U-2 Dragonlady info

Guest thebronze

On 2/6/2023 at 10:35 PM, ClearedHot said:

Reports this afternoon saying we flew the U-2 alongside the Balloon last week.  Huggy, ever done anything like that...onboard sensors or handheld camera (if you can say).

Huggy has definitely collected balloon intel with a handheld camera; I know, because he just shared some of his “recently unclassified” pics. Although, I think it was before he started flying the Deuce.

C6737149-1438-46E5-9DC9-97D35EFCC9DE.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 2/21/2013 at 6:55 PM, HuggyU2 said:

The Air & Space article was good. But hearing the actual story from those involved in it is really something. Originally, Oprah wanted to do a segment on it (that was shot down).

The full story is worthy (by Hollywood standards) of a made-for-TV movie. As hokie as that sounds,... and as much as I hope that is never done,... a lot of people, including those of the host nation military and medical community, worked hard to keep him alive.

Were you there, Spoo? I remember that Smoke and Fidel, and maybe Sharkey were, but can't remember who else.

Apparently, in the course of "the situation" some local base leadership stormed into Ops to get "the brief", and wanted to know who was in charge. They were not happy to find that Captains were running the show,... and they were further put out when no one had time to deal with them. For the record, those Captains ran things perfectly.

It's a sad shame that Kevin and Lt Col Russell were never recognized in a more formal manner for their efforts.

I hope Kevin writes a book about it.

Follow up on a post I made 10 years ago... about an event that took place 17 years ago.  

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/air-space-magazine/killer-at-70000-feet-117615369/

Dave Russell was instrumental in this event while he was the U-2 squadron commander.  

Dave was laid to rest a couple hours ago.  He died much too young following a 4-year fight with Multiple Myeloma... a plasma cell cancer.  

Dave owned HighFlyer Arms, a specialty gun store in Warrenton Virginia, and I believe the family will keep the store going.    https://www.highflyerarms.com/

To Super Dave...

• Like 12

8 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

Sure looks like a, "...mistake due to force majeure" for China. A big, fat, pre-planned, nevermind...what's the saying deny, deny...(waiting for counter accusation from China)

Russia got theirs in, Ukraine is somehow America's fault I read somewhere recently from Russian Press. 

10 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

Thanks Huggy,

I want to point out the obvious here for those ten-percent who didn't catch the skill level here.  Not only did he maneuver to place the balloon and accoutrement in the frame, the shadow of the aircraft is on the side of the balloon as well.   Best selfie indeed!

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Today, the first and oldest flying squadron in North America turns 110. 

Happy birthday to the 1st Reconnaissance Squadron.

Hail Dragons.

Note:  3 years later, the 1st become the first squadron to employ aircraft in a military operation. 

https://firstaerosquadron.com/articles/the-1st-aero-squadron-a-history/?amp=1 

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 3

8 hours ago, brabus said:

Live in/near Palmdale and max out at 2nd-3rd year airline pay...hmmm, sounds like a great deal (/s). Though I'm sure the actual job could be cool.

$300k is not 2-3 year airline pay. Tehachapi isn’t bad. Not everyone wants to work at the airlines. 

20 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

UPS year 2-3 FO pay is $199.

Your information is dated, and hourly pay is hardly the definition of final annual income in the airlines.  Soft pay can be hugely important.  Year two is currently 205 an hour, increasing into the 213 range in September, and on up annually until 2025.  That's all before soft pay.  Year 2 and 3 guys already routinely average around 250-300 (ignoring the 12% DC) without even BFMing the contract rules too aggressively.  It's significant.

I'd be curious to see the benefits of this U-2 contractor gig.

Edited by FourFans130

On 3/10/2023 at 6:27 PM, Polar Bear said:

$300k is not 2-3 year airline pay. Tehachapi isn’t bad. Not everyone wants to work at the airlines. 

Below is a dude hired today in 3 years from now at DAL…A320 FO, working ALV with almost zero contract games to increase pay, didn’t even factor in profit sharing. Bottom line, these are conservative numbers. I personally consider the DC income (it is your $, just you’re forced to be “responsible” and invest it). So yeah, north of $300k without even trying hard. 

BF10DEFD-94B3-44E4-83BC-191D7D83FF1D.jpeg.eada001dd98b9460b8ca2fdb3aa038b5.jpeg

4 hours ago, FourFans130 said:

I'd be curious to see the benefits of this U-2 contractor gig.

Main benefit is flying the U-2.

Can we set a Baseops standard or something when the airline types feel the need to go into the airline pitch about how much money it is, QOL, etc you can just brief that as “standard”? We got it and are all jealous.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Danger41 said:

Main benefit is flying the U-2.

Can we set a Baseops standard or something when the airline types feel the need to go into the airline pitch about how much money it is, QOL, etc you can just brief that as “standard”? We got it and are all jealous.

Frankly: No

I was actively blinded by either arrogant or ignorant air force leadership while I was on active duty about how 'not so awesome' airline life is.  I will actively share all the benefits and drawbacks as honestly as I ever can, especially with those still in active service to ensure they can make a decision with full knowledge, as I was not able to for so long.  

Hence me asking: what are the additional benefits of this U-2 job.  Flying the U-2 is great, if you're single, still 25, have no kids to plan for, or don't mind leaving your family in a relatively unappetizing location to live while you continue to hang onto the dream of being the next Chuck Yeager. 

Make no mistake: We need those men.  Those men are the reason the US keeps such an amazing technological edge.  But those men also also deserve to understand the opportunity costs they are incurring.  Retirement comes for us all. The QOL and retirement benefits of the 121 world are amazing.  Is test pilot world really worth it to be 55, thrice divorced, no longer able to hold an FAA medical because of a body that's been broken by hard service, and hardly any pension or retirement to speak of?  I'm curious what the contractor world of text pilots offers in return for a life spent so close to the high desert airfields and not much else.

Edited by FourFans130
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, FourFans130 said:

Frankly: No

I was actively blinded by either arrogant or ignorant air force leadership while I was on active duty about how 'not so awesome' airline life is.  I will actively share all the benefits and drawbacks as honestly as I ever can, especially with those still in active service to ensure they can make a decision with full knowledge, as I was not able to for so long.  

Hence me asking: what are the additional benefits of this U-2 job.  Flying the U-2 is great, if you're single, still 25, have no kids to plan for, or don't mind leaving your family in a relatively unappetizing location to live while you continue to hang onto the dream of being the next Chuck Yeager. 

Make no mistake: We need those men.  Those men are the reason the US keeps such an amazing technological edge.  But those men also also deserve to understand the opportunity costs they are incurring.  Retirement comes for us all. The QOL and retirement benefits of the 121 world are amazing.  Is test pilot world really worth it to be 55, thrice divorced, no longer able to hold an FAA medical because of a body that's been broken by hard service, and hardly any pension or retirement to speak of?  I'm curious what the contractor world of text pilots offers in return for a life spent so close to the high desert airfields and not much else.

I know guys who flew airlines or cargo and hated it, even though they made a shit ton of money. They are now flying in other careers and are happier than ever. 

To each their own. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

@Bigred Valid, but I think that group is also significantly in the minority. 

My opinion is they will have to pay at the top end of the spectrum they’re offering to get and keep a guy for more than a couple years (but they probably won’t and will start a guy at sub $200k). I acknowledge I also despise CA and you couldn’t pay me a ten million dollar salary to live there. To each their own as you said, but like 4 fans, I am all about presenting valid info regarding airlines any chance I get because I too was led astray for years by mil pilots who had no fucking clue what they were talking about. 

3 hours ago, brabus said:

@Bigred Valid, but I think that group is also significantly in the minority. 

My opinion is they will have to pay at the top end of the spectrum they’re offering to get and keep a guy for more than a couple years (but they probably won’t and will start a guy at sub $200k). I acknowledge I also despise CA and you couldn’t pay me a ten million dollar salary to live there. To each their own as you said, but like 4 fans, I am all about presenting valid info regarding airlines any chance I get because I too was led astray for years by mil pilots who had no fucking clue what they were talking about. 

Is it a minority? Perhaps. It just irks me that the common subtext on this board is that flying for the airlines post-military is the only viable, worthwhile option. The truth is a really good, comfortable living can be made in flying positions outside of airline/cargo flying. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bigred said:

flying for the airlines post-military is the only viable, worthwhile option

I don’t think that at all. But I do think the airlines is a very good post-mil flying career that is widely misunderstood by many who also are the ones giving “career advice” to their subordinates and peers. That’s the main reason for openly discussing it in these boards, in hopes of increasing the amount of valid data available for people to make informed decisions. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Story time...

One drill weekend circa 2014/2015, half the squadron is piled on a bus headed to some off-base training.  I was a still in my first year at DAL and I didn't really talk much airline talk in the squadron unless asked.  On the bus ride out, someone asks me something about DAL, so I answered.  Suddenly, two of our full timers (so self pro-claimed, "never airline" types...) come unglued and bitch me out for talking airline talk.  Until I saw their reaction to my laugh, I thought they were joking because I was simply answering a question.  They were legit pissed and kept yelling...at which point I told them how, when, where and why they could go fuck themselves.  The closest I've ever come to throwing a punch at work actually.  I was a prior-e with one of them, so it threw me off guard.  Anywho, fast forward a few years and those two fuckheads are flying for the airlines.   I'm sitting in a briefing room, prepping for a sortie and I hear them chattering around the corner about airlines.  I peak my ugly mug around the corner with a smug ass look and ask them to keep the airline chatter down, I'm trying to prep tactical shit here.  :thefinger:

It's certainly not for everyone, but Brabus is right, for many years of our careers we've been conditioned against airlines.  I guess that's why it's referenced so much now.  Don't worry, it will stop in the next down turn...

Break Break

Some people need their work to give them a sense of purpose and a feeling doing something meaningful, which is great.  This U-2 gig seems like a great deal for someone like that. Then there are people like me who do the airlines because it's the best money I can make, in the least amount of time away from home.  I've got way too many things I want to do outside of work...no purpose needed for me.  Not many places are going to be ok with me dropping my schedule and not showing up for the month lol.  I'd rather spend my time traveling with the frau, volunteering at the local aviation museum and flying my own planes.  

Neither is right...someone will be happy with this U-2 gig for sure.  

Edited by SocialD
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Bigred said:

Is it a minority? Perhaps. It just irks me that the common subtext on this board is that flying for the airlines post-military is the only viable, worthwhile option. The truth is a really good, comfortable living can be made in flying positions outside of airline/cargo flying. 

What other flying gigs would you recommend? Airlines seem boring compared to what I do now.