Knee/ACL injury and surgery info

Guest cbire880

Guest ready2fly

P.S. I'm not trying to keep something from the doc or anything..I'm just unclear as to at what point you should go see the flight doc with things vs just taking care of it yourself if it's managable and isn't interfering with the mission. And then if I SHOULD go, what kinds of things to expect. Thanks for your insight!

Go see the doc. You're a good 2+ months from flying, so it really doesn't matter if you're DNIF during that time. I wouldn't think you'd go DNIF for this, but even if you did, it probably wouldn't be for that long. It's better to start solving the problem now than waiting till your 3 days out from your dollar ride and then going to the doc and getting DNIF'd. That would suck; stop the problem before it gets worse.

Guest ready2fly

I start sooner than that. I just tried a new pair of inserts and it felt pretty good. Maybe if these feel good I'll just keep on truckin'..?

Well you said starting in a "few weeks." You mean Phase I of UPT...i.e. the beginning, right? If so, then yes, you have about 2 months till you fly. Either way, see how the inserts work out, but if it's not a lot better in a week or so, I'd still go see the doc. It really sounds like this isn't something that would DNIF you...doesn't sound like any of this would affect your ability to fly...unless it was extremely painful to use the rudder, but that's the only thing I can think of.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ready2fly

I've been feeling pretty good with the inserts, but have been being really active (playing sports, etc) and I think that may be irritating them again (some pain for the first time in awhile). But with the sports, I can't wear the good footwear that was helping improve how they felt. Still torn on what to do.

Go to the doc. They're still bothering you and waiting will probably just make it worse. If you're absolutely worried about going DNIF or getting the screw, then go to a civilian doc and pay out of pocket. That's an option if you're willing to pay for it. But seriously, you're having some knee pain when you play sports, not just sitting there. I highly doubt you will be DNIF'd for something that probably (at least from what I can understand from what you've said) has no effect on your standard, every-day mobility and ability to fly an airplane. And like I said before. it's much better to get a problem fixed at the beginning of Phase II than it is half way through.

• 1 year later...

I am here at ASBC enroute to whiting field for UPT. On the first PFT i noticed pretty bad pain on the right side of my right knee in the middle. Terrible pain when walking up stairs putting pressure on it. I am afraid to mention it to the staff because I do not want to be put on profile, but do not want to further injure this things. Always in great physical shape, but the 8 months after graduation and less than normal pt may have taken a toll on me. Anybody have advice on this type of pain and any treatments or what I might can do to prevent more severe injury without going on profile. THANKS IN ADVANCE

Don't keep running on it. IT band injuries can become pretty serious if you keep exercising on it. The more you run on it, the longer you'll be unable to exercise when you get to the point of being unable to because of the pain. See the doc, go on profile...don't just push this one aside. Plus, it's only ASBC, who cares. They can send you home and then you can come back later (i.e. hopefully you just start UPT and don't ever have to go back). It's not the end of the world, but you could end up seriously injuring yourself if you play I've got a secret.

• 2 years later...

Thread Revival...

I just completed Phase II of UPT and tracked -38s for Phase III. About 1 month prior to Phase II completion, I was out running 5-6 miles and at about mile 4, I got good amount of pain coming from my right knee. Back in 2006, I had an ACL reconstruction on the same knee, and haven't had any problems since the full recovery. Since I was so close to finishing Phase II, I sucked it up and pressed on. It was a little stiff for a week, but besides that, I had no issues flying or walking. The only thing that hurts is running, so I have been avoiding that thus far.

I have been considering telling the flight doc about it, then going to see an ortho doctor to see if I need to get PT or possibly a surgery to fix it, but I really don't want to go DNIF and get pushed back a few classes, and stand the chance of losing the -38 slot. I thought about just sitting on the injury for a few more months to see if it would get better by just getting on the bike or elliptical at the gym, but I'm coming up on the mandatory PFA here in December, and I don't think I'd be able to make the run.

Any advice on this? It seems like I might be forced to talk to someone about it, but as I said, I'm pretty reluctant to go DNIF for a period of time. The ideal situation would be to just get on medical profile so I can avoid the PFA until I graduate, and at that point, I could probably afford to go DNIF for a few months for PT or surgery (hopefully not the latter). Thanks for any input!

• 1 year later...

So I am a 300 in AFROTC and am hoping for a pilot slot. Long story short, I tore my ACL playing basketball last week. Going to need surgery. I will be on medical profile until I am healed, and I will definitely not be healed by time I apply for UPT slot in January...am i allowed to still send in my package while on medical profile, and then deal with the flight physical when it comes around next year sometime? Not a doubt in my mind ill be ready by next year, just am not sure if I can even apply in a few months if I am on medical profile. My COC doesnt know either. The common sense in me says yeah, I will be able to apply and then if I fail physical they will just give my slot to next qualified candidate.

So I am a 300 in AFROTC and am hoping for a pilot slot. Long story short, I tore my ACL playing basketball last week. Going to need surgery. I will be on medical profile until I am healed, and I will definitely not be healed by time I apply for UPT slot in January...am i allowed to still send in my package while on medical profile, and then deal with the flight physical when it comes around next year sometime? Not a doubt in my mind ill be ready by next year, just am not sure if I can even apply in a few months if I am on medical profile. My COC doesnt know either. The common sense in me says yeah, I will be able to apply and then if I fail physical they will just give my slot to next qualified candidate.
Mistake #1.

Talk to him/her and then come back here and talk about it, if you still need to.

Rainman A-10 is absolutely right. This is step #1. Also, to answer your question:
para. 6.2. ... Acute medical problems, injuries, or their appropriate therapy are cause for withholding certification for flying training ...

It all really depends on whether the application requires a medical clearance. I'm not very familiar with Academy processes, but my guess is the surgery hopefully isn't too serious and it won't hold you up (much) as long as you actively rehabilitate and pursue recovery. Here's some criteria:

6.44.25.3.10. Weak Knee. Dislocation of semilunar cartilages or loose foreign bodies within the knee joint; or residual instability of the knee ligaments; or significant atrophy or weakness of the thigh musculature in comparison with the normal side; or limited range of motion or other symptoms of internal derangement; or a condition which would interfere with the performance of flying duties.

6.44.25.3.13. Limitation of motion.

Edited by deaddebate

• 5 years later...

Dear all,

Last year while playing soccer, i twisted my knee and broke my ligament. I was diagnosed with ACL injury. My doctor now has advised me to get arthoscopic surgery and he believes that ill be able to walk, run and play within 6 months (i can still run and i am in complete motion) . I am planning to start my aviation career by 2019 as a commercial pilot from UAE. I am just afraid whether i should go for this surgery or not since my doctor said that they are going to put a tiny piece of titanium inside my knee and this might effect my career as commercial pilot. ACL injury is a very common injury and the only way out of this injury is the arthoscopic surgery. 

What i want to ask is that, is my dream of becoming an airline pilot over? Can i not become a commercial airline pilot because of my injury and this small titanium piece that they are going to put in my knee? What should i do

• 3 years later...

So I think I tore my meniscus recently playing rugby. I can walk and run but it’s the lateral movement and/or rotation that hurts. I have some good flying coming up that I don’t want to miss. Should I just have a doc look at it later? Or is that type of injury not an auto DNIF?

I had the same issues (rotation/lateral mvmt) and finally had the flight doc look at it when it still hurt after nearly a year.   Got an MRI and found that I didn't have an ACL anymore.   Doc didn't DNIF me so long as I was able to egress the airplane and run to a safe distance.    

I finally got the surgery about a year after that (2 yrs after the initial injury) and was back flying in about 2.5 months.  If you can manage the pain for now then you can probably schedule the surgery for whenever is most convenient for you (YMMV).  

Best of luck with recovery.

• Like 2