Majoring in Aero Engineering

Guest Taxcollector

Guest Taxcollector

Hey thanks for the replies awesome thread and awesome posts!

What about this in particular, staraight off embry riddle website:

Aeronautical Science

Aeronautical Science, the professional pilot program at Embry-Riddle, offers the most advanced flight training curriculum of any university in the world. Combining in-flight training with rigorous academic study, Embry-Riddle's aeronautical science degree program, which features extensive work in the most sophisticated planes and simulators anywhere, prepares the graduate for a career as an airline, military, or corporate pilot. Even if you are considering a career as an astronaut, Aeronautical Science at Embry-Riddle is the best place to start.

Any thoughts on embry riddle?

Would this be considered the same was AE or Engineering in particular?

Thanks

Tax

Guest kirkhac

I actually got my degree from Embry Riddle. Aeronautical Science is the flight training program down there. It has nothing to do with Engineering. The classes are very different.

Why does it SAY it would be good... I'm assuming that's what he was saying. I'm not sure what NASA's criteria for astronaut are but I think it's only recommended that you have an engineering, math, etc... degree. However, it is VERY STRONGLY recommended.

Guest kirkhac

I may not have any idea what I'm talking about here but I thought that to be a test pilot you had to have an engineering or similar degree and to be an astronaut you needed to be a test pilot. If you want to be an astronaut, don't worry about what Embry Riddle says would be best for you to do. Look at what degree you need or would help you the most and make your own decisions. Good luck.

• 4 years later...
Guest kingnep117

I want to major in Aerospace engineering but also want to graduate from ROTC with a secured pilot slot under my belt. I heard that the USAF will most likely make you an engineer for them if you take aero. I want to take Aerospace because I like it. I like physics, and I love aviation, and I love the universe. I love to see how things work. What do I love more? Flying.

For me at least, I don't think doing engineering is much harder than other majors especially since the AF will let you pull it out to 5 years since it's a tech major. However, most importantly do what you like. In my case I know that I'd much rather be sitting doing EE homework than writing a poli sci or history paper. Don't get me wrong, engineering is a lot of work but I know I'd rather be doing it than some fuzzy major and my gpa is better off because of it.

Guest kingnep117

For me at least, I don't think doing engineering is much harder than other majors especially since the AF will let you pull it out to 5 years since it's a tech major. However, most importantly do what you like. In my case I know that I'd much rather be sitting doing EE homework than writing a poli sci or history paper. Don't get me wrong, engineering is a lot of work but I know I'd rather be doing it than some fuzzy major and my gpa is better off because of it.

Ya man I hear ya. I mean ive heard its a lot of work...then again im the only one out of 3 kids in my physics class that actually LIKES the class. All everyone does is complain about it.

And by the way. When im reading these guides and documents on how to become a pilot through ROTC, they keep telling me "make sure you have this done by this date" and "this is done in sophomore year". Like, with all this information, will the commanding officer let the class know what must be done if your looking for a pilot slot. For example, if you want to go to ENJJTP, i heard you have to actually write up a request and hand it in to your cadre when you apply for a pilot slot. First of all, do I need to have my flight class 1 medical before or after i apply for pilot slot. Second of all, when do you even apply for a pilot slot? And I for sure dont understand this order of merit stuff this is all so confusing.

And everyone keeps using these abbreviations! I dont know what most of them are. I think PFT is physical fitness testing, and FT is field training. Im a junior in highschool right now.

Then on top of all this I need to some how break it to my mom that I need to get off of my ADD and anxiety medications within a year or I wont be able to go into ROTC at all. I really want to get into the four year program so the cadre will get to know me better. I really gotta step it up in college.

What is the cadre anyways why do they call him that?

Ya man I hear ya. I mean ive heard its a lot of work...then again im the only one out of 3 kids in my physics class that actually LIKES the class. All everyone does is complain about it.

And by the way. When im reading these guides and documents on how to become a pilot through ROTC, they keep telling me "make sure you have this done by this date" and "this is done in sophomore year". Like, with all this information, will the commanding officer let the class know what must be done if your looking for a pilot slot. For example, if you want to go to ENJJTP, i heard you have to actually write up a request and hand it in to your cadre when you apply for a pilot slot. First of all, do I need to have my flight class 1 medical before or after i apply for pilot slot. Second of all, when do you even apply for a pilot slot? And I for sure dont understand this order of merit stuff this is all so confusing.

And everyone keeps using these abbreviations! I dont know what most of them are. I think PFT is physical fitness testing, and FT is field training. Im a junior in highschool right now.

Then on top of all this I need to some how break it to my mom that I need to get off of my ADD and anxiety medications within a year or I wont be able to go into ROTC at all. I really want to get into the four year program so the cadre will get to know me better. I really gotta step it up in college.

What is the cadre anyways why do they call him that?

Easy there, Skip! I think we can all tell that you're excited to go to college and serve in the AF as a pilot and rite on to that. But as a junior in high school you're really too young to seriously think about which major to settle on and you're getting hung up on some details that you really wont need to worry about until your 2nd and 3rd year in the AFROTC program. Rite now you should really focus on keeping your GPA up as well as finding a college you can see yourself having a lot of fun at. Once you find some colleges that you know you will have a great time at, make sure it has an AFROTC program and then sign up once you get accepted to one.

For now just focus on keeping your GPA up and finding a college you would love to go to. Once you know which school you'll be going to, hit up the AFROTC detachment and let them know you really want to be an officer and a pilot and they will help you out from there.

You also need to be honest with your folks about your anxiety meds because you will need to go cold turkey before starting ROTC.

Doing AE won't keep you out of the cockpit. It won't help you get there either.

But. . . if you get an AE degree and don't get a pilot slot you will almost certainly be locked into a 62E job. Most of those suck to some extent but they set you up good to be a blood sucking contractor at Boeing, Lockheed, or the others when your four years is up. One major issue with the 62E career field is that they are constantly turning the tap on/off to try and get manning right. When I got in we had two LTs for every job. This was done because all the Captains and Majors were getting out and they were trying to work the odds to try and fix things down the road (not a good idea since all it did was make the LTs hate life and want to get out that much more). Then the war happened and USAF needed to get numbers in the right careers so they cut half of the 6E2 folks loose and plussed up CE and SF. I'm out of that career now but I suspect that things haven't changed much.

I did Aero Engineering and still got a pilot slot. Do what you think you will enjoy, not what you think will be easier. If you hate your major you wont do as well in it. Also, if you really like engineering and continue on to get a masters in it it opens the door later on to become a test pilot. They require at least a BS in engineering or related and prefer a masters or better in it. Just realize that you will probably be taking 5 years of college to get that BS and doing a lot more work than your poly-sci counterparts for most of it. Also, if you don't get a rated slot, regardless of the rest of your dream sheet, you will get an engineering job almost guaranteed.

I disagree, but maybe you got a lame degree...

Perhaps I should have lead with "I'm an AE and a pilot. . ."

Having a "deeper understanding of what is really going on with [the] aircraft" is nice but overrated. Knowing the physics and science behind it all won't help you in UPT when you're trying to keep from flying out of the MOA or shooting a difficult instrument approach. Beyond the basic vocabulary involved AE is no better preparation for USAF flying than any other engineering or non-engineering degree.