Ear issues (Pain, ringing, tinnitus, tubes, perforations)

Guest Thriller

Rage,

For the FC1 they have to look at your hearing. I've got to take the FC1 and "re-look" at Brooks in August. May06 grad.

My worry is that they will see I've had surgery to correct a perforation and ask for documentation. I've already been cleared by DODMERB and have the green light (AKA PPQ). I feel that if I get there and everything is good...then why would they need paperwork? Now, I can understand that if I get there and something is wrong, then they would want documentation. However, since everything has been cleared by DODMERB, do you think they would want documentation?

The reason why I’d like to know is because it is a pain in the butt to get copies of documentation from my ENT. I just don’t want be charged for copies of my surgery record if DODMERB already has it and has cleared me.

You tracking?

Peace,

THRILLER

PS- AD Docs please feel free to jump in

[ 13. April 2005, 05:51: Message edited by: Thriller ]

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JeffreyAC

Hello,

Sorry if this question mimics info available elsewhere on the forum - I read through and found partial answers, but wanted to clarify...

I've been struggling with hearing tests for a few years now, and I suspect this is due to tinnitus I associate with 11 years of exposure to jet noise. I'm going back tomorrow for my 2nd try at the hearing test for my annual physical (failed the hearing today) and I don't anticipate passing. My baseline hasn't been reset since my initial physical (>10 years ago) so I'm not extremely worried, as I suspect they'll just reset my baseline, but I did have a couple of questions...

I noticed on a few websites that there is, evidently, medication available to treat tinnitus. I'm skeptical anyway (as I've never heard of this before) but wondered if anyone has tried meds for this sort of thing, or if flight docs out there would care to offer an opinion?

Secondly, is the tinnitus itself a cause for loss of flying status - assuming, of course, that I still can meet at least a waiverable level of hearing sensitivity? I very rarely have any trouble with hearing in day-to-day life (normal conversation, flying, etc) as the loss is all in the high frequencies - so I certainly don't feel it affects my flying. I figure most of us here fly loud airplanes - I can't be the only guy out there whose ears ring a little... Anyone care to offer up experiences?

Guest F16PilotMD

You will probably get an audiology eval after "failing" the second 14-hour noise-free test. Typically not a big deal. Depending on your location, sometimes they just send your file. It has to be determined what has caused your hearing loss. Typical patterns of high-freq loss due to exposure are very, very common among the older pilot population. After all of that, you will get a new baseline. If your hearing is bad enough, you will need a waiver. Again, usually not too tough.

• 3 months later...
Guest doctidy

Its cosmetic surgery. As long as a surgery doesn't affect your ability to function...no problem.

So...as long as you can wear a helmet, headset, gas mask, etc...good to go.

Doc T

Thanks for the quick reply, Doc! I don't believe it's being considered cosmetic (well that's what I've been told, anyways). The reason they're trying to push it through quickly is because I'm a controller and right now the headset doesn't stay on right, and it's caused some problems. The reason for the surgery shouldn't make a difference though, right?

Guest doctidy

It shouldn't. But if you already are a controller, why don't you ask your squadron flight doc? All we know about you is 5 lines on a forum...he/she is your doc and hopefully someone you trust.

Best regards

Well, Im supposed to Cat this year, however I learned the other day that I still have tubes in my ears from when I was younger. Ive been told this will cause a problem with my flight physical. Does anyone know if there will be any problems for categorizing a year late in ROTC? I'll be having them removed at the end of this year, but definetly not in time to pass the FC1. Thanks in advance.

Guest Dirt Beater

You can always try and ask for a later FC1/MFS date. I didn't have my FC1/MFS until December of my senior year. Good luck.

Guest Thriller

You can not enter the Air Force (even to be a cook) with a perforation. I had the same problem only my tubes were out. My eardrum just never closed the hole.

So, I had to go and get a Tympanoplasty (basically where they place a skin graft over the eardrum perforation).

I had the surgery over a year ago.

Here is the reg on Perferation (off the top of my head)

- A perforation is disqualifying unless...

1. It is closed and healed by surgery (or closes on it's own)

2. The surgery is done 120 days before the physical (DODMERB, FC1, MFS, etc.)

3. There is a hearing loss of up to no more than a 15-decibel difference between the two ears (in all ranges).

Hope that helped

Peace,

THRILLER

BTW...I'm taking it that you have already passed the DODMERB? If so, consider yourself extremely lucky that a Doc didn't notice the tubes

[ 27. August 2005, 13:27: Message edited by: Thriller ]

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have a problem with my ears clogging up every so often, and want to know if this is going to affect my flying career in the AF.

I have never had problems with my ears as a kid, and I keep my ears clean. First year or so into college my ears were bothering me (felt like it was constantly clogged up in one ear after sleeping), and saw a doctor. They looked in, said they couldn't see anything, so they rinsed the hell out of it, and was good as new. At the time they said it was probably because of working at a dusty workplace (FedEx).

Two years later I go for my physical after getting a nav slot, and I borderline fail the hearing test. They take a look, and my ears are all clogged up again. So they do the rinsing again, I pass the test no problem, and they just tell me some people are more prone to this than others.

Here it is about 2 years later, and my ears are starting to bother me again (feels like my ears are clogged up when I valsalva). I don't notice much hearing loss, but I go in for a checkup in a few weeks, so I will mention it then, and I wouldn't be suprised if they need to be cleaned out again.

While the doctors I've seen dont seem to think it's a big deal, if this becomes a recurring problem, is the Air Force going to fuss about it or are they just going to keep doing the warm water and alcohol mix every few years? Any help would be appreciated.

Guest doctidy

Why don't you stop at a local pharmacy and get some one of the ear wax remover systems on the shelf. Follow the directions and your ears will stay clean. However, if they don't...guess you'll have to have one of the technicians roto-root your ears once every two years.

Guest Navtastic

My ex-husband had the same problem. Rage gave you the same advice that the ex got from the flight docs. That stuff works every time.

If it's not an earwax problem, I recently learned that PE tubes don't require a waiver. I had recurring ear problems for about six months, and PE tubes were the ear doc's solution. It's a minor outpatient surgery, and I couldn't be happier now that I've got them in.

Good luck!

• 3 months later...

In the last year or so I have had an odd feeling in my right ear. Fullness, pressure, and very slightly reduced hearing are my symptoms. It's only been painful once, on a flight to Jamaica back in November 05, and it was serious pain. Sinse then I have flown both in commericial aircraft and light aircraft with no pain. I will be seeing an ENT DR soon, but had a few questions.

Has anyone else had these symptoms and become a pilot?

I have read in another thread that PE tubes do not require a waiver. Can I get confirmation of this?

The FAA has a physiology program which will bring you through a chamber ride. I am considering doing this before submitting my OTS app to be sure I won't wash out because of this. has anyone gone through this program or have any other advice?

http://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/airman_...ology/index.cfm

thanks

[ 20. September 2006, 10:46: Message edited by: Fuse ]

Does it get worse after a shower/swimming?

Could be something as simple as earwax build up...see what your doc says then the waiver questions can be better addressed.

Guest dpiddycanfly

it may be that your ear drum is actually pressed against your eustachian tube. I had the same problem. It felt like an earwax buildup. My doctor prescribed squirting Afrin up each nostril two times a day for five days to shrink the tissue and relieve the pressure. It went away a couple of days later, but I haven't flown since so I don't know that it completely cured it.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Navtastic
Originally posted by Fuse:

Has anyone else had these symptoms and become a pilot?

Had the same prob, and I am a nav.

Originally posted by Fuse:

I have read in another thread that PE tubes do not require a waiver. Can I get confirmation of this?

I was the poster stating that you didn't need a waiver for PE tubes. This was the word I got from my AF flight doc, which was the word he got from the flight docs at HQ.

• 2 months later...

My class recently went through Aerospace Physiology. During the chamber ride, I had no issues on the ascent and descent to do the hypoxia demo, but upon final descent back to "ground level" I was having trouble equalizing my right ear. It became a bit painful but I did not say anything because 1)I could hear the ear equalizing slowly and 2)I didn't want to have to repeat the ride. After the chamber, my ear hurt for approx 10 minutes at which time it finally equalized. For the past week, I have had no pain whatsoever, but a slight muting of the sound in my right ear (not all the time) that I cannot seem to shake...sounds like it would if I were to have water stuck in there after swimming. At this point, a week later, it is minimal but still not completely gone. Is this something to be concerned about? I would prefer not to have to report it if this is something that will go away.

*This is the first time I have experienced this problem

Guest sickels101

I don't know if that is a problem or not. But I am pretty sure it will go away however that is not what I want to comment on.

As a pilot, you should be smarter than that. Who cares if you have to do the chamber again. That's what it is and you are there for: For you to learn to clear your ears so you don't bust a drum when you are really flying. What do you think you would do in real life? I would level off clear my ear (or grab my Afrin) and then continue down afterwards. No harm no foul and trust me, plenty of pilots have done that and its no big deal. It happens.

Guest awfltdoc

Runr6730, the slow ear equalization would suggest to me some eustatian tube dysfunction in the affected ear. This could be due to infections (viral or bacterial), allergies, or any other reason for the oropharyngeal-nasal mucosal inflammation. Basically, just big words for stop by the flight doc's and let him/her look at you. It is certainly not likely a big deal. I see this all the time.

You could expect to have duties not to include flying/alt. chamber for a few days to a week for an infectious cause to resolve, however sounds like your in Phase I and have already completed the chamber ride so this shouldn't be an issue.

If this is due to allergies or other causes of inflammation other than infection, then you would likely be placed on a topical nasal steroid and/or a non-sedating antihistamine. These meds require a three day ground trial. If effective and no side effects then you can be approved to fly while using the meds.

BTW, not getting this looked at and risking getting a severe ear block in Phase II or III could delay your recovery (being DNIF) 4-6 weeks. This will definately put a damper on your training.

[ 22. December 2006, 06:53: Message edited by: awfltdoc ]