U-2 Dragonlady info

Guest thebronze

1 hour ago, Best-22 said:

What other flying gigs would you recommend? Airlines seem boring compared to what I do now.

I have friends flying for CalFire and also firefighting in the northwest. Police ISR, medevac, or have flown contracting for state and fed government. Long line work, overseas support (both mil and civ stuff). There’s more out there.

Using firefighting as an example, depending on region you might only fly from April-October so the rest of the year is yours. I have a buddy who lives on a diveboat in Palau during the off-season. 

Lots of options out there. The caveat is I don’t know of any that pay what you’d make after a few years in the airlines, but you can live pretty comfortably. 

Edited by Bigred
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Best-22 said:

What other flying gigs would you recommend? Airlines seem boring compared to what I do now.

Have friends that fly fire, and honestly I’d love to do it, but the pay and time away from home is a total non-starter. But for the guy living in Palau the rest of the year, sounds like he is nailing it…for his specific life situation. Personally, GA (p61/91/141) has been my filler for the “thrilling/fulfilling” flying. You also never know who you’ll meet and what cool flying you can find yourself getting into…there’s a ton out there that is way beyond a 172. I’ve flown a lot of cool shit so far that I didn’t spend a dime on; make connections, people like your mil flying background and the assumed capabilities that come with it. Airlines may also approve p135 flying if its deemed not to conflict. YMMV on that approval, but there’s some pretty fun 135 stuff out there. 

The airline provides all the $ and free time you need to do these things. So, I look at it as a solid job that affords me these fun and challenging flying opportunities and means to support my family (plus all my other hobbies). No need to see it as your only option for flying in life after the mil, it’s just a good job.

Edit: If your spouse is making solid $ and has a strong future in that job, or you have a great earning potential from real estate or something else, then the financials of the airlines may not be as big of an allure. At that point there are lots of options for fun flying, they just won’t pay the bills like you’re currently used to as an O-4/O-5 in the AF.

Edited by brabus
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Best-22 said:

Good question to ask. Consider starting a new, relevant thread on the topic. 

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

How did a job posting turn into an airline debate.

Biden and those millennial SNAPs… who are starting to hit military retirement age. 

Edited by jice

1 hour ago, Polar Bear said:

I have a friend who does fires on the helo side and he works 2 weeks on 2 weeks off and has the rest of the year off. Doesn’t make airline money but he still makes six figures. 

I could make maybe a little north of $100k (all taxable vs. only ~ half of mil pay being taxable). That just doesn’t cut it for me, but it may for someone else who has some nice additional income sources (spouse, passive real estate, etc). Also be ready to miss almost the entire summer and also be gone in the spring and fall for training, aircraft deliveries, etc. If you have kids, that’s a real deal killer for many. 

But again, that all may be irrelevant to some people, in which case go for it, because I imagine the flying is awesome and rewarding. 

• 1 month later...

What I see in that article is hardly "journalism".  "Wobbly", "bulbous" and "gliding at the edge of space" are terms better suited to a freshman Creative Writing course.  

Ms Cohen doesn't have her facts even close... appears to know nothing about the U-2... hasn't provided much in the way of sources other than Sen Budd "noting the service's plan".  

Could it happen?  I guess so.  I'm no insider to the workings of the staff world.  Far from it. 

It's no secret that SeCAF is in favor of retiring it.  But with the continued successes we've had lately (don't ask), a 2026 retirement is something I'll gladly throw down a large stack of 2 dollar bills and bet against.  

edit:  writing this reminded me of something.  In late 2010, Ben Iannotta of C4ISR Journal wrote an opinion piece about the U-2 that I took exception too.  I was an active duty Lt Col flying the U-2, and wrote a rebuttal... and it got published.  I recall people I knew calling me and warning me about stirring the pot, since the U-2 was not in-vogue with some of AF and DoD leadership, especially VCJCS (Gen Cartwright... the guy later pardoned by Obama).  

Two months later, I was non-vol'd to the MC-12.  Coincidence?  

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Apparently, the U-2 disinformation campaign at the UPT bases is alive and well.  

To cut to the chase: 

- The U-2 Program is hiring.  There are no plans to not hire.  If anyone tells you  otherwise, irrespective of their rank, they are not telling you the truth.

- The U-2 Program is accepting FAIP's.  We have accepted FAIPS for at least 35 years, and there are no plans to stop hiring FAIPs.  If anyone tells you otherwise, irrespective of their rank, they are not telling you the truth.  

- We now have some wiggle room on minimum hours.  So if that is a concern, call us.  We might be able to waive some of your hours.  

I don't know if this bad info emanates from the staff... or from UPT SQ/CC's (like it did a number of years ago)... or from exactly where.  

If you want the truth about the U-2 assignment, don't speak to your DO, nor your commander.  Don't speak to AFPC (until it's time to get released, anyways).  Don't speak to your buddy at Base X that "thought about applying, but found out a bunch of bad stuff."  

So who do you speak to?  I'll get you in touch with the Recruiters, so contact me.  One recruiter is a Reservist and I don't want to put his personal contact info in this post (he isn't on his govt email that much).   Maj Beamer moved and a new active duty recruiter is settling in.  Contact me privately for their contact info.  As for me, I'm on the Global as Jonathan Huggins.  Or you can pm me here.  I'm out on leave for a few weeks and won't be checking email until mid July, so ping me here if it is time critical.  

If you want U-2 facts, go to the source.  That source is centered in a room that measures about 40x15 in the zip code of 95903.  If the person you're talking to doesn't have a desk within 22 meters of that room, take what they say with a grain of salt.  

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 5

11 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

Where do I send my application?

I'd pay good money to watch you try to stuff your arse in the suit. 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Danger41 said:

Assuming one gets hired, what is the typical training progression? T-38 then U-2 or vice versa? T-38 in house or at PIT?

T-38 then U-2. Expect 3-ish months from checking in to 38 qual. Then 6-8 months for U-2 qual. All done in-house. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Bigred said:

T-38 then U-2. Expect 3-ish months from checking in to 38 qual. Then 6-8 months for U-2 qual. All done in-house. 

That sounds like an awesome deal.  Need any retired tanker guys to give it a go?? Hahaha

1 hour ago, Bergman said:

That sounds like an awesome deal.  Need any retired tanker guys to give it a go?? Hahaha

It’s absolutely a great deal. I wish more dudes would apply and take advantage of it. Flying in the suit is actually enjoyable once you get used to it, the view up high is incredible, and being able to go f-off in a 38 for a 1.3 every now and again is icing on the cake. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Bergman said:

Need any retired tanker guys to give it a go?? Hahaha

Why not?  They took a washed up FAIP who was his squadron commander's least favorite IP.  

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1