U-2 Dragonlady info

Guest thebronze

Call Maj Bartholomew at Beale: DSN 368.4447. He might have some info.

We hired a few 11F's over the last 18 months, and with the "fighter pilot shortage", that community is off limits. In the past, I've seen it die off after a few months,... but this is significantly more "robust".

Bombers: it started about 4 years ago when we tried to hire an Elsworth B-1 pilot, and got shut down. It got flag officer attention. Then we had a B-52 guy turned down by AFPC. Again, up the chain of command.

I've been out of the Recruiting side of the house the last 2 years, and am not current on the latest... but that's some history for you.

FAQs:

I didn't fly the T-38 in UPT. Can I still come fly the U-2?

Absolutely! 75% of the U-2 pilot cadre did not fly the T-38 during UPT.

I am or was a T-38 Instructor Pilot. Will I maintain or re-qualify as an IP?

Depending on the needs of the 99 RS, you will almost undoubtedly serve as a T-38 Instructor. Several of our prior T-38 IP's and FAIPs served as instructors while waiting for their U-2 class start date.

Call Maj Bartholomew at Beale: DSN 368.4447. He might have some info.

We hired a few 11F's over the last 18 months, and with the "fighter pilot shortage", that community is off limits. In the past, I've seen it die off after a few months,... but this is significantly more "robust".

Bombers: it started about 4 years ago when we tried to hire an Elsworth B-1 pilot, and got shut down. It got flag officer attention. Then we had a B-52 guy turned down by AFPC. Again, up the chain of command.

I've been out of the Recruiting side of the house the last 2 years, and am not current on the latest... but that's some history for you.

This sucks. Especially since they have no problem taking BUFF guys for RPA's. Thanks for the info.

Edited by aeroplanez

so how do you get guys who have flown T-38s (is that still a requirement?),

Just to reiterate what runnerdm6 posted: NO T-38 experience required.

This has been an "urban legend" and has caused a number of pilots not to apply.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm probably getting too much into the weeds here, but even 11B/F dudes in white jet tours that currently have an 11K DAFSC can't apply? I'm just trying to think of ways around AFPC's trick fu*kery.

Here's AFPC's next move --- "until further notice,11B/F pilots cannot apply for the U-2 or B-2 programs."

g2s,

Yes, that is what AFPC is saying: If you are 11B or 11F, we cannot interview you.

That said...

... I've been around here long enough to know that this will change. Maybe in a month, maybe in six.

But it will change.

Nothing says you cannot apply.

Maybe you will get your Wing CC's recommendation letter,... maybe not.

But with or without it, you can still apply.

Edited by Huggyu2

• 1 month later...

It looks like I will be at or near the hour requirement by the end of my current assignment. I really want to fly the U-2, but the timing might not work out. If it doesn't, I've been thinking of trying for an MC-12, then applying to the U-2 later.

So here's my question: would it come off as kind of douchey to try for an MC-12, if my intent is to get a foot in the ISR door for a better shot at the Deuce? Are there other complications that this approach would introduce? Thanks for any advice.

Others have done the MC-12 thing to better align for the U-2. I cannot think of any reason anyone would object to that.

The MC-12 is moving toward "normalization". Beale stood up the 427th RS two months ago: it is the "ops squadron" for the MC-12, as opposed to the FTU.

You'll have to ask the MC-12 guys here whether the changes could cause you to get retained by the MC-12 community for more than the ~11 months that the "flow through" pilots stayed there. That's the only "complication" I can see.

Any visibility on whether the Air Staff is going to lift the moratorium on ANG/AFRC applications?

As with everything... rather than get all of your info in the internet, call Maj Bartholomew at U-2 Recruiting.

Flying: Two different jets, good deployment locations. I'd say the flying is very good.

Queep: The reality is that this is ACC, and you cannot hide from ACC queep. It's probably as bad here as anywhere else.

I came here as a FAIP, so I can't compare it to another MWS (except for my 1 year in the MC-12), but it has it's own unique things about it.

You are always welcome to come to the U-2 squadron on leave, TDY, AWOL, whatever... and spend a day with us looking around. If you are considering applying, you owe it to yourself.

If you come to the U-2, and end up not liking it, you have only yourself to blame. No one forced you to apply.

Edited by Huggyu2

Are guys right now typically sticking with the U-2 for the rest of their careers? Are any transferring back to previous MWS's or is that even an option?

Most make this their MWS, and stay.

Some,... not many,... will move on elsewhere. However, very, very few go back to their MWS. I can't think of anyone in many years that has done so.

About 4 went to the 89th, but not from Beale: they left Beale and went to Staff or ROTC, etc... then to the 89th.

Usually 1 will go to TPS every 1-2 years.

Many will go on to some interesting non-flying assignments (PhD program, Olmstead, off-the-wall-and-no-one-has-heard-of-it-PME in residence, NRO, etc...

Ill say it again: this is not a cure-all for the evils of the Air Force. Many/most pilots would probably not like the U-2 program. Everyone has their own reason for volunteering.

Apply because you want to be in the U-2,... not because you want to escape where you are.

If you don't have a desire to be in the program, you probably won't like it.

Edited by Huggyu2

• 1 month later...