EKG/ECG results and information

Guest Critical Mass

Guest MizzNav

I had the same problem, I had the echo done and they said lots of people encounter this because athletic heart and whatever they are looking for look the same on an EKG. I wouldn't really worry about it too much, they are mostly just covering their own ass.

• 1 month later...

Here's an update.

So after talking to the POC at my guard unit and being told that I wouldn't need a waiver and that the flight surgeon would be signing my IFC1 so it can go to the state and the guard bureau, I got a phone call today informing me that I will indeed need a waiver, and that I'll be going to Brooks to re-do my IFC1 and try to do the MFS as well in the same trip.

Apparently, I have a left-axis deviation of my heart. I'm thinking that this might be why my P-wave was abnormal on the ECG.

According to a "Fundamentals of Aerospace Medicine" book I read, the concern with axis deviations is "whether or not axis deviation is a marker for underlying disease" and "Right axis deviation (RAD) and LAD were reported in 0.07% and ).09% of military aviators"...."Echocardiography to exclude structural disease is reasonable. Graded exercise testing is also a consideration for the older aviator with new onset LAD. In the absence of suspected underlying disease, unrestricted flying without requirement for future reassessment is recommended."

Some background on me...

I don't have any of the underlying diseases which a LAD may be indicative of (emphysema, clogged arteries, heart attack).

I run 12-15 miles a week.

No history of heart problems in my family.

Do I need to worry about this? Have any of the flight docs on this board ever seen this before?

Edited by ATB

• 3 years later...

Revival..

Just had the Flight Med portion of my IFC1 (not sure if that is the correct abbreviation) yesterday. After three consecutive readings the EKG reported an abnormality in all three. The first two indicated a Sinus Brady w/ sinus arrhythmia (HR of 56 and 58 respectively) and the third posted the message " Left anterior fasicular block" (HR ~62). I also had an elevated BP of 146/92 w/ my norm around 134/86. The entirety of the rest of my FC1 went flawlessly Vision/Chest/ X-ray/ Labs/ Hearing/etc... and I am now VERY worried that my 11 year journey to this point will be a bust at this last turn because of my ticker (fast food America/ genetics got me). My question is: how likely is it that the cardiologist which my flt doc said would be reviewing the EKG will have a differing opinion of my diagnosis? I will mention that I did see the electrical delay in three of the twelve leads in the Q-wave looked almost identical to a Greek mu symbol and the QRS was widened. So a follow up question. I return in two weeks, how likely is it that this first test could have been a fluke and I could see a NSR on the next EKG? I have more info from the doc that I can pass along if any docs would be willing to PM me.

Cheers,

DD

edit..i did indeed get the abbreviation wrong.

Edited by Daredevileng1

Guest Champneys05

Revival..

Just had the Flight Med portion of my IFC1A (not sure if that is the correct abbreviation) yesterday. After three consecutive readings the EKG reported an abnormality in all three. The first two indicated a Sinus Brady w/ sinus arrhythmia (HR of 56 and 58 respectively) and the third posted the message " Left anterior fasicular block" (HR ~62). I also had an elevated BP of 146/92 w/ my norm around 134/86. The entirety of the rest of my FC1 went flawlessly Vision/Chest/ X-ray/ Labs/ Hearing/etc... and I am now VERY worried that my 11 year journey to this point will be a bust at this last turn because of my ticker (fast food America/ genetics got me). My question is: how likely is it that the cardiologist which my flt doc said would be reviewing the EKG will have a differing opinion of my diagnosis? I will mention that I did see the electrical delay in three of the twelve leads in the Q-wave looked almost identical to a Greek mu symbol and the QRS was widened. So a follow up question. I return in two weeks, how likely is it that this first test could have been a fluke and I could see a NSR on the next EKG? I have more info from the doc that I can pass along if any docs would be willing to PM me.

Cheers,

DD

Hey there, I just recently had the same thing happen to me, though slighty different. Im not sure the techincal jargon, but I had to get my EKG redone too. I heard those machines are very sensative and may of not been functioning/ hooked up right. Mine came back abnormal as well. I went to a cardiologist in my local area not the afb (because it was 2.5 hours away) and faxed them copies of the new EKG and had it reviewed by the cardiologist here where i live, not at flight med. It was "sinus" normal. Keep in mind the machine at the afb, i have read and been told it is inaccurate some times and made me think i had a heart problem, when i really didnt. Another thing to keep in mind is anxiety, stress, how much is riding on this one visit and how that can affect your heart. Relax take some deep breaths. Again, which i have read on this site also, if push comes to shove and there actually is a problem. 99% of EKG reading are waiverable. Keep in good spirits, i dont think you have anything to worry about!

Edited by Champneys05

Any flight docs in cyberland willing to offer advice on whether or not a hemi fasicular block is something that has been granted a waiver before? Thanks in advance.

DD

I'm not a flight doc, so I can't give you any concrete information. However, fasicular blocks are not something that we typically worry about in the medical field..Most come from improper lead placement, or simply because of the anatomy of your heart. In my years of experience, I haven't ever seen any complications caused by a fasicular block, nor any symptoms associated with it.

Good luck!

• 10 months later...

No one has posted on here in a while but I had a physical a couple years back when I was at school and the EKG came back as having an abnormality and as a result I got sent in for an Echocardiagram (however you spell it) and after I went through that they said I had minor triguspid regurgitation or something like that. Basically an irregular heartbeat however the doctor who interpreted it (a former navy flight surgeon) said I was perfectly healthy and it was benign. I have the letter from the doc saying it was benign (a 5 year old letter), will that pose any problem for me when I go for this physical (if selected to)?

• Like 1

No one has posted on here in a while but I had a physical a couple years back when I was at school and the EKG came back as having an abnormality and as a result I got sent in for an Echocardiagram (however you spell it) and after I went through that they said I had minor triguspid regurgitation or something like that. Basically an irregular heartbeat however the doctor who interpreted it (a former navy flight surgeon) said I was perfectly healthy and it was benign. I have the letter from the doc saying it was benign (a 5 year old letter), will that pose any problem for me when I go for this physical (if selected to)?

You'll need a waiver under "Valvular Heart Disorders – Miscellaneous." See my signature for the link to the waiver guide. If you're as asymptomatic as you say you are, expect another EKG and submission of your cardiology consult and your other EKG's, and that's it. You might need another Cardiology consult, depending on how recent they want it but it seems pretty clear that a waiver should be no problem from my reading of the waiver guide.

• 2 years later...

Pilots,

My husband flew for over 35 years.  First in the TF160, Army, and then for corporate flying fixed wing.

Regarding the EKG, PLEASE do not assume that the flight surgeon NOR the FAA will disclose any information to you or that the information is correct that they provide to you.

My husband died on July 16, 2015 of a heart attack. N0 heart history, no signs, no high bp, no bad hdl or cdl.  The man worked out at the gym, ate well, didn't smoke and looked far younger than his 59 years.  For 17 years, he went to the same flight surgeon.  He thought his EKG's were normal.  He went to the gym the morning he died and made a smoothie.

Upon his heart attack and death, I went looking for answers.  I went to the flight surgeon and requested all 17 years worth of EKG's.  Six of the last ten years were abnormal. They were however on the FAA approved fly list.  Four of the abnormal EKG's repeated themselves four times, and of those four, two years back to back.  I called the flight surgeon to ask him if he ever told my husband and he stated "No, I don't ever recall telling Ed his EKG's were abnormal."

I then requested the records from the FAA.  To my surprise, the FAA had changed the result of the EKG that the flight surgeon had sent without requesting another EKG.  Again, we were not notified nor was the flight surgeon. I then called the FAA in Atlanta, GA to find out why this was policy.  We were told exact quote, "Why would we be obligated to tell you?  A cardiologist would have told you the same thing."

We were never given that opportunity and I can tell you I loved my husband enough that six abnormal EKG's would have resulted in a lot of tests (without the knowledge of the flight surgeon of course) to see what was occurring with his heart as every EKG prior to 2005 was completely normal.  I would have honestly dogged him until we knew he was okay.

I am trying to get this rule changed.  If this has happened to you, please email me at d_schillo@hotmail.com.

I do not believe the flight surgeon nor the FAA have the right to play God with pilots lives.  We all know, as did I, pilots are trained to not disclose any issue with the flight surgeon as it may result in being grounded.  Never in 100 years, did I believe that the flight surgeon and FAA were trained to not disclose information to pilots but I can promise you they are.

Our family died that day too.  I will spend the rest of my life trying to get this rule changed.

Sincerely,

Darya Schillo

• 7 months later...

My FC1 EKG revealed Wolff-Parkinson White or "WPW". It is essentially an extra (accessory) electrical pathway in your heart. I had to get a RFA (radio frequency ablation) catheter ablation procedure (surgeons intentionally scar the extra pathway with a catheter) in order to obtain a waiver for FC1. For anyone that may run into this, I would like to share my timeline for the whole ordeal:

• 30 March 2015 - FC1
  • 15 June 2015 - Learn of WPW
  • 1 Sept 2015 - Ablation procedure
  • 8 January 2016 - All necessary waiver documents acquired: 3 EKG's at 2, 3, and 4 month mark (per Air Force waiver guidelines) submitted with ablation report & tests from before the procedure (holter/treadmill)
  • 15 April 2016 - Waiver recommendation submitted by flight surgeon (would have been sooner but flight surgeon was deployed, tried to go through other AFB, was unable)

Still pending waiver approval, 30-45 days seems to be the standard for most folks. The Air Force waiver guidelines show 6 past FC1 WPW ablation waiver cases with 0 disqualifications so I remain optimistic.

If anyone has more questions about the WPW waiver process please pm me, happy to help.

• 6 years later...

Does anyone know if Moderate Intraventricular Conduction Delay is disqualifying? I recently had an EKG done and the doctor said it was nothing to worry about and that I was likely just born with it, but this was simply a business doctor.