Herniated disc

Guest Flight

I was just told I have a herniated disc in my back that may require surgery. What kind of problems can this create for me in passing my class 1 physical?

Well, I have to get surgery on my L5-S1 disc. They are going to scrape away the part of the disc that is pushing on my nerve.Please tell me how this might affect me passing the class 1 physical. The doctor said I should have no long term problems due to this surgery.

Guest F16PilotMD

This will be a problem for your IFC-1. Get it done and document the details of what was done. Then, you can look into the reg for guidance. Details are critical.

Guest Flight

I had the surgery, and everything went fine. The doc had to remove a fragment of disc that was pushing on my nerve. He told me I will have no restrictions. He said I will live a normal life and should have no problems. I realize that ejection seat aircraft are out of the picture, but I don't see a problem with heavies. Can someone either reply to this or point me in the direction of finding the regs. They have some info on the usmilitary.about site, but they are vague. Thanks...

Guest F16PilotMD

You need AFI48-123. Go to Appendix 7 and read the SPINE section. You may be okay. I depends on exactly what was done.

I've read the regs and all i can infer from them is that disc herniation is grounds for DQ.. Maybe can you tell me what would make it waiverable? If you don't have the time or don't know off the top of your head then don't worry about it. Thanks for your help!!

• 2 months later...
Guest drt773

I am a Loadmaster and have a herniated L5 S1. My neurosurgeon is talking abt doing spinal fusion. If so am I done flying? Also it happened on duty and I have a LOD. If so what is going to happen?

• 3 months later...
Guest aviator6369

Can anyone tell me if its a waste of time to apply for pilot in the Air Force if you had a herniated disc and had a microdiscectomy to fix it? It was an in-out procedure back in 96 with no problems to date. If a waiver is possible, how do I apply? Thanks for any input guys!

Guest aviator6369

So section IV. says no chance for a FCI flight waiver with a microdiscectomy right? I just would like to find at least one air force pilot who has this condition and waiver, but so far no luck. If there's any out there please drop me a line for some hope.

Guest F16PilotMD

I'm not sure I read it that way. Can't really answer your question without more info. Where was your herniated disk? Exactly what were and are your symptoms? Details about the procedure that was done...etc.

Then we can be more specific.

Most things won't be as cut & dry as you think. Details matter and every case is different.

Guest Flight

I had the same procedure as you on my L5-S1. I have been DQ'd with NO chance of a FC1 waiver. I also need a waiver to even commision. Let me know if you have any questions, cause i have been and am still dealing with this situation.

Guest aviator6369

It was a microdiscectomy on my L4-L5 disc. My symptom was pain running down my right back leg from compression of a nerve root from the hernia. Since the surgery I have no pain or limit in mobility.

I've read my operation report and it’s very in-depth with terms beyond my comprehension. My doc is a top rated neurosurgeon from a major university medical center so I'm not sure if this will add creditability with the waiver board. That’s about it; I'm still debating if it’s worth applying after reading the post from Flight member #650 doesn't sound good.

• 1 month later...
Guest gpecar

PILOTED,

I had surgery to remove a Cyst from my L4-L5. I had the same exact symptoms as you. After the surgery I was perfectly fine and have never had any problems. Although it took about 8 months, I DID recieve a waiver from AETC. I got commisioned last month, and am leaving for Brooks tommorow. The only difference that I can guess is that my condition was not an actual herniation. I had a cyst that developed on the side of my disc which pinched my nerve, causing Siatica which is the same symptoms as a herniated disc. Also keep in mind that I was enlisted at the time and didn't have the Non Prior label. So, a waiver for your SYMPTOM is possible, however the actual herniation is what seems to be stopping you.

PILOTED,

If you don't apply you won't be a pilot. I think it is up to you and how bad you want to be a pilot wether it would be a waste of time or not. If you apply the worst they can say is no.

I am not an AF pilot yet but will be going to UPT at Whiting. I had been DQ'd from flying for a back issue (compression deformities/fractures from a genetic disease, no pain or lack of mobility, I didn't even know I had this until they looked at the xrays from my FC1). I had to delay my commissioning three months while I waited for the results of an ETP and it definately wasn't a waste of time.

Best of luck to you, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Guest F16PilotMD

If you had a HNP at L4-5 and a microdiscectomy you are probably out of luck. You will always find someone who will say "no way" and you will always find someone who will say "go for it, you never know". In this case, I doubt you have a chance. Assuming no other info...simple HNP with microdisc....this is probably a waste of time.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a HNP L4-5 and a bulged disk L-5/S-1. I had no surgery. It was resolved through therapy. I comissioned a month ago and am at Pensacola/Whiting for UPT. I'm actually waiting on the docs here to renew my waiver because it expires next week. They even made get new MRIs a few days ago and everything was kosher. Just a matter of getting everything signed off for another 3 years. That's how you'd get a waiver for HNPs, three years at a time. PM me if you want more details.

• 1 month later...
Guest comanche

For those people that don't apply because they think they are going to be medically DQ'ed, or told you won't pass the medical....apply anyways. I just got my IFC-1A even with my back and broken bones, no restrictions!

Go for it the worst they can say is sorry.

Edit: That stupid eye test where you have to tell them what circle pops out......I didn't pass it, they tried and tried, they put glasses on me nothing helped. I had the full work up and the lady at the hospital said that would DQ me, that they wanted everyone to pass the same eye test. Well I guess there wasn't a problem with that either. NEVER TAKE NO. I was polite and the doc was willing to help me out! Be nice to EVERYONE including the techs, Yes Sir, No Sir etc. gets you a long ways in the end!

[ 28. July 2005, 22:13: Message edited by: comanche ]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest aviator6369

In light of the May 31st post, would it help to receive a waiver if I was flying only heavies and non-ejection seat aircraft?

Guest cbire880

The T-37 and T-6 are both ejection seat aircraft. The Navy still flys the T-34 which doesn't have an ejection seat, but they are moving to the T-6 as well.

FWIW, I also have a history of back injury, and I looked into the likelihood of getting a non-ejection seat waiver. They TYPICALLY, from what I read in the waiver guide in the second post, reserve those for rated types who injure their back in an ejection. I would say press and see what happens, like someone said you have a 100% chance of not being selected if you don't apply.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest fighterjets

Hello all. I have I question that falls under this topic that I am looking for some insight into. 1st, a little back ground. I'm a USMC reserve, getting out soon and looking to do afrotc to be a pilot. About 6 months ago I got thrown on my a$s while doing some martial arts training and a couple months ago I noticed some shooting pain down the back of left leg while doing things like putting on my socks. I've been going to the chiro for about a month and a half now and things are much better, almost 100% again. The doc said I probably pulled a muscle back there that is inflamed and irritating the sciatic nerve. He said these muscle pulls typically take a long to heal. He also did x-rays and found what he calls a Schmorl's node on L5 (I'm pretty sure it was L5). From my understanding a Schmorl's node is a verticle herniation. The doc said it is very common to see this and he also said he can't say if this is what was causing the pain because many people have this without any symptoms. The question of course is, will this DQ me from an FCI? Thank you for your input.