20/25, 20/30, etc) and you get credit for the smallest line that you get ALL letters correct.  Having said that, you are correct that in the optometry world we will denote 20/20- when a person misses a letter on the 20/20 line, or 20/20-2 if they miss two letters.  But again, that is not what should be used for a flight physical.  It's only the OVT that counts since it's standardized, versus optometry eye charts that may or may not be.  They may be improperly calibrated whereas an OVT cannot be adjusted and should always be in calibration.  I'm pretty sure this guidance is only found on the Knowledge Exchange, which is CAC protected so I can no longer access it, but I should be able to get it for you if needed.  Is there a reason to believe you shouldn't be correctable to 20/20?  It's very rare for a young healthy eye to be below this level.

Copy all that info will pass it along and see if the doc can get in there and find that info. Also I have always been correctable to 20/20.

But definitely thanks for the reply, appreciate you sharing your wealth of knowledge and will let you know if he can't find the details in the KE.