Contact lens info

Guest jassayag

Guest Whiplash

I don't know where my contact prescription is, but on my contacts it looks like this...

So I guess -4.25 would be my diopters, so I'm within the limits?

post-5787-1224210391_thumb.jpg

Edited by Whiplash

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest goducks
I don't know where my contact prescription is, but on my contacts it looks like this...

So I guess -4.25 would be my diopters, so I'm within the limits?

Correct, -4.25 is the power of the contact lens. While this would not be used as the qualifying refractive error, it does indicate that you exceed the -3.00 limit by quite a margin. We would anticipate the cyclo refraction to be a little less than your prescription, but not by -1.25. I'm faily certain that refractive surgery would be your only option.

Before you make a decision on PRK or LASIK, make sure that there are no other issues that also could be show stoppers. It would be a bummer to drop a couple grand on your eyes and then find out your hearing isn't up to par.

If you chose to look into refractive surgery, keep in mind that there is a year wait before you can be seen at Brooks and that you need to document your pre-op exams, surgical exams and all follow-up exams. These are required as part of the waiver package. Here's the public CRS (corneal refractive surgery website) for reference. I'm not trying to guide your decision, just give you the facts.

http://airforcemedicine.afms.mil/idc/group...name=CTB_070655

Note that most of this applies to active aircrew, but the waiver guide and policy letters refer to applicants. The powerpoint briefing (link just below the two F-16s) is a nice summary of the policy. Again, mostly active aircrew stuff, but sections are specific to FCI.

• 2 months later...
Guest Toastrider

Quick question about contacts...

My FC1 was approved without needing a vision waiver, although I was right at the borderline (-1.50 in my left eye). A month or so after the physical I started wearing contacts because I was tired of dealing with glasses when I'm flying and doing other activities. Do I need to report this to my cadre or Brooks? I'm probably just paranoid about all this, but I want to make sure I stay good to go. My current understanding is that I will need to be wearing contacts for a period of time anyway before UPT if I want to get on the contact lens program (although they need to be the approved type and I don't think the soft lenses I wear now are on that list..does that matter at my stage in the game?). I'm a May commissionee so I still have quite some time before UPT, if that matters.

I'm a little afraid of my eyes getting worse from wearing contacts all the time now (I used to just wear glasses when I had to)...but if I just have to meet FCII standards before pilot training I don't foresee them dropping to 20/200 in a year or so.

Thanks for any help.

My FC1 was approved without needing a vision waiver, although I was right at the borderline (-1.50 in my left eye). A month or so after the physical I started wearing contacts because I was tired of dealing with glasses when I'm flying and doing other activities. Do I need to report this to my cadre or Brooks? I'm probably just paranoid about all this, but I want to make sure I stay good to go. My current understanding is that I will need to be wearing contacts for a period of time anyway before UPT if I want to get on the contact lens program (although they need to be the approved type and I don't think the soft lenses I wear now are on that list..does that matter at my stage in the game?). I'm a May commissionee so I still have quite some time before UPT, if that matters.

I'm a little afraid of my eyes getting worse from wearing contacts all the time now (I used to just wear glasses when I had to)...but if I just have to meet FCII standards before pilot training I don't foresee them dropping to 20/200 in a year or so.

Thanks for any help.

You shouldn't have to report it, but you could look to them for advice. I've worn Accuvue 2 since highschool, which is an approved brand, so I didn't have any trouble getting on the contact program once I got to UPT. I do know there is a 6 month minimum that you have to wear them before you can get on the program. Hope this helps!

Thanks for any help.

I just got contacts down here at LAFB and the rules for the program are pretty strict. I would get a list of the approved contacts either from Brooks or from some other flight med desk, then have a talk with your eye doc and get some. You should be good to go if you can wear the approved ones for at least six months before you start UPT. Flight med/optometry will be on your list of stops when you inprocess. Make sure you let flight med know that you want to get on the contact program and they'll schedule an appointment with one of the flight docs for you. Between your visits to flight med/optometry (and as long as you're not having any problems with the contacts) you should be golden. Just make sure you let them both know, and they'll take care of the rest. Oh, and wearing contacts for 12 hours a day won't f*ck up your eyes if they're not already terrible.

Guest goducks

Thanks for any help.

Brooks will not care about your contact lenses, but you must have them out for at least 30 days prior to going down there. Other than that, keep all of your contact lens fitting and follow-up documents as you may need to prove that you've been wearing the lenses at least 6 months prior to UPT and that you're wearing an approved lens. Jenkspaz is right on- there are a lot of rules about the program.

Wearing contacts should not cause your eyes to get much worse very quickly, although there's a good chance your Rx will go up over time. I wouldn't worry about meeting any standards at this point. You should be fine.

Random question on the IFC-1 (optometry) - when the doc(s) test your eyes and find your refraction; would it be possible for them to write you a prescription (for glasses/contacts) based on your results? Long story short, I just got some new glasses last night and one of the lense's Rx was slightly off - the place told me I'd have to get my optometrist to re-write another prescription for me in order for them to fix them. And since I'll be taking my IFC-1 before I have the chance to go back to my civilian optometrist - just wondered if I can kill two birds with one stone?

Thanks!

Guest goducks
Random question on the IFC-1 (optometry) - when the doc(s) test your eyes and find your refraction; would it be possible for them to write you a prescription (for glasses/contacts) based on your results? Long story short, I just got some new glasses last night and one of the lense's Rx was slightly off - the place told me I'd have to get my optometrist to re-write another prescription for me in order for them to fix them. And since I'll be taking my IFC-1 before I have the chance to go back to my civilian optometrist - just wondered if I can kill two birds with one stone?

Thanks!

dml02b,

The FCI policy (maybe not an official written policy, but the one that is followed) is that no treatments will be made at Brooks. Writing an Rx is considered treating the refractive condition so it is prohibited. It's not that it would be difficult, but there are medico-legal issues that arise as well as the fact that Brooks can't provide any support if you are not happy with the Rx. Sometimes optical labs get in a pissing contest (to borrow a phrase from my good friend P27) with the optometrist about who is at fault and who is responsible to fix the problem if the glases aren't right. It's in your own best interest to have someone local who can help if there's a problem.

Don't worry if your glasses aren't quite right- it will not have any effect on the outcome of your FCI. A temp pair can be quickly made to be used for the exam if needed.

• 6 months later...
Guest goducks
Right now I am just starting acuvue oasis for astigmatism. Would this type of contact lens be alright for UPT? I'm not starting for about 8 months so I have time.. just want to make sure.

Thanks

It is my understanding that Acuvue Oasis for Astigmatism have been added to the 2009 aircrew contact lens list, however, I don't believe it's been officially released yet. Nevertheless, I think you would be good to go- just keep your exam documentations as they may be needed to enroll in the program. Also, be aware that once you start flying with contacts, you'll be required to use a peroxide based cleaning system (e.g. Clear Care or AOSept).

It is my understanding that Acuvue Oasis for Astigmatism have been added to the 2009 aircrew contact lens list, however, I don't believe it's been officially released yet. Nevertheless, I think you would be good to go- just keep your exam documentations as they may be needed to enroll in the program. Also, be aware that once you start flying with contacts, you'll be required to use a peroxide based cleaning system (e.g. Clear Care or AOSept).

Thanks a lot for the reply! I just had one more question... my Eye Doctor is thinking of trying me on the Focus Dailys Toric for Astigmatism.. I like to use daily's better. Is this on the list if you know? Thanks a lot for the help!

Thanks a lot for the reply! I just had one more question... my Eye Doctor is thinking of trying me on the Focus Dailys Toric for Astigmatism.. I like to use daily's better. Is this on the list if you know? Thanks a lot for the help!

That one's good to go.

• 7 months later...

I already knew that I was slightly nearsighted and had a small degree of astigmastism in only one eye, the other eye is normal needs no correction. While at Brooks I was corrected to 20/20 in that eye no problem (well within limits) and was told that I will need to wear corrective lenses, which was no suprise to me. However, I dont normally wear glasses or contacts. What I want to know and cant get a straight answer on is, could I potentially wear just one contact instead of wearing glasses?

Lets say hypothetically I go and get fitted for a contact lens and start wearing it now. When I show up at OTS or UPT can I get on some kind of contact lens program? Or will I be forced to wear glasses every time I fly. I personally would prefer to wear a contact vs glasses. I have glasses but again I dont use them for my daily life.

I have heard different answers from different A/F personnel but havent heard from someone who REALLY can give me a straight answer on this.

Edited by bottlenose

Guest goducks

I already knew that I was slightly nearsighted and had a small degree of astigmastism in only one eye, the other eye is normal needs no correction. While at Brooks I was corrected to 20/20 in that eye no problem (well within limits) and was told that I will need to wear corrective lenses, which was no suprise to me. However, I dont normally wear glasses or contacts. What I want to know and cant get a straight answer on is, could I potentially wear just one contact instead of wearing glasses?

Lets say hypothetically I go and get fitted for a contact lens and start wearing it now. When I show up at OTS or UPT can I get on some kind of contact lens program? Or will I be forced to wear glasses every time I fly. I personally would prefer to wear a contact vs glasses. I have glasses but again I dont use them for my daily life.

I have heard different answers from different A/F personnel but havent heard from someone who REALLY can give me a straight answer on this.

You can wear one contact lens if that is all that is required. Make sure that the lens and solution you use are on the USAF approved list (attached) and make sure you are fit at least 6 months prior to starting UPT. I don't know what the OTS requirements are- there may not be any.

ACSCL 2010 Solu List.pdf

ACSCL 2010 Policy.pdf

ACSCL 2010 Lens List.pdf

• 2 months later...

ok, so I've been wearing contacts since 1994. Soft lenses the whole time (Surevue, Acuvue 2)...I've work Acuvue 2 disposable lenses since they came out in '99. This past Thurs I had my annual CLP exam, and the optometrist recommended Acuvue Oasys for me due to being a better breathing lense. I wore a trial pair for 2 days when my right eye started freaking out, itchy, scratchy, dry, and then after I took the lenses out and slept overnight crusty and a nice chunk of eye "sleep".

I did some research this weekend and there seem to be lots of folks out there who have had issues with the Oasys and other silicone-based lenses. Is it worth it for me to get a trial pair of the Acuvue Advance, or just stick with the tried and true Acuvue 2?

Guest goducks

ok, so I've been wearing contacts since 1994. Soft lenses the whole time (Surevue, Acuvue 2)...I've work Acuvue 2 disposable lenses since they came out in '99. This past Thurs I had my annual CLP exam, and the optometrist recommended Acuvue Oasys for me due to being a better breathing lense. I wore a trial pair for 2 days when my right eye started freaking out, itchy, scratchy, dry, and then after I took the lenses out and slept overnight crusty and a nice chunk of eye "sleep".

I did some research this weekend and there seem to be lots of folks out there who have had issues with the Oasys and other silicone-based lenses. Is it worth it for me to get a trial pair of the Acuvue Advance, or just stick with the tried and true Acuvue 2?

It's my personal opinion that if you are having no trouble with your current contact lens and there is no evidence of ill effects from the lenses (e.g. blood vessels growing into the cornea- known as corneal neovascularization, recurrent ulcers or infiltrates, corneal edema, discomfort, poor lens handling, etc) then there isn't much benefit to switching lenses.

Contact lens companies develop new lenses to try either solve problems with current lenses or allow for new wear modalities. The Oasys was designed to help folks who suffer discomfort, especially dry eye symptoms, with their current lenses. Other lenses have been developed to allow for 30 days continuous wear (Pure Vision, Night and Day) or to throw away your lenses after a single day's wear. If you don't need these things, then there is no need to switch.

I would say, however, that anytime you sleep in lenses you're asking for trouble at some point. Studies have shown that the incidence of infection goes up tenfold by sleeping in lenses. Granted, newer lenses have really high oxygen permeability, but I'd always recommend taking them out at night if you can.

I don't see any reason why you need to leave the Acuvue 2. It's a good lens.

GD

• 2 months later...

Looking at the 2010 Approved Contact List they have the O2 Optix lenses, but not the Air Optix lenses. Do they consider these to be the same thing? Are they the same thing? The Air Optix contact worked great for me (much better than Acuvue Oasys). I'd like to keep wearing them if I can.

Any help is much appreciated!

• 1 month later...
Guest goducks

Looking at the 2010 Approved Contact List they have the O2 Optix lenses, but not the Air Optix lenses. Do they consider these to be the same thing? Are they the same thing? The Air Optix contact worked great for me (much better than Acuvue Oasys). I'd like to keep wearing them if I can.

Any help is much appreciated!

If you still don't have an answer, here it is.

They are technically not the same lens, however, the new Aircrew Approved Contact Lens list (coming out in January, 2011) is supposed to have the Air Optix. At least, that's the word I got from the folks who are in charge of publishing the list. I'm assuming the Air Optix will replace the O2 Optix which (I think) is being phased out by Ciba.

The list is updated annually and if lenses come out mid-year, there isn't a good way to add them. In years past, sometimes a policy letter would be circulated to address this issue, but the AF is discouraging those.

So you should be good to go.

GD

If you still don't have an answer, here it is.

They are technically not the same lens, however, the new Aircrew Approved Contact Lens list (coming out in January, 2011) is supposed to have the Air Optix. At least, that's the word I got from the folks who are in charge of publishing the list. I'm assuming the Air Optix will replace the O2 Optix which (I think) is being phased out by Ciba.

The list is updated annually and if lenses come out mid-year, there isn't a good way to add them. In years past, sometimes a policy letter would be circulated to address this issue, but the AF is discouraging those.

So you should be good to go.

GD

That is excellent news! Thanks for your help GD! You Rock!

• 9 months later...
Guest decoy

Looking for policy regarding the use of hard or rigid gas permeable contact lenses to correct left eye to 20/20. Left eye is about 20/60 uncorrected and cannot be corrected to 20/20 with glasses. Optometrist and ophthalmologist both tell me that 20/20 should be possible with the use of hard / rigid gas permeable contacts. Is this a possibility for passing FC 1?

Guest goducks

Looking for policy regarding the use of hard or rigid gas permeable contact lenses to correct left eye to 20/20. Left eye is about 20/60 uncorrected and cannot be corrected to 20/20 with glasses. Optometrist and ophthalmologist both tell me that 20/20 should be possible with the use of hard / rigid gas permeable contacts. Is this a possibility for passing FC 1?

No. I'm guessing that you've got some type of corneal degeneration or other corneal irregularity? If it requires RGPs to get you to 20/20, it's not waiverable.

Guest decoy

No. I'm guessing that you've got some type of corneal degeneration or other corneal irregularity? If it requires RGPs to get you to 20/20, it's not waiverable.

Yeah I'm getting a corneal topography to see about keratoconus tomorrow... Let's find out.

Guest decoy

Yeah I'm getting a corneal topography to see about keratoconus tomorrow... Let's find out.

bailbailbail-1.jpg

time to become a doctor