Heart Murmur information

Guest koopster

I had a heart murmur since being very young and I was told that there was a possibilty that it would go away/ shrink as I grew older. For my USAF flight physical, I had to go to Brooks AFB in Texas for some more extensive tests. They took an EKG. I guess there is actually a limit as to how large the murmur / how much blood gets thru that he AF considers OK.

Hoser

[ 11. February 2006, 17:37: Message edited by: Hoser ]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bussman

I was diagnosed w/ a slight systolic heart murmor by a 225 lb cross-eyed female doc from Randolph...cant believe she saw my... well anyway; After $1200 worth of tests from a civilian doc...no murmur. I sent the letter to HQ and they waived. Then when I went to Brooks I brought the letter w/ me just in case they found something. Then I could whip out my waiver. But they found nothing. From what I have heard, sometimes if you're nervous, the doc might hear "abnormalities". But it is true on the degree of the murmor. If its bad, you will not fly...but dont give up w/o the waiver.

I dealt w/ this alot so if you have any questions let me know.

Later

• 2 weeks later...
Guest V1vaLaRob

I have a heart murmur, the doc detected it awhile back and I had all the tests done and he said it was nothing to worry about an that 1 in 100 people have it. I then went for my 3rd class medical and didnt put down that I had a murmur, since my old doc said it wasnt a big deal, but the guy detected it right away and said to have it checked out.

I hope this doesnt come to bight me in the ass, but Im sure if it was serious, they would have said so to begin with. Right? Right?

-Rob

• 8 months later...
Guest salokin

I've searched this, and found some good info...hoping to fill in the gaps with this post.

My situation is pretty general:

Went in for a quick physical for a T-38 incentive flight and as I was leaving the flight doc said, "Did you know you had a heart murmur?" My jaw dropped and I felt like I got punched in the stomach. Just caught me off guard and put a real damper on my flight. Anyway...

I've never had an issue with my heart, ever, and I've been to plenty of hospitals for various injuries. Can heart murmurs develop out of thin air? Last time I really got checked was DODMERB about 1 1/2 years ago and no probs. The flight doc used a stethescope and that was it - very informal. And he seemed a bit "odd." I was also pretty nervous about the exam [b/c Brooks scares the crap out of me, as does anything else medica]. <--- read being nervous can sometimes cause abnormal sounds?

My question is how should I take this? And what should I do about Brooks coming up in Feb? Should I mention it to them, or let them find it [if there really is one] and act surprised? It's not documented, and I already completed my pre-examination report. I don't have the money to get a professional opinion/check-up before Feb. so it seems like my only option is to just let if fly and hope it's nothing.

I'm tryin to relax and forget about it, but that kind of thing doesn't happen every day. Any advice would be appreciated. Wish I could provide details, but I just don't have any.

Thanks in advance for the help.

[ 28. January 2007, 12:39: Message edited by: Toro ]

Murmurs are generally no big deal...sometimes discovering one varies from doc to doc...don't have a "heart attack" over this...when you go to Brooks they'll do an echocardiogram...this will determine if you have any significant issues with your heart. Rest well knowing that more than 98% of DQing defects found on the EKG and echocardiogram are waived.

I've known I have a slight heart murmer since my DODMERB back in high school. That's the only time I've heard anything about it...same thing, "oh by the way, you have a slight heart murmer, no big deal." They didn't say a word at Brooks and I came back cleared to fly 1.5 weeks later, so obviously there were no issues. Don't sweat it, you're fine.

Guest doctidy

1 - I will apologize for the AF Med Service. That probably wasn't the best way to go about telling you.

2 - if he didn't order a bunch of tests, then he probably explained it was an innocent flow murmur (or maybe tried to explain but you had gotten so freaked that you may very well have tuned him out)

3 - if he did order some tests, then you'll know exactly the extent of it and whether it will cause a problem

Hang in there. Let us know if there is anything else we can do.

• 2 months later...
Guest salokin

Thread Revival.

I've been trying to forget about it, but couldn't. Today I went to the university doc who confirmed the mumur. He said he could hear it best in the aortic/mitral valve area. He couldn't tell me a whole lot more without an echo (which he recommended). Costs about $600 w/ student discount (I don't have insurance).

My question is - Is it worth the time/money to get this echo done before Brooks? (I go in late Feb for the full ROTC FC1 and MFS physical)

Would it do any good to have some documentation and another opinion when I show up? Or should I go in blind, let them find it - and apply for a waiver (if necessary) based on the single echo at Brooks?

I understand murmurs are pretty common, and that I'm probably over-reacting, but I'm just trying to make sure I do everything I can to help prevent the DQ. Thanks in advance.

salokin...my advice, save your money!

If you need an echo during you IFC 1/MFS, Brooks will do it (for free). If you have a disqualifying defect you stand about a 99% chance for a waiver!

Pretty good odds...

• 13 years later...
  • 9 months later...